ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Winter testing & 2012 Car Launch news

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Winter testing & 2012 Car Launch news

Postby grunf77 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:46 am

IMO, current testing form:

1. RBR/Macca but I'll give slightly edge to Macca
3. Ferrari
4.Merc
5.Lotus
6.Force India/STR advantage FI
8.Sauber/Williams
10.Catheram
Listen, it was hard enough to drive those heavy old cars back then under normal circumstances, but with a crazed monkey clawing you at the same time, it becomes nearly impossible! http://www.timflock.com/jocko.htm
grunf77

Postby Mafia on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Now then, Testing Finished. Here is what i think about the teams so far...

Redbull.
Quick, but I am happy that few other teams have caught up, may be even passed Redbull. Once again I insist that they will be outrun by teams with bigger resources in terms of In-season development race, as last year they were clearly more then a second per lap ahead of the rest at the start but at the end the gap was down to a tenth or may be less, thanks to rapid development by the likes of Mclaren and somewhat ferrari.

Mclaren.
2012 Dark Horse, I seriously think that considering both of Mclaren drivers with 2011 form, Jenson is a very very strong candidate for the championship but if lewis get his act together, otherwise. I will put Mclaren as favorite for both championships.

Ferrari.
Growing Wrinkles on engineers foreheads and never ending frowns hidden behind fake smiles of Fernando and felipe during press sessions were the tell tell signs that Meranello based squad once again proved how not to make a fast F1 car. it eats its tyres to canves before it leave the pits and has little or no mechanical grip in slow corners has made it the least desirable car to start the season with. but that wont stop a good show from them in 2012, thanks to Spectacular alonso drives. Remember you heard it hear first.

Mercedes.
To me, they have made the most of winter testing. I reckon they will be the team challenging Mclaren for victories and preventing Redbull to take points off. Nico can easily break his win-less streak but, i am sensing, he will be beaten by Chumaxer in the end.

Lotus.
Fast, Reliable, consistently on the podiums, even on the top most step too, occasionally over the next 20 rounds. Gross Jean outscoring kimi in the start but then Iceman will find his vodka drink bottle. Lotus will be a big pain in the ass for Mclaren, Mercedes and Redbull by coming out of nowhere and stealing important points.

Force India.
Quick sometime, but will find it hard to clear themselves from the midpack to go upfront.

Sauber.
Decent Car, Ugly though, but will be able to score consistently (May be not higher then 7th or 6th).

Williams.
Will pass their last year points total in first race, and will end season on ten times more points then they managed last year. Decent progress ehhhh?

Caterham.
First of the new teams to register a point finish, more then once i believe. Solid bet to challenge Williams.

Toro Rosso.
Good Car, Fired up drivers, I reckon they will form a tight 4 way battle for the mid with Sauber, Force India and williams (May be).

HRT.
:confused:

Marrusia.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Silver Fox on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:50 pm

I can't disagree too much with that summation Maf, except that I think you might be being a little too kind to Merc. The way I see it at the moment is that Macca might be just a fraction slower than RBR but will win more points on reliability (a strong RBR factor last year). Similarly with Merc and Lotus (with Lotus being the more unreliable one). Ferrari I only put at 5th whilst they try to understand their car (with the potential for them to go much higher if they do ever figure it out). Snapping at their heels are the midfield of Sauber / STR / William & FI (which, from what I have seen to date are much of a muchness) with Caterham around half a second off them and waiting to pounce if any of them get their setup wrong. Finally we have Marussia & HRT who both will be doing very well simply to get 2 cars home in the 1st few races...
Proud sponsor of 'The Team with No Name...'
Silver Fox

Postby Ciro Pabón on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:10 am

Should I put it gently? Listen, guys, test times are worth ... what's the word? Shut? Shot? Shet? English is complicated, lemme tell you.

However, I notice Maf and Grunff give and edge to Macccccca.

Note to self: do not talk about Macca in front of Grunff or Maf. Under any circumstances. Ever. Remind myself to never argue about Hamiltonians, Green Eggs and Ham or Clark and Lewis expedition.
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby Mafia on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 am

the word(s) you might be looking for is "shoot me in the head". Thats what i was thinking while saying "stuph" about Mclaren. after 12 days of following live "Aato sport" coverage of testicling, I arrived at a point where i found MacLaurens doing pretty much uniform lap times in long stints (Ten 2 twelve laps long runs on specifik tyrez) Where as Redbulls or any other were looozing like two 2 three 10'z in every lap and by the end of ten 2 twelve lap stint, a good three 2 four sekonds off the starting "pase".

I am not a Mac Lauren fan, and i dont like Hamlet at all, I just said what i thot.

Cud I be any more akurate?
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Funkmother on Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:54 am

Ciro Pabón wrote:Should I put it gently? Listen, guys, test times are worth ... what's the word? ...

Jack.

+1 :clap:
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Sinister on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:53 am

Funkmother wrote:
Ciro Pabón wrote:Should I put it gently? Listen, guys, test times are worth ... what's the word? ...

Jack.

Poor Jack, he is worth nothing. :yaynot: :yaynot:

Yeah I also agree with our talkative South American friend that test times is not that important. Also it's soooooooo damn boring!! What's so interesting about test times? We prefer the actual racing thank you very much.
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby Lyria on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Sinister wrote:
Funkmother wrote:

Jack.

Poor Jack, he is worth nothing. :yaynot: :yaynot:

Yeah I also agree with our talkative South American friend that test times is not that important. Also it's soooooooo damn boring!! What's so interesting about test times? We prefer the actual racing thank you very much.

Agreed. If you believe the testing times Kobayashi could be world champion :rotflmao:
Lyria

Postby Ciro Pabón on Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks, fartative Briton friend!
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby Sinister on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Ciro Pabón wrote:Thanks, fartative Briton friend!

Your welcome. :hihi: :hihi:

:shy:

Sinister

Postby Funkmother on Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 am

That'll be "You're welcome", Sin. :cop:

Look, after the hiatus that is the summer season, not the winter season as many people seem to think, I can understand people being desperate for some on-track action. For sure, it is exciting to see cars running again (even with "inelegant" noses) but testing is testing, not qualifying. Most of them are not going for fastest times most of the time. I don't think its that they cannot be believed but testing times are a poor indicator as to the relative speed of the cars, I believe, especially when everybody is running their own programme and there isn't even scrutineering to check that the cars are legal. I think it is therefore folly, in my opinion, to base predictions of the coming season on the fastest laps seen in testing. But please, go right ahead. :clint:
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Dev on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:57 am

Funkmother wrote:That'll be "You're welcome", Sin. :cop:

^o^ ^o^

So, looking at the various season previews below, seems you lot aren't too convinced about Lotus' pace during testing? :evil:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Sinister on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Indeed. Thanks. :thumbs:

That's the 200th time I made that same mistake. :shy: :shy: Dunno why. :hihi:

Sinister

Postby Mafia on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:43 pm

Sinister wrote:

Indeed. Thanks. :thumbs:

That's the 200th time I made that same mistake. :shy: :shy: Dunno why. :hihi:

http://www.neither-do-i.com
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Dev on Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:44 am

Sinister wrote:That's the 200th time I made that same mistake. :shy: :shy: Dunno why. :hihi:

You are showing contempt for the English language. Be careful that the English lady named Lyria does not catch you!! :hihi: :p
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

PreviousNext

Return to The History Section