ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Which team do you miss the most?

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Which team do you miss the most?

Postby LewisA on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 am

Here's a memorial thread dedicated to those teams no longer with us, but which we still remember with fondness from times gone by.

I often look back to the late 90s and early 2000s, when the midfield was awash with colour; the orange of Arrows, the green of Jaguar, the yellow of Jordan and the dark blue of Prost Grand Prix.

Which teams do YOU miss the most?

Favourite team: McLaren | Favourite circuit: Monza | Favourite sport: F1!
LewisA

Re: Which team do you miss the most?

Postby f1datavis on Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Well, of course two of those teams are still with us as Force India and Red Bull Racing and long may they last and evolve. That is the nature of F1 - Toleman became Benetton became Renault became Lotus. Tyrell became BAR became Honda became Brawn became Mercedes. Torro Rosso was Minardi. I love the fact that the team that gave Ayrton his first drive now has Kimi racing for them. Ken Tyrell is a legend, and his hard work is still in the hand of Schumacher, and gave Button the title in 2009.

The Arrows team's cars were later used by Super Aguri (one of which was famously a display item in Melbourne airport). The team was based in the Leafield Technical Centre - Arrow's last home before being shut down. Arrows heritage now falls onto Caterham, who recently set up their factory in Leafield at the Arrows/Super Aguri facility.

I miss Brabham. I miss the brilliantly flaky teams who could sometimes scrape together the money to enter a few races: Andrea Moda, Coloni, Simtek, PAcific, Forti - all in the 1992-1996 era. It was a mess, the cars were crap, pre-qualifying was a must as there were too many entrants, but was hand to mouth stuff and saw entrants from people who could nail together enough of a machine to maybe do some laps. They did it because they wanted to try, and wasted a tonne of money.

Fantastic, as Murray would have said at the time. :sun:
f1datavis

Postby LewisA on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:11 pm

f1datavis wrote:Well, of course two of those teams are still with us as Force India and Red Bull Racing and long may they last and evolve. That is the nature of F1 - Toleman became Benetton became Renault became Lotus. Tyrell became BAR became Honda became Brawn became Mercedes. Torro Rosso was Minardi. I love the fact that the team that gave Ayrton his first drive now has Kimi racing for them. Ken Tyrell is a legend, and his hard work is still in the hand of Schumacher, and gave Button the title in 2009.

Oh yes of course, but a when a team changes ownership, many other things change too, like the colours, the boss, the management, the team's attitude and most of all, the team's spirit.
LewisA

Postby Funkmother on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:53 pm

I liked the Arrows cars but I didn't like the guy that ran the team (Walkingshaw). Spyker were okay too.

I liked Prost. The cars were a good colour and they were fast at times too. They just couldn't get the finances together.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby punky2 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:12 am

Williams :hihi:
punky2

Postby f1datavis on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:28 am

Yeah. Whatever happened to them? :D
f1datavis

Postby LewisA on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:13 am

I still dream of the great day that is yet to dawn, when Williams return permanently to the front.
LewisA

Postby Ciro Pabón on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:38 am

It's nice to see someone wants to remember the great teams of yesterday.

I miss Abba, for example. Great team.

I don't wanna talk...

... about the things we've gone through...

... though it's hurting me, now it's history...

... I've played all my cards, and that's what you've done too...

... nothing more to say, no more ace to play...

The winner takes it all...

... the loser standing small...

... besides the victory...

...that's her destinyyyyyyy... The winner takes it aaaaaallllll...

I have not included 2011 in the data. Please? Pretty please? Someone? F1datavis?

I cannot do it, I'm too busy listening to "Fernando".
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby f1datavis on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:35 am

Not this week mate - horrible week at work...
f1datavis

Postby LewisA on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Excellent stats! Thanks for posting! :clap:
LewisA

Postby Ciro Pabón on Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:25 am

f1datavis wrote:Not this week mate - horrible week at work...

Unlike the other weeks... 8) So, next week it is?

Thanks, Lewis.

To be sincere, the team I miss the most is Bugatti. The story of Ettore efforts is heart breaking.

Most successful car in the history of Grand Prix, Bugatti Type 35 (and arguably, the most beautiful):

Bugatti Type 35 engine: notice the cabling

Bugatti engine with Guilloché finishing. Hand scraped, the block was so smooth it did not need gaskets.

Fabergé egg with Guilloché

Reflection on a hand scraped rail: hand scrapping does not cause thermal disturbances, so the result is better than machining. Yeah, I'm sure of that.

Hand scrapping also gives excellent oil retention: close up of the block showing the marks of the artisan. The only force used is gravity, you do not push the scrapper. Imagine doing a block in this way.

That was not a team, that was a religion.

Mr. Bugatti mocked precisely the idea of Rolls Royce type cars: he called them "the world fastest lorries". I wonder what he would say of a Bugatti Veyron.
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby Lawrence on Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:32 pm

punky2 wrote:Williams :hihi:

That was my first thought when I saw this thread...except it wasn't a joke !!!

What I really miss is the individual entrepenuer, putting together a team and building it up through hard work, perseverance, clever designs, and good engineering. Think Williams, Jordan, Toleman, even Minardi (although sort of shy on the clever part). John McDonald's RAM team comes to mind.

Not in love with the corporate teams (BMW had to be my all time least favorite team), I only love corporations as much as they love me.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby LewisA on Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Lawrence wrote:Not in love with the corporate teams (BMW had to be my all time least favorite team), I only love corporations as much as they love me.

These teams never usually last long. It'll be interesting to see how long Merc can stick it out.
LewisA

Postby Ciro Pabón on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:12 pm

If living is lasting... I prefer a short AC/DC song to a long song by Enya.

Great teams have members that share... so fuck the manager's wife
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby Lawrence on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:38 pm

LewisA wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Not in love with the corporate teams (BMW had to be my all time least favorite team), I only love corporations as much as they love me.

These teams never usually last long. It'll be interesting to see how long Merc can stick it out.

Well, Team Fiat and Renault have been around for a while. It depends. We had a lot of corporations come in during the last ten years with the express intent to win...and they can't all win. Furthermore, the economy softened considerably in the last 5 years...so they left. But....they will be back. Obviously with Mercedes hiring Hamilton, at least one person thinks they are going to be around for another three years. We shall see.

On the other hand, I have never seen anyone actually measure the average length a corporate teams survives in F1 versus the average length in privateer team survives in F1.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Next

Return to The History Section