ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Silly Season 2012

Talk about the glorious history of F1 and other motorsports

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Silly Season 2012

Postby Mafia on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:25 am

No more trulli train :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Can not tell you how happy i am :yay: :yay: :yay: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Funkmother on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:16 am

Yes I don't think Jarno has contributed much to the show for some time. Still, I hope Caterham aren't counting on the cheque arriving too soon from Russia.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Ciro Pabón on Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:21 am

What can be said of Trulli? He didn't start with glory, after becoming (a high mark in any book) World Karting Champion.

He, of course, after landing in the then mediocre Renault team, outperformed Button (actually, destroyed in qualies) and was next year destroyed by Alonso (at least, he was a good measuring instrument).

In 2004 something VERY weird (for me) happened. During the first semester he outperformed Alonso, he went to his one and only victory in Monaco and then, during the last semester he became the worst racer in the world.

We saw him in the last race of 2004 losing a podium in the last corner to (now sport "deceased") Barrichello. All went downhill from there, and that has never been explained. Was it some kind of funny maneuver by Briatore? Probably we'll never know.

In Toyota he (of course) outperformed Schumacher the Lesser (our "forum beloved" Ralph).

He got Toyota's first podium. Man, he could be quick, that happened at Indy (remember Indy?).

From then on, he went up as many times as he went down. He played a role with Glock in Hamilton's partially undeserved championship (darn!) and became famous by his frequent slow races, where he became the "engineer" of his train.

As Toyota went down in due time, so Jarno went.

His final stints in Lotus (what a lousy car!) and Caterham were some kind of "hey, I still have it". He haven't.

So, the summary for me is: he was better than Button and Ralph (who isn't?) and worst than Alonso (again, who isn't?). He choose a string of regular teams and so he raced.

Bye, Jarno, thanks anyway, you got one good year and many bad ones.

Did Petrov actually pay for his seat? I can believe that but I don't think he needs to. Petrov is a very good racer, much better than Jarno. Even if Petrov have no money I would have chosen him over Trulli. Wouldn't you, people?
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby Dev on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:37 am

I would have preferred Sutil, but Petrov is still a step up from Trulli.
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Silver Fox on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:28 pm

To me Trulli has always been (like many others on the grid) a journeyman F1 driver who was never good enough for the top but was always just about quick enough to deserve his place compared to the others. The pity for me in all of this is that Caterham have simply replaced one journeyman driver for another, albeit that the new guy (unlike Trulli) has brought with him a bag full of Russian cash.

For all of Ruben's recent comments on twitter (on hearing about Trulli's demise) money has always talked in F1 with the best guys getting paid for their services and the journeymen having to bring money along to bag a ride. Sometimes (very rarely..) one of these pay drivers turns out to be the real deal and then goes on to bag a ride with a top team on the basis of his talents alone. Such drivers are however very few and far between.

FWIW F1 isn't the only motorsport where money talks. It's the same thoughout the lower formulae and even in the 'states (such as CART & NASCAR). For all we know the best driver in the world may be the cabbie who brought you home tonight. The trouble is that - without a huge bag full of cash to spare - he'll never get the chance to prove it at the top level on a circuit... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Proud sponsor of 'The Team with No Name...'
Silver Fox

Postby Funkmother on Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:45 pm

You've got a good point. The best driver in the world may not even be interested in motorsport. I've been in the passenger seat with a good one and I've wondered, "Wow, how can he have such good car control?" but he's never been in motorsport and in fact, prefers dirt bikes.

Also true is the bit about pay drivers being common in all forms of motorsport. Rubens apparently impressed in his Indycar test but has said that he hopes he and the team can find the money so he can race. Somebody said its a bit sad when a driver of his reputation has to go and find money to race in a major series like that.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Mafia on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 am

ummm, well! I believe this "Pay to drive" non-sense has been there for a long time now, for about good 25 years (before that i wasnt following the sport so... oh well)

So, at the moment, how many pay drivers are on the grid? any idea?
Tough Luck!
Mafia

Postby Dev on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:58 am

Even Schumi was a pay driver once, IIRC...
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Silver Fox on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Dev wrote:Even Schumi was a pay driver once, IIRC...

Nope: your wrong. In agreeing with you that Schuey's first drive (for Jordan) was paid for by Merc (as a part of their young driver programme at that time) that's a world of difference away from situations like Petrov who simply wouldn't get a seat from anyone without bringing in bags of cash from outside the sport.

Schuey's talent meant that Benetton quickly snapped him up from under EJ's nose after only a few drives (the rest being history). In contrast I don't see lines of teams queuing up to get Petrov's signature (after 2 seasons in the sport) without him first showing them his bag of cash...
Proud sponsor of 'The Team with No Name...'
Silver Fox

Postby Ciro Pabón on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:58 pm

True. Isn't all capitalism like that? You have one guy (the 1% Bernard) that takes most of the money, then you have three teams (10%) that manage to live well from the sport and the rest (the 90%) that begs for a place under the sun.

With drivers it is the same thing. You have one, the WDC that lives as a king, five that are good enough and have a good enough team to live well, and the rest are expendable and beg for the seat. Actually, it doesn't matter much how good you are, either you bring sponsors or you have no seat: there are like 50 guys out there that can fill any position in a matter of weeks, starting with the ex-10%s.

It happens in all sports, not only motorsports. After all, one of the characteristics of the system is that media is everything. It happened first in motor, because cars have been expensive for a long time, but nowadays even bowling teams need more money than the one produced by a small nation.
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Previous

Return to The History Section