ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2011 Brazilian Grandprix Weekend

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2011 Brazilian Grandprix Weekend

Postby Lyria on Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:19 pm

grunf77 wrote:Nice gearbox problem. :noway: :roll:

I feel a conspiracy theory could be coming from that remark :roll:
Lyria

Postby Sinister on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has dismissed suggestions that Sebastian Vettel's gearbox problem may have been a 'phantom' designed to give team-mate Mark Webber a morale-boosting victory in the Brazilian Grand Prix.

The German started from pole position, having broken a tie with Nigel Mansell for the most in a single season, but lasted only 14 laps out front before being given a warning to short-shift in second gear. Despite the caution, however, Vettel continued to press on, and set fastest laps, before further warnings prompted him to move aside for Webber at the start of lap 30.

Instead of fading into retirement, however, Vettel continued to keep his team-mate honest, running close enough to retake the lead during two subsequent pit-stop windows and posting various fastest sectors before eventually crossing the line in second place, still seven seconds ahead of McLaren's Jenson Button. Despite Vettel comparing his race to Ayrton Senna's 1991 performance, where the Brazilian won his home race with just sixth gear at his disposal, cynics suggested that he may not have had a real problem, aware that victory could have propelled Webber into second place in the standings if both Button and Fernando Alonso had retired.

"Of course, there will always be people that have theories but, categorically, there was an issue," Horner insisted to reporters, "If anybody thinks that [result] was concocted in any way, I can absolutely, hand on heart, guarantee you, based on the blood pressure that was on the pit-wall, [that] it was a genuine issue."

"How on earth that gearbox got to the end of the race is beyond me. There must be zero oil left in it because it literally went off the scale in those last five laps. We were glued to the data to see if it was going to make it to the end."
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby Funkmother on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:40 am

Paul wrote:Got a bit bored for a while there but it turned out to be a good'n in the end.
Even though I am an Alonso supporter, and he did better than I thought possible in the car he had this year, the Podium was very satisfying for me
Mark well deserved a win, Vet did the best he could with the gear box probs, and Jenson did a blistering last ten laps, proving once again ( although I seem to be the only one who thinks so)that he is Hamilton's better. 8)

Interesting points there Paul. I agree that Fernando lifted the Ferrari this year beyond where one might expect it to finish. I think the real potential of the car was somewhere between Fernando and Felipe.

I have mixed feelings about Mark's win. Yes, based on his performance over the season I think he deserved it. For once he didn't go backwards at the start so that was encouraging but in some ways it was like Lewis' win in Abu Dhabi: he was only there because Seb had problems. There again, problems are part of the luck of motor racing and they've all had their issues over the course of the season. Seb's bad luck only occurred at the end of the season.

As for Jenson, you might have something there too. I think he has certainly shown himself to be more solid than Lewis. Lewis can be blindingly fast on some occasions but he can also be a bit of a loose canon. Jenson seems a bit more dependable. Lewis: faster over one lap. Jenson: faster over the season.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby grunf77 on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:08 pm

Lyria wrote:

It just didn't feel right, he was fast with dodgy gearbox almost as other guys in good cars. :confused:
Maybe Red bull is just that big monster of the car. :alien:
Listen, it was hard enough to drive those heavy old cars back then under normal circumstances, but with a crazed monkey clawing you at the same time, it becomes nearly impossible! http://www.timflock.com/jocko.htm
grunf77

Postby Silver Fox on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:48 pm

grunf77 wrote:
Lyria wrote:

It just didn't feel right, he was fast with dodgy gearbox almost as other guys in good cars. :confused:

Agreed. RBR threw Webbo a bone and he picked it up and knawed on it. He knew that himself (you could see it in his eyes in the post race press conference). If the Vet really had have had a gearbox problem from lap 5 his race would have ended up the same as the hamster's. Instead he still managed to set fastest sector times right up until the end of the race, making it a stitch up, pure and simple... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Proud sponsor of 'The Team with No Name...'
Silver Fox

Postby Lyria on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 am

Silver Fox wrote:
grunf77 wrote:
Lyria wrote:

Agreed. RBR threw Webbo a bone and he picked it up and knawed on it. He knew that himself (you could see it in his eyes in the post race press conference). If the Vet really had have had a gearbox problem from lap 5 his race would have ended up the same as the hamster's. Instead he still managed to set fastest sector times right up until the end of the race, making it a stitch up, pure and simple... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Have to say I was thinking the same thing, though the team are vehemently denying it of course. I don't want to believe they'd do that but it does seem likely even to me and we all know I'd normally defend them. :yaynot:
Lyria

Postby Dev on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:38 am

Apologies for the late post, but here goes...

Red Bull were dominant, but I have my doubts about that 'gearbox problem'. Coming after Mark Webber said that he wouldn't want to win a race due to team orders, this was the elegant solution they thought of. Mark I'm guessing had no idea if Seb's problem was genuine, or if he did, he kept mum. At least he wins a race, is happy to end the season on a high. Boy, were the Red Bulls quick though.... :eek: :eek:

Overtaking move of the day, Alonso on Button at Turn 6. Amazing stuff. :clap: :clap: Happy that Button found his way back past Alonso though. Great drive to win the Best of the Rest trophy. :clap: :clap: Not much to say about Lewis, his car had genuine gearbox problems, although Massa was probably relieved about that.

Superb drive from Sutil to 6th, and well done to Sauber and Lotus for achieving their championship targets. Kobayashi drove a quick and measured race to not mess things up for Uncle Peter's gang.

2011 season probably ended in India, the last two races were snoozers. Shame about the lack of entertainment. :|
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Previous

Return to The History Section