ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2011 British Grandprix Weekend

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2011 British Grandprix Weekend

Postby Mafia on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:37 pm

What a race, Cracking action all the way, I like it.. :sun:

Fantastic fernando, Drove very well and didnt made a mistake. Although one can say that he got lucky during pitstops but vettel's pace wasnt bristling either when he was second, in clean air. so i'll give a clean win to alonso.

Redbull looks to have suffered and thats what we all wanted. whats with team orders CH? :confused: I am sure someone will bring that into FIA's notice, someone should.

Unlucky mclaren boys. and stupid stewarts... gave penalty to schumacher and none to other did the same or even worse??? i mean.. WTF Nigel? :angryfire: Add that 30 seconds to Michaels finishing time he would've finished 6th ahead of brittney :roll:
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby DanyalDenyo on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 pm

flatin wrote:so much for RB never using team orders.
I clearly remember Christian saying last year that RB will never use Team orders like ferrari.

+1

I'm very disappointed with Red Bull. With the huge points and speed advantage I would at least expect them to let their drivers race. It wasn't even necessary, its not like Vettel is competing with anyone for the No.1 in WDC.

On the other hand, it was the team that screwed up Vettel's race during the pit stop. Webber could probably never come close to him if the team didn't make that mistake so they may have a tiny excuse for doing so. Though I don't think they would do the same thing for Webber.
DanyalDenyo

Postby DanyalDenyo on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:42 pm

Mafia wrote:Redbull looks to have suffered and thats what we all wanted. whats with team orders CH? :confused: I am sure someone will bring that into FIA's notice, someone should.

I believe team orders ban has been lifted
DanyalDenyo

Postby Lyria on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Great race as always at Silverstone, we so didn't need the rain. Some bad erors in pitstops there, Kobayashi's bad release, Sebs wheel nut which cost him the lead and as for Button, well I felt bad for him but mistakes happen I guess.

Good driving out there and plenty of action, good drive by Alonso I have to say but I still wanted Seb to win :hihi:

Christian Horner said that he had to tell Webber to hold station as he didn't want them to crash out at that stage of the race, that made real sense to me. As for Massa, he's showing some better performances lately, not good enough to win of course but he had a good go at passing Hamilton when he knew he had a chance.
Lyria

Postby Dev on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Dev wrote:Alonso looks good (and I mean it genuinely this time). I sense that wet and dry the Ferrari will be strong.

Ehem, hate to say I told you so. :clint: :clint:

Good race. After the yawnfest of Valencia, this was much welcome. Well done to Alonso for his superb consistency.

Man Of The Race was Hamilton. He drove that McLaren really well, even though it was all over the place. Still, wooden spoon to the Mclaren team, for all their goof ups this weekend, the wheels well and truly came off for them this weekend. :loser: :loser:

Team orders aren't illegal this year, but still, the ending could have been more dramatic (Hamilton vs Massa aside)....oh well. :yaynot:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Adam on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:50 pm

DanyalDenyo wrote:
flatin wrote:so much for RB never using team orders.
I clearly remember Christian saying last year that RB will never use Team orders like ferrari.

+1

I'm very disappointed with Red Bull. With the huge points and speed advantage I would at least expect them to let their drivers race. It wasn't even necessary, its not like Vettel is competing with anyone for the No.1 in WDC.

On the other hand, it was the team that screwed up Vettel's race during the pit stop. Webber could probably never come close to him if the team didn't make that mistake so they may have a tiny excuse for doing so. Though I don't think they would do the same thing for Webber.

+2. Since I am in a lazy mood and can't think of another way to put it, I shall lift a quote from Sue Moorcroft over at GirlRacer:

"I don’t take Christian Horner’s point that he wasn’t prepared to let his drivers race because ‘it would have ended in the wall’. Why would it? Other teams allow their drivers to race. They seem perfectly competent to do so. Christian said that ‘Mark was allowed to race up until that point’, which seems to me to mean: ie the point he was about to overtake Sebastian. Red Bull drivers need a little more race craft training, perhaps? Nah... Just tell Mark Webber to stay behind Sebastian Vettel. Much easier."

Huzzah to Mark for sticking two fingers up to team orders, and then talking openly and frankly about it afterwards. Horner was squirming like a cornered rat in the BBC post-race interview; he's gone down massively in my estimation.
"You can always count on Adam for being the smart-arse around here."
~Dev, 10th August 2010

"...officially the biggest geek on this forum. Congratulations. :clap: "
~snowman, 21st August 2011
Adam

Postby Sinister on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Cougar wrote:YES, YES, YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Nano - THE MATADOR - takes the chequered flag ... 8) ... flicks tail to the sounds of BTO's - 'You ain't seen nothing yet'

Congratulations to RB's 2nd & 3rd podium finishes.

Commiserations to McLaren - Hamilton drove a fantastic race for his well deserved 4th. Unlucky for Jenson for having a DNF through no fault of his own other than a misunderstanding by the 'lollypop man'.

Overall a great British GP ... :clap: :clap:

Congratulations to Cougar for finally getting his prediction correct. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby Sinister on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:01 pm

Sinister wrote:From 2003 we've had 8 different winners. Perhaps a 9th different winner this year? If so, who could/should it be? Ahh, I know who it's going to be. It will be Buttplug. Damn it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :angryfire: :yaynot:

My sincere apologies to Danny for jinxing Buttplug. :shy: ^o^ :clint:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby MikaPup on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Thumbs up for Alonso, Hamilton and Webber. Flawless drive from Alonso and an epic, gritty effort from Hamilton to push the Mac home. :thumbs:

Thumbs down for both Vettel and Massa for providing even more evidence that they can only shine when there's no one in front. Same for McLaren for destroying a decent effort from Button and for almost doing the same with Hammy. And again for Red Bull, of course, for whining like babies to get their exhaust back and for holding back Webber despite the fact that Vettel practically has the title already. :loser:

And a special mention for the Force India engineer who designed their indestructible airgun rig. :clap:
MikaPup

Postby Paolo 2 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:29 am

good race, I enjoed watching it (and I didn't fall asleep despite the fact that I had been hiking all morning... what keeps me awake on a baking hot sunday afternoon must be good)

anyway, here's my review

Alonso - he drove very well, didn't put a foot wrong and all that. If he becomes a bit more aggressive on track he'll grow ever further in my view

Vettel - it's easy to say that he can win only when he's in front and all that, but he didn't really have to fight very hard, he's got such a lead that he can take it easy. His performance is only hampered by the fact that at Red Bull they told Webber to hold position. I think that it was a very silly decision, from now on everyone will be convinced that Vettel will become WDC this season thanks to team orders

Webber - I'm not a great fan of Webber, I think that his race was ok, sort of "Webber style". What really impressed me was when he found himself on the throttle with half his car on wet grass on the straight coming under that bridge. That takes balls. That was something really impressive! _O_

Hamilton - I don't think that it was his best race but he deserves to be praised for never giving up. His move on Massa wasn't the cleanest but it paid dividends

Massa - a reasonably decent race from him, I feel for him a bit due to the fact that he lost 4th at the last corner due to the fact that Hamilton rammed into him, these things happen, what's important is that he tried

Rosberg - he's back in front of Schumacher, however... at turn 1, despite the fact that he was several places ahead on the grid he had already fallen behind him. If the stwards hadn't handed that silly stop and go penalty to Schumahcer he wouldn't have been able to touch him (once again). I think that Nico needs to seriously raise his game as yesterday he looked below par, barely managing to stay ahead of a Sauber with a broken rear wing and a rookie at the wheel isn't something to write home about

Perez - good effort by this kid who brought home a decent result despite having his rear wing damaged (by a silly mistake)

Haidefeld - maybe it's because his car is so dark and it doesn't shine as the others do but I really can't remember much of him... I'm glad that he managed to finish in the points, I really hadn't noticed him during the race

Schumahcer - during his early career they let him get away with unbelievable things, now they punish him for nothing... :roll: a great start (by 2011 standards) once again from him, proving that he's the only proper racer out there together with Hamilton, made a silly mistake when fiddling with his DRS and they punished him for being slightly late under braking in the wet... :roll: :roll: :roll: despite having to take an unbelievable 10 seconds stop and go penalty he made up some ground and finished a decent 9th. IMHO he didn't deserve the penalty and should have been 6th. As for Hamilton, I'm glad that there's still someone out there willing to try to make a move on track rather than during the pit stops

Algae - the guy triest very hard but I think that something is missing, he need to focus more

The Stewards - as soon as I turned on the TV and I some some wet patches of tarmac I started fearing another SC start... luckily enough we were spared that (only just I must assume). But the stewards weren't going to let the drivers race without their silly interventions... and in fact they gave Schumacher and unheard of penalty for a mistake (not even a racing incident). Then, to be consistent, they didn't take any action when Hamilton rammed into Massa's car and deprived him of 4th (I don't think that there was any reason to punish Hamilton, but what he did was certainly much worse than what Schumacher did). All in all the usual "FIA consistency" :roll: :roll: :hit: :hit: :puke: :puke:
Last edited by Paolo 2 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paolo 2

Postby Dev on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:49 am

MikaPup wrote:And a special mention for the Force India engineer who designed their indestructible airgun rig. :clap:

Did I miss something? :confused:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Grozza on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:37 am

Did anyone else notice Bernie handing Prince Harry a largish brown envelope which Harry smiled at and quickly tucked away behind his back when he noticed the cameras were on him? This was pre-race during the grid walk coverage, I think. Perhaps Bernie was simply coughing up on a GP2 race bet?
Grozza

Postby Mafia on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 am

Paolo 2 wrote:good race, I enjoed watching it (and I didn't fall asleep despite the fact that I had been hiking all morning... what keeps me awake on a baking hot sunday afternoon must be good)

anyway, here's my review

Alonso - he drove very well, didn't put a foot wrong and all that. If he becomes a bit more aggressive on track he'll grow ever further in my view

Vettel - it's easy to say that he can win only when he's in front and all that, but he didn't really have to fight very hard, he's got such a lead that he can take it easy. His performance is only hampered by the fact that at Red Bull they told Webber to hold position. I think that it was a very silly decision, from now on everyone will be convinced that Vettel will become WDC this season thanks to team orders

Webber - I'm not a great fan of Webber, I think that his race was ok, sort of "Webber style". What really impressed me was when he found himself on the throttle with half his car on wet grass on the straight coming under that bridge. That takes balls. That was something really impressive! _O_

Hamilton - I don't think that it was his best race but he deserves to be praised for never giving up. His move on Massa wasn't the cleanest but it paid dividends

Massa - a reasonably decent race from him, I feel for him a bit due to the fact that he lost 4th at the last corner due to the fact that Hamilton rammed into him, these things happen, what's important is that he tried

Rosberg - he's back in front of Schumacher, however... at turn 1, despite the fact that he was several places ahead on the grid he had already fallen behind him. If the stwards hadn't handed that silly stop and go penalty to Schumahcer he wouldn't have been able to touch him (once again). I think that Nico needs to seriously raise his game as yesterday he looked below par, barely managing to stay ahead of a Sauber with a broken rear wing and a rookie at the wheel isn't something to write home about

Perez - good effort by this kid who brought home a decent result despite having his rear wing damaged (by a silly mistake)

Haidefeld - maybe it's because his car is so dark and it doesn't shine as the others do but I really can't remember much of him... I'm glad that he managed to finish in the points, I really hadn't noticed him during the race

Schumahcer - during his early career they let him get away with unbelievable things, now they punish him for nothing... :roll: a great start (by 2011 standards) once again from him, proving that he's the only proper racer out there together with Hamilton, made a silly mistake when fiddling with his DRS and they punished him for being slightly late under braking in the wet... :roll: :roll: :roll: despite having to take an unbelievable 10 seconds stop and go penalty he made up some ground and finished a decent 9th. IMHO he didn't deserve the penalty and should have been 6th. As for Hamilton, I'm glad that there's still someone out there willing to try to make a move on track rather than during the pit stops

Algae - the guy triest very hard but I think that something is missing, he need to focus more

The Stewards - as soon as I turned on the TV and I some some wet patches of tarmac I started fearing another SC start... luckily enough we were spared that (only just I must assume). But the stewards weren't going to let the drivers race without their silly interventions... and in fact they gave Schumacher and unheard of penalty for a mistake (not even a racing incident). Then, to be consistent, they didn't take any action when Hamilton rammed into Massa's car and deprived him of 4th (I don't think that there was any reason to punish Hamilton, but what he did was certainly much worse than what Schumacher did). All in all the usual "FIA consistency" :roll: :roll: :hit: :hit: :puke: :puke:

More or less agree!
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Mafia on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am

By Christian Horner
"I can understand Mark's frustration in that, but had it been the other way around it would have been exactly the same.

Ohh For F*&$ sake Christian, No it wont be the same :noway: Webber had been in such situation last year (Turkey) , did you tell Vettel to back of?? :max:

More Crap..
"And, as we saw with (Felipe) Massa and (Lewis) Hamilton at the last corner, who very nearly made contact, it made no sense from a team point of view to allow them to continue to fight over those last couple of laps.

But no body told them Not to "Maintain the Gap" CH.. beside, thats a bogus example as both were driving for different teams, and the other thing, Despite of Lewis being Mad, He didnt took out Massa, Unlike your hero boy doing twice, or may be on more occasions last year... (Spa, Monza)

"I made it quite clear in the drivers' briefing this morning in front of the engineers, that the biggest thing today was about getting a team result in front of all of the staff who put in so much effort into both of those cars, for the Constructors' Championship and the Drivers' Championship.

:puke: :talkhand: :loser:
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Lyria on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Grozza wrote:Did anyone else notice Bernie handing Prince Harry a largish brown envelope which Harry smiled at and quickly tucked away behind his back when he noticed the cameras were on him? This was pre-race during the grid walk coverage, I think. Perhaps Bernie was simply coughing up on a GP2 race bet?

It was his grid pass apparently, well that's what I heard him say anyway, 'here's your grid pass', so how he managed to get on there without one is anyones guess ;)
Lyria

PreviousNext

Return to The History Section