ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Winter testing & 2012 Car Launch news

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Winter testing & 2012 Car Launch news

Postby Mafia on Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:30 am

It seems Ferrari will be the first one to Kick off Car Launches.

Ferrari will launch their 2012 Formula One car in time for the first pre-season test in February, a team spokesman revealed.

No date was fixed but the first test is scheduled for Spain’s Jerez circuit on Feb. 7-9.

Rivals Mercedes have already said they will not have their new car on track until the second test in Barcelona on Feb. 21 to give themselves as much time as possible for design and development.

Under new rules this year, cars can take part in testing only once they have passed mandatory FIA (International Automobile Federation) crash tests.

That means teams have to decide between maximising development in the factory and missing out on track time, or getting in more testing but signing off earlier on the design process.

Ferrari won only one race this year, with Fernando Alonso in Britain, and finished third overall.

Meanwhile, Fernando Alonso is hard at work with engineers and simulator to sought out 2012 challenger.
Fernando Alonso has visited Ferrari’s Maranello headquarters “on several occasions” since the 2011 season ended in Brazil.

“Now, he has travelled to Maranello to be at the controls of the simulator for several days until Monday,” said the report.

AS continued: “In fact, unlike normally, the Spaniard was unable to attend an event for Shell this week with journalists in Madrid.

“Instead he is in Italy trying different solutions for the 2012 car, which has been in the developing phase for some time as Ferrari hopes to return to winning ways.”

Meanwhile Ferrari’s 2012 car will be ready to roll at the first official test of the winter pre-season.

A spokesman for the Italian team told Reuters as well as Autosprint (Italy) and SID news agency (Germany) that the new single seater will be revealed before its Jerez debut in early February.

A precise launch date was not specified.

“Definitely, the new project is a clean break with the past and a very different one,” Luca Colajanni is quoted as saying.
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Re: Winter testing & 2012 Car Launch news

Postby Sinister on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:51 am

While Alonso is hard at work, his team mate Massa is sitting on his Daddy's lap crying about how Hamilton keeps on bullying him. :hihi:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby Sinister on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:42 pm

Dull news

Sauber launch date

The Sauber team has announced it will unveil its 2012 challenger ahead of the start of testing at the Jerez circuit.

Sauber's Ferrari-powered C31 will be launched at the Spanish track on February 6 before it takes to the track on the following day.

The first test of 2012 will take place at Jerez on February 7-9.

:cowsleep: :cowsleep: :cowsleep:

Sinister

Postby Sinister on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:34 am

More boring news.

Ferrari will launch its 2012 Formula 1 challenger on February 3 at Maranello, team principal Stefano Domenicali has confirmed.

Speaking at the annual Wroom event, Domenicali said that Ferrari also planned to ........

....blah blah blah, I couldn't be arsed to copy and paste the rest :talkhand: as I was falling asleep. :eerie:

Sinister

Postby tifosi77 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Lotus's rivals set to be forced to copy innovative reactive ride height system
For the life of me, I can't figure out how a system like this works, never mind question its legality.

If it truly is permitted to be raced, and the field are all forced to follow suit, fair play to Renault for their ingenuity.
"S**t, p**s, f**k, c**t", c**ksucker, motherf**ker and t*ts" -- George Carlin
tifosi77

Postby Dev on Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:50 am

Indeed. Don't forget that the FIA banned both the Renault J Dampers and the McLaren F Duct. Can't see the problem with either of them.
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Mafia on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Well, i think its going to be good for F1.

Top three teams (Jagbulls, Mclarens and Ferrari) will be fast anyway, lotus and Mercs joining them with their innovative systems, so it would be a fantastic mix.
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Ciro Pabón on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:26 pm

Well, Tif, apparently it's simple. Lotus has said nothing (they're not that stupid) but rumours say:

You brake, the brake sustains a torque. This torque is usually transmitted to the chassis via fixed bolts. Now, if the brakes are supported by a hydraulic cylinder instead of using bolts, then the hydraulic pressure developed in this "master" cylinder can be used to push other "secondary" cylinders in the pushrods (or pullrods) that reestablish the height of the car.

It's like Sin farting and propelling himself forward with the HUGE pressure he can create(action-reaction). But then the people at Lotus plugs a master cylinder in Sin's rear end (well done, Lotus!). The hydraulic pressure created by the fart in this master cylinder is used to drive a secondary cylinder placed in front of Sin that pushes him back again (reaction farting system, you could call it). I guess this is simple enough for everybody to understand. :hungry:

Reaction system explained. Ugghhhh. You won't see this in Autosport!

This is very different from the system used in NASCAR, that relies on bending the A-arms.

FIA has said nothing as the system doesn't change the ride height, simply it tries to maintain the height.

I say "tries" because the system doesn't work until the car actually dives (and create the pressure in the master cylinder that it's then transmitted to the cylinder in the pushrods). So, the car dives, but less. It's anybody's guess how the car brakes (you lose some downforce, then regain it when the system kicks in).

Of course, I assume everybody here understand that as regular cars dive under braking, the air flow under the tray is restricted, because of the smaller clearance between the tray and the floor. If you can keep the ride height under braking, the air flow is constant, thus better downforce.

This system also (I think) makes you lose front wing downforce: the front wing, unlike the tray, works better when closer to the ground.

BTW, Dev, the J-Damper was McLaren's (legal). The mass damper was Renault's (illegal).

On a related new, Ferrari failed its first crash test...
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby Silver Fox on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Ciro Pabón wrote:....This system also (I think) makes you lose front wing downforce: the front wing, unlike the tray, works better when closer to the ground.

If my reading on the subject is correct (and in agreeing with you that the front wing works better the closer it is to the ground) my understanding is that the whole point of the system is to allow the cars to be set up at rest with a lower front ride height (i.e. wings closer to the ground) without the fear as at present of the wings actually hitting the ground when the driver hits the brakes. If that's right it would mean higher downforce levels during 'normal' driving with the same downforce levels during braking.

I'm also not so sure at to your assertion re: it 'trying' to maintain ride height. As the system is energised via a hydraulic cylinder attached between the brake caliper and its mounting point it does not react to the car's nose dipping but rather to the torque generated by the brake pads against the disc. Given that operating methodology my guess is that they'll need some pretty fancy valving somewhere in the system to balance the hydraulic force generated against the car's natural tendency to dip it's nose due to the forward weight shift encountered during braking if they are not - in reality - going to end up suffering from the car's nose actually lifting rather than dropping during braking... :eek: :eek: :eek:
Proud sponsor of 'The Team with No Name...'
Silver Fox

Postby Ciro Pabón on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:39 pm

Erm... yes. It seems entirely logical; thanks, Silver Master.

However, you might take in account Ciro's Immutable Law of Formula One Forums: "the number of different hypotheses erected to explain a given mechanical innovation is inversely proportional to available knowledge".

We also have Tif's Corollary to Ciro's Law: "mechanical innovations are divided scientifically into three major categories: (1) those that don't work; (2) those that break down; and (3) those that are illegal".
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby Mafia on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:58 am

Ciro Pabón wrote:We also have Tif's Corollary to Ciro's Law: "mechanical innovations are divided scientifically into three major categories: (1) those that don't work; (2) those that break down; and (3) those that are illegal".

Heyy you missed the fourth one..

(4) The ones people dont know off but they exist (e.g RB7)

I am surprised by the comment of some F1 pundit in last few races of 2011, dont recall which one was that. Seb was doing about 2 seconds faster then the rest, everyone was on same fuel load and same kindaa tire situation, and was told to ease off, quite vigorously by rocky, And Horner, and so many other guys! as they were worried someone might take notice of their true speed which people believe they've been hiding. FIA may peel off their RB7 only to find there are two aliens engaging and disengaging gears in the gearbox, three more blowing farts through the diffusers, and so on!... Oh well, the point is, i still believe there is/was something unknown on that car that RB successfully kept in the dark from the rest.
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Dev on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:10 am

Good picture, Ciro. Well done :thumbs: :hihi:

Ciro Pabón wrote:BTW, Dev, the J-Damper was McLaren's (legal). The mass damper was Renault's (illegal).

Is it? I stand corrected then. :tophat:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Lyria on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:23 pm

Nicely explained Ciro, you did it in such a way even I understand it now! I know, shocking isn't it? :hihi:

So is this similar to something Red Bull have been running already given how the others were watching their front wing and complaining it does things it shouldn't be doing? Or do I not understand it as much as I'd hoped? :roll:
Lyria

Postby Sinister on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:30 pm

How did I get dragged into this? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :shy:

Sinister

Postby Silver Fox on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Ciro Pabón wrote:Erm... yes. It seems entirely logical; thanks, Silver Master....

My pleasure Ciro... :beer: :beer: :beer:

Oh, there is just one more thing: In fully appreciating your very graphic yet simple descriptive picture explaining Newton's third law of motion I would just like (in my pedantic sort of way) to highlight the fact that, as it's purely based on farts, the 'Sin reactive system' you so elequently described is in fact - unlike the Lotus system - pnuematic, not hydraulic... :cop:

Unless, of course, in the act of initiating it, he followed through..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :hihi:
Proud sponsor of 'The Team with No Name...'
Silver Fox

Next

Return to The History Section