ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2011 British Grandprix Weekend

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2011 British Grandprix Weekend

Postby tifosi77 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:17 pm

Mafia wrote:
By Christian Horner
"I can understand Mark's frustration in that, but had it been the other way around it would have been exactly the same.

Ohh For F*&$ sake Christian, No it wont be the same :noway: Webber had been in such situation last year (Turkey) , did you tell Vettel to back of?? :max:

I'm cool with the whole team orders thing, but to be fair last year's race in Turkey was different because the Bulls were in P1 and P2. Horner said he'd never use team orders to keep drivers from fighting for race wins.

To me, team orders for a win or team orders for P10 is just semantics.

p1u1n1x1 wrote:I have to ask, am I the only one who found the camera work and directing in this GP far superior to anything else this year? I don't know if they use the same personnel form race to race, but in my opinion, the shots from this race were head and shoulders above anything else from this year so far.

Not sure if it's still the same, but I know a few years ago there were a few races that would use an FOM crew, but more often each host country provides the camera crew that generates the world feed. That's one reason, imo, why F1 coverage lags so far behind almost every other form of motorsport, that lack of consistent production. Regardless, the British crew almost always do the best job.
"S**t, p**s, f**k, c**t", c**ksucker, motherf**ker and t*ts" -- George Carlin
tifosi77

Postby Dev on Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:08 am

Sinister wrote:Indeed. Well spotted. :clap: :clap: :clap:

:shy: :hihi:

Careful when the English Teacher is around, Sin :p

Lyria wrote:They explained that they had to make it stop/go penalty rather than a drive through due to the length of the pit lane and how fast they could get through there even on the limiter, it wouldn't have been much of a penalty at all apparently if they hadn't taken that decision.

Thanks. That makes sense actually. :thumbs:

Sinister wrote:He can borrow some of Hamilton's vasoline. Lewis has loads of it since he's always getting ***ked by race stewards. :hihi:

You forget, Lewis has a platinum card for that :hihi:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Mafia on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:01 am

tifosi77 wrote:
Mafia wrote:
By Christian Horner
"I can understand Mark's frustration in that, but had it been the other way around it would have been exactly the same.

Ohh For F*&$ sake Christian, No it wont be the same :noway: Webber had been in such situation last year (Turkey) , did you tell Vettel to back of?? :max:

I'm cool with the whole team orders thing, but to be fair last year's race in Turkey was different because the Bulls were in P1 and P2. Horner said he'd never use team orders to keep drivers from fighting for race wins.

To me, team orders for a win or team orders for P10 is just semantics.

Tif, it doest matter what position you are running, beside all that, Webber said, and its very logical, that who knows if fernando retire in last lap, then he would've been fighting for win....

More over, Mark also said...

Mark Webber has again spoken of his decision to attack Sebastian Vettel in the closing stages of the British Grand Prix, electing to ignore team orders from Christian Horner. After starting from pole position, the Australian eventually finished third and less than half a second behind his championship-leading team-mate.

“You get what you deserve in motor racing and Fernando Alonso was the deserved winner of Sunday's British Grand Prix,” Webber wrote in a column for Australia’s Herald Sun. “My start from pole position was okay, but the right side of the grid had more grip and Seb got the jump into Turn 1.

“Seb and I had a good battle late on. The team put in a few calls asking me to maintain the gap, but I kept pushing because you can never give up in F1. If Fernando had retired on the last lap, we would have been fighting for the lead. Obviously the team wanted the points for the world championship – and they got them – but so did I.

Following the infamous Red Bull collision of last year’s Turkish Grand Prix, Webber insists that he and Vettel are able to race without making contact.

“The team was worried about Seb and me crashing into each other and we proved that we can race without doing that,” he continued. “I don't want to crash into anyone, be it my team-mate or my compatriot Daniel Ricciardo who, incidentally, finished his first Grand Prix in the Hispania, which is great for him.”
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:43 pm

Mafia wrote:More over, Mark also said...

He may yet work himself out of a job.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Mafia on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:42 am

Lawrence wrote:

Well, Its his 5th season with the team, i guess he has earned the right to become next rubens barrichello.
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Dev on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:40 am

Lawrence wrote:

If Helmut Marko had his way, Webber would have been out by now, I'm sure.
Dev

Postby Lyria on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Lawrence wrote:

Well I read today that they are having positive talks on Mark staying for 2012 so we'll see on that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 140537.stm
Lyria

Postby sinsi on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:10 am

http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/formula-one/red-bull-team-owner-dieter-mateschitz-says-mark-webber-will-re-sign-with-the-team-for-2012/story-e6frf3zl-1226094283138
The Red Bull boss also admitted he was fine with Webber having tried to overtake Vettel despite the order given to him.

"This is no problem for us," Mateschitz said. "Sebastian realised that Fernando Alonso was gone and could not be caught anymore, so he backed down. This let Mark close in. He would be a very bad racer had he not tried to attack and gain a position."

The chameleon has spoken.
sinsi

Postby MikaPup on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:55 pm

The only things that bothered me about the call were that a) Seb is so far ahead in the championship that it seems like they'd let Webber have a chance, and b) they did the exact opposite last year at Turkey, so it makes it seem more like a driver preference than the team just being cautious.

Apart from that, I've got no problem with team orders to hold position late in the race. McLaren have done that numerous times and I'm certain other teams have done the same - and even when team orders were illegal, the hold position call was always given a pass by the FIA. Although Max did do one of his "investigations" of McLaren after they told Hamilton to hold position behind Alonso in Monaco '07.
MikaPup

Postby tifosi77 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Ferrari used to have a rule that if the team ever ended up in P1 and P2, that's the order they would maintain to the flag. No racing each other. (This is the rule Gilles V was operating under at Imola in '82...) This wasn't a driver preference thing, but rather a nod to the reliability of F1 cars back then. The drivers would back off a few tenths and preserve their machines and the finishing order. Reliability isn't so much of a concern in 2011.
"S**t, p**s, f**k, c**t", c**ksucker, motherf**ker and t*ts" -- George Carlin
tifosi77

Postby Dev on Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:11 am

I believe some teams (probably McLaren) have a rule where teammates stop racing each other after the final stop.

That would be harsh on Webber since he only ever caught Vettel in the last half a dozen laps.
Dev

Previous

Return to The History Section