ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2011 British Grandprix Weekend

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2011 British Grandprix Weekend

Postby MikaPup on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:44 pm

Dev wrote:
MikaPup wrote:And a special mention for the Force India engineer who designed their indestructible airgun rig. :clap:

Did I miss something? :confused:

Yes. :p
MikaPup

Postby Sinister on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Lyria wrote:
Grozza wrote:Did anyone else notice Bernie handing Prince Harry a largish brown envelope which Harry smiled at and quickly tucked away behind his back when he noticed the cameras were on him? This was pre-race during the grid walk coverage, I think. Perhaps Bernie was simply coughing up on a GP2 race bet?

It was his grid pass apparently, well that's what I heard him say anyway, 'here's your grid pass', so how he managed to get on there without one is anyones guess ;)

Yeah I too heard him say grid pass. Also I thought I saw something Greenish, not brown.

Burrpp
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby Sinister on Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Dev wrote:
MikaPup wrote:And a special mention for the Force India engineer who designed their indestructible airgun rig. :clap:

Did I miss something? :confused:

Sinister

Postby Atonal on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Did di Resta get any penalty for his collision? The stewarding was dodgy at best.

Anyway since we are discussing racers among the current grid it was amusing to watch (as far as I could catch) that only Hamilton and Schumacher were ballsy enough to go into the wet in order to overtake heading into Copse.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason. - John Cage
Atonal

Postby Dev on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks Sin. I do remember seeing that. Must be old age. :paul:

At least now I know I could rely on the ape here in the forum for help, :clap: unlike the wet dog. :loser:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Dev on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm

My (late) Brit GP Review!

F1 seems to have taken a backseat the past weekend, what with everything that's been going on in KL, as well as the fact that Dad celebrated his 70th birthday the same day. In between all the festivities, I just about managed to keep up to date with F1. So here's my random thoughts.

First up, good consistent drive from Alonso. He deserved to win because he and his team didn't make any mistakes, both in the pits and out on track. The Ferrari looks much improved around the quick bends of Silverstone, and once Vettel's team dropped the ball during the pitstop, repeating the same trick on his teammate Webber as well, there was only going to be one winner.

The question being posed seems to be : how much did Ferrari benefit from the blown diffuser saga? I reckon quite a bit, as both their immediate rivals seems to have lost some pace, but at the same time, it does look like some of the new car parts did the trick too. One question that remains unanswered, how the Ferraris would have fared on the hard tyres? IIRC they didn't use them during the race, as the race has been declared wet (at the start anyway), and thus the two dry tyre rule did not apply.

The Red Bulls didn't have much going their way this weekend, both drivers being penalized by errors during the pitstops. Vettel was very quick early on, running on inters, but Red Bull seems to be slow in calling him to the pits, perhaps erring on the side of caution, and thus each time he came out of the pits, he lost quite a bit of the advantage he had earlier. After his final problematic stop, he got stuck behind a much slower Hamilton and despite having a much quicker, couldn't find a way past. That effectively lost him the race as by then Alonso has built up an insurmountable lead.

Mark Webber had an average race, but for some reason, probably tyres, Vettel started slowing down a lot in the final laps of the race, and Webber was catching him at a rate of knots. In the end, it was to no avail, as Aussie Grit was stymied by his team boss, who decided that team orders should only be applied when the driver behind is in a position to challenge his teammate ahead. All in all, a very unhappy Webber, who revealed that he ignored at least 5 orders to slow down, and thereby putting Christian Horner is a rather awkward position with the press pack. Of course, team orders are legal this year (after what Ferrari did last year at Hockenheim), but nevertheless, for a number of people, it left a bad taste.

McLaren for some reason seems to be the team hardest hit by the mid-season rule change. The team had an error strewn weekend, but even without the errors, they never had the pace to challenge for the lead. A poor qualifying session which saw them putting on new dry tyres just as the rain fell, putting on used tyres when the conditions were perfect and then being punished yet again by rain saw P5 and P10 starting positions for Button and Hamilton respectively. Hamilton had a great start, climbing from 10th to 5th in a matter of laps, and both cars looked really quick when they were on dry tyres driving on a damp track, but thereafter their pace relative to the opposition faltered, despite both drivers' best efforts. Hamilton ran as high as 2nd at one point, but halfway through the race, his race engineer informed him that he needs to slow down to save fuel. Due to that problem, he couldn't keep Mark Webber behind him and eventually finished 4th, but only after surviving a bruising encounter with Felipe Massa at Club corner on the final lap, with both drivers separated by just thousands of a second at the finish line. Meanwhile, Button literally saw the wheels come off his car, as a wheel nut was not secured by the pitcrew, the lollipop man releasing him too quickly. The team needs to cut out the errors, and improve the car dramatically if they ever intend to even finish on the podium.

Massa, like Vettel suffered some problems during his pitstop, but nevertheless, his pace wasn't comparable to his teammate, and finished 5th, even though he was absolutely eating up the gap between himself and Hamilton ahead due to Hamilton's above-mentioned fuel shortage problem.

Both Mercedes had not-so-great races. Schumacher was quick off the line again, and he was consistently quick throughout, but ruined it all by running into Kobayashi and incurring a relatively rare stop-go penalty, which he accepted as fair punishment. Dropping to 16th after his penalty, he managed to fight back up to 9th. Rosberg didn't have a great race, and seemed to have real problems holding off the Sauber of Perez in the late stages, and managing to hang on to 6th.

Algaeboy seems to have become an expert at qualifying badly but finishing in the points, once again managing to finish in the top10 for the STR team. Likewise Heidfeld, who I didn't realize was still racing until right at the end.

Both Force India had nightmare races, Paul di Resta failing to make his excellent starting position count, when he ran into pitstop problems and then a collision which earned him a penalty. Sutil just missed out on the points by finishing 11th.

Didn't see much of the others, so there's the end of the report. As usual, feel free to comment or correct any errors I might have made :)

Question of the day : Was the stop go penalty dished out harsh? Should a drive-through penalty be a fairer punishment, based on what has been going on this season?
Dev

Postby Lawrence on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:49 am

We should send Webber a jar of vasoline. He is going to need it.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby p1u1n1x1 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:18 am

The Webber deal is a non-issue, I can't even believe people are talking about it, red Bull made the only logical decision from their perspective. Great race, Love to see Alonso winning, but I would have liked even better to see what would have happened if Red Bull had a normal stop and he came out behind Vettel. I have to ask, am I the only one who found the camera work and directing in this GP far superior to anything else this year? I don't know if they use the same personnel form race to race, but in my opinion, the shots from this race were head and shoulders above anything else from this year so far.
If there's one thing I hate in this life, it's losing. If there's two things I hate, it's losing and getting cancer.
p1u1n1x1

Postby Mafia on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:21 am

True, Love the Camera work. Specially the moving Cam covering couple of corners at brooklands. Fantastic.

So now then, Normal services resume! Redbull's old nemesis (Alonso) is back, Ferrari desperatly need Hamilton, more then massa, to take out vettels points now!
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Dev on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:42 am

Mafia wrote:Specially the moving Cam covering couple of corners at brooklands. Fantastic.

Indeed. Quite spectacular.

I also love the sight of F1 cars going through the high speed bends of Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel. Awesome sight.
Dev

Postby Sinister on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:38 am

Lawrence wrote:We should send Webber a jar of vasoline. He is going to need it.

^o^ ^o^

He can borrow some of Hamilton's vasoline. Lewis has loads of it since he's always getting ***ked by race stewards. :hihi:

Sinister

Postby Sinister on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:38 am

Dev wrote:Thanks Sin. I do remember seeing that. Must be old age. :paul:

At least now I know I could rely on the ape here in the forum for help, :clap: unlike the wet dog. :loser:

Your welcome. :hihi:

Sinister

Postby Lyria on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:17 pm

Dev wrote:
Question of the day : Was the stop go penalty dished out harsh? Should a drive-through penalty be a fairer punishment, based on what has been going on this season?

They explained that they had to make it stop/go penalty rather than a drive through due to the length of the pit lane and how fast they could get through there even on the limiter, it wouldn't have been much of a penalty at all apparently if they hadn't taken that decision.
Lyria

Postby Lyria on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Sinister wrote:
Dev wrote:Thanks Sin. I do remember seeing that. Must be old age. :paul:

Your welcome. :hihi:

Wrong your, should have been you're as in you are welcome ;)
Lyria

Postby Sinister on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:53 pm

Indeed. Well spotted. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:shy: :hihi:

Sinister

PreviousNext

Return to The History Section