ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2011 Singapore Grandprix Weekend

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2011 Singapore Grandprix Weekend

Postby mnmracer on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:16 pm

Although there was not much of a threat to Sebastian Vettel's victory at the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix, statistically speaking it was quite an interesting race to follow, with Vettel hunting for a record and Hamilton actually achieving one.

After starting from pole and leading the race for every lap, Sebastian Vettel was just a fastest lap short of a Grand Slam: pole, fastest lap and led entire race. Just after his last pit stop, he was putting in some lightning fast laps and was on his way to this rare achievement until Jenson Button lapped in 1:48.454 with just 7 laps to go. Although Vettel kept improving on his first sector-times, the backmarkers and yellow flags in the final laps meant the Grand Slam was just out of reach.

Image
Not only would this have been a rare achievement, only 45 Grand Slams have been scored in the 61 year history of Formula One, but Vettel could have also become the youngest driver to score one. This record is currently still held by Ayrton Senna, who was just 25 years and 10 days old when he led the entire race from pole and set the fastest lap in the 1985 Portuguese Grand Prix. If Vettel wants to break this record, he needs to score one no later than the 2012 British Grand Prix on 8 july; 14 races from now.

Image
A record that no driver would want to break, was broken today by Lewis Hamilton. Already holding the record after getting 5 penalties in the 2008 season, the drive through penalty that was handed to the Brit after hitting Massa was his sixth of the season; no other driver was given as many penalties in a single season before. Regardless if all the incidents deserved to be penalized or not, Hamilton's 2011 season will go into the record books for at least one reason.

  1. Hamilton's first penalty of the season was a 20-second post race penalty at the Malaysian Grand Prix, for weaving when he was being overtaken by Alonso.
  2. At the Monaco Grand Prix, his only qualifying time in Q3 was deleted for cutting the chicane, demoting him from 7th to 9th on the grid.
  3. At the Monaco Grand Prix, he was given a drive-through penalty for 'causing an avoidable incident' after colliding with Felipe Massa.
  4. At the Monaco Grand Prix, he was given a 20-second post race penalty for 'causing an avoidable incident' after colliding with Pastor Maldonado.
  5. At the Hungarian Grand Prix, he was given a drive-through penalty for 'forcing another driver off the track' after spinning his car in front of Paul di Resta.
  6. At the Singapore Grand Prix, he was given a drive-through penalty for 'causing an avoidable incident' after colliding' with Felipe Massa.

Trivia
  • Just like last year, the numbers one and two of the race remained in that position for the entire race. Last year however, Alonso and Vettel actually started first and second, while Button moved into second position right after the start.
  • Although Vettel has lead 2/3 of all the laps this year, and many before that, this is actually the first race that Vettel has been leading for every lap of the race, including pit stops.
Forget the people around you now. Remember the little boy who was racing in go-karts, what you were dreaming of and what he wanted to achieve one day and what was his goal. Race for him.
Image
User avatar
mnmracer
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: 2011 Singapore Grandprix Weekend

Postby Dev on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:13 am

Paolo 2 wrote:McLaren - what's happening? is it true what they're saying? who's going to foot the (drivers') bill next year?


What's up? :confused:

Cheers for the stats, MnM. :thumbs:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
User avatar
Dev
 
Posts: 55533
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:01 am
Location: Minas Morgul

Re: 2011 Singapore Grandprix Weekend

Postby Paolo 2 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 am

Dev wrote:
Paolo 2 wrote:McLaren - what's happening? is it true what they're saying? who's going to foot the (drivers') bill next year?


What's up? :confused:



some say that part of the problem in the difficult relationship that Hamilton is enduring with McLaren stems from the fact that it's unclear who's going to pay (the drivers, etc) if Mercedes withdraws any support, I don't if that's true so I was asking you guys
Paolo 2
 
Posts: 2030
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: 2011 Singapore Grandprix Weekend

Postby Mafia on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:42 am

Paolo 2 wrote:some say that part of the problem in the difficult relationship that Hamilton is enduring with McLaren stems from the fact that it's unclear who's going to pay (the drivers, etc) if Mercedes withdraws any support,

:armchair:
Mercedes support? they've parted any such support at the start of last year. Its all TAG, Paying drivers and Merc.
Tough Luck!
User avatar
Mafia
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 9403
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:01 am
Location: Canada

Re: 2011 Singapore Grandprix Weekend

Postby Lyria on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:33 pm

mnmracer wrote:Although there was not much of a threat to Sebastian Vettel's victory at the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix, statistically speaking it was quite an interesting race to follow, with Vettel hunting for a record and Hamilton actually achieving one.

After starting from pole and leading the race for every lap, Sebastian Vettel was just a fastest lap short of a Grand Slam: pole, fastest lap and led entire race. Just after his last pit stop, he was putting in some lightning fast laps and was on his way to this rare achievement until Jenson Button lapped in 1:48.454 with just 7 laps to go. Although Vettel kept improving on his first sector-times, the backmarkers and yellow flags in the final laps meant the Grand Slam was just out of reach.

Image
Not only would this have been a rare achievement, only 45 Grand Slams have been scored in the 61 year history of Formula One, but Vettel could have also become the youngest driver to score one. This record is currently still held by Ayrton Senna, who was just 25 years and 10 days old when he led the entire race from pole and set the fastest lap in the 1985 Portuguese Grand Prix. If Vettel wants to break this record, he needs to score one no later than the 2012 British Grand Prix on 8 july; 14 races from now.

Image
A record that no driver would want to break, was broken today by Lewis Hamilton. Already holding the record after getting 5 penalties in the 2008 season, the drive through penalty that was handed to the Brit after hitting Massa was his sixth of the season; no other driver was given as many penalties in a single season before. Regardless if all the incidents deserved to be penalized or not, Hamilton's 2011 season will go into the record books for at least one reason.

  1. Hamilton's first penalty of the season was a 20-second post race penalty at the Malaysian Grand Prix, for weaving when he was being overtaken by Alonso.
  2. At the Monaco Grand Prix, his only qualifying time in Q3 was deleted for cutting the chicane, demoting him from 7th to 9th on the grid.
  3. At the Monaco Grand Prix, he was given a drive-through penalty for 'causing an avoidable incident' after colliding with Felipe Massa.
  4. At the Monaco Grand Prix, he was given a 20-second post race penalty for 'causing an avoidable incident' after colliding with Pastor Maldonado.
  5. At the Hungarian Grand Prix, he was given a drive-through penalty for 'forcing another driver off the track' after spinning his car in front of Paul di Resta.
  6. At the Singapore Grand Prix, he was given a drive-through penalty for 'causing an avoidable incident' after colliding' with Felipe Massa.

Trivia
  • Just like last year, the numbers one and two of the race remained in that position for the entire race. Last year however, Alonso and Vettel actually started first and second, while Button moved into second position right after the start.
  • Although Vettel has lead 2/3 of all the laps this year, and many before that, this is actually the first race that Vettel has been leading for every lap of the race, including pit stops.



Welcome to the forum mnmracer :sun: I hope you enjoy your time here with us, seems like you're happy to join right in which is good to know. :clap:
User avatar
Lyria
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 17749
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:01 am
Location: England

Re: 2011 Singapore Grandprix Weekend

Postby Dev on Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:01 am

Mafia wrote:
Paolo 2 wrote:some say that part of the problem in the difficult relationship that Hamilton is enduring with McLaren stems from the fact that it's unclear who's going to pay (the drivers, etc) if Mercedes withdraws any support,

:armchair:
Mercedes support? they've parted any such support at the start of last year. Its all TAG, Paying drivers and Merc.


McLaren will continue using Merc engines until 2014 (confirmed recently by Jonathan Neale IIRC).I am not sure how much they gain financially from Mercedes, but not much I presume.
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
User avatar
Dev
 
Posts: 55533
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:01 am
Location: Minas Morgul

Re: 2011 Singapore Grandprix Weekend

Postby Mafia on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Dev wrote:
Mafia wrote:
Paolo 2 wrote:some say that part of the problem in the difficult relationship that Hamilton is enduring with McLaren stems from the fact that it's unclear who's going to pay (the drivers, etc) if Mercedes withdraws any support,

:armchair:
Mercedes support? they've parted any such support at the start of last year. Its all TAG, Paying drivers and Merc.


McLaren will continue using Merc engines until 2014 (confirmed recently by Jonathan Neale IIRC).I am not sure how much they gain financially from Mercedes, but not much I presume.


None, Since Mclaren being customer, ends up paying mercedes some good amount
Tough Luck!
User avatar
Mafia
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 9403
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:01 am
Location: Canada

Previous

Return to The History Section

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Copyright 1988-2011, Inside F1, Inc.