ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Historic GP 1947 - help with driver identification.

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Historic GP 1947 - help with driver identification.

Postby Chris E on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:09 am

Hi,

As a close relative passed some time ago - I was given a tin box with some of his belongings from his earlier years - photos, letters to his mom from summer camp, first drivers licence etc. In the midst of all these - there was a ticket from the Sweden Winter Grand Prix of 1947. As I turned the ticket around I found a set of autographs - among others the one of wellknown GP driver Louis Chiron. However - I can't make out the others - can anyone help? It could be drivers, mechanics... anything really? But being very close to this relative and myself having an interest in motors and racing - it would be fun to know who the others are. :-)

Any help or info on this matter is appreciated! Thanks!

// Chris
Chris E

Re: Historic GP 1947 - help with driver identification.

Postby Lyria on Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:43 am

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum :shiny:

What an interesting story you have there as well. I have to say 1947 is well before my time but I'd like to help if I can. Did a quick google search and found this place, http://www.chicanef1.com/racetit.pl?gp= ... r=1947&r=1 or maybe this place http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/arch ... .html#swed

I wondered if they might be of any interest to you, they name the people who took part in that race and I wondered if you could make any of the names fit. Have to say from the look I had I couldn't see any names that fit so the others could be team members as you say. How you'd go about finding out about that I am not so sure.

Our own site here has some information on Louis Chiron http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/drv-chilou.html

I hope that is some sort of help to you and good luck with your search :shiny:

Lyria

Postby Chris E on Tue May 01, 2012 8:14 am

Thanks Lyria. It's a long shot really - but I just thought it would be fun to know. It seems to have been a pretty hardcore race, open cars, no helmets, -25 degrees celsius in the morning and some of the racecars being shipped in was stuck as the ship froze in the ice and couldn't get into the docks - haha.

A short clip is found here - if anyone is interested in history: http://svtplay.se/v/1370301/grand_prix_pa_rommehed_1947 - narrated in swedish, unfortunately? - but at least its proof that we swedes don't sound like the chef in The Muppet Show. (youtube it for comparison if you must.)

:hihi:
Chris E

Postby Lyria on Wed May 02, 2012 3:27 pm

You're right Chris E, it is interesting stuff and even more so when you have a connection to it, however large or small.

We look at modern day racing and how safe it is, yet it's miles away from what used to happen. Can you see the modern day racers going through all that? They say motor racing is risky these days, well it is in some ways, but nothing like the risks they took back then! I think you had to be more than a little bit crazy to race like that, yet I can see the thrill of it all too. Hmm not sure what that says about me :hihi:

Good luck with your quest, I really hope you find some information that you are after. :shiny:
Lyria

Return to The History Section