ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Formula E Raicng september 2014

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Formula E Raicng september 2014

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:31 pm

I remember the name (great name!), but don't remember anything else about him. I guess he will have to make is mark in Formula E.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Vettel now slams Formula E. Anything lately that Vettel hasn't criticized?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 pm

They asked him his view, and for me he didn't slam it, he just said he has no interest in it and called it cheese. Now I admit I don't get the cheese bit, but he's entitled to his opinion. I think the headline saying he slammed it was misleading myself, or maybe he said more that I just haven't read.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:20 pm

Or......he could have said it was a wonderful opportunity for engineers to showcase new technology and left it at that. The food reference was not needed.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:39 am

China Racing have finally announced their drivers, Ho-Pin Tung and Nelson Piquet Jnr. So yeah, another former F1 driver, but I can't see his name without thinking of him being a cheat!!!

One seat left to fill and just over a month to the first race!!
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Well, it was only a matter of time before we saw young Nelson back. After all, the rest of the people involved are still in F1, Pat Symonds is Chief Technical Officer of Williams, Flavio Briatore is supposed to save F1, and Piquet's teammate and prime beneficiary is negotiating a 9 digit contract with Ferrari.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:26 pm

The first race is this Saturday (13th). Mind you there is still one team who hasn't announced one of their two drivers as yet which strikes me as odd.

I will watch the first race and see how it goes before I decide if I want to keep watching this series.
Lyria

Postby Lyria on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:20 pm

Another former F1 driver joins the grid. Seems Amlin Aguri's driver Da Costa can't do the first race this weekend due to DTM commitments, so they've drafted in Takuma Sato to race for them. He's already tested th car so he should be okay.

Out of the 19 drivers currently listed, I make that 12 who have driven in F1 so far.
Lyria

Postby Lyria on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:09 pm

The final driver has been named at last. Good job given the first race is tomorrow morning!!

Oh yes, it's another former F1 driver, it's Charles Pic.

That's 13 former F1 drivers out of 20 and 2 women on the grid as well. Definitely worth a watch in my opinion. :thumbs:
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Well, the teams and drivers are listed in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_Formula_E_season

Only about three drivers I am not familiar with. A few big names: Trulli, Heidfeld, and of course, a Senna, Prost and Piquet. Oriol Servia used to race under the Catalonian flag in the U.S. Here he is racing under the Spanish flag.
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:55 pm

Well, watched the first Formula E race almost to the end. The TV coverage was very poor. Ambient noise was almost as loud as the commentators and the whole thing had a very amateurish feel about it. As I recorded it...apparently the show ended one lap from the end of race....so missed the crash at the end (Heidfeld and Prost...with Heidfeld flipping).

Anyhow, this is a junior spec series using 200 HP cars. Fastest speed I saw was 170 kph. It has a way to go before it replaces F1. To start with the races are only 25 laps and the cars can only make half that distance. So they change cars in the middle of the race. Sound was as expected...no roaring V-8s here...more like the sound of 20 people running their fingers across a blackboard. The course was the least interesting course I had seen in a very long while. Makes Tilke look good.

But...it was racing, real racing, so wasn't bad. Lots of old freinds and faces there. Outstanding drives of the race were by Heidfeld who crashed trying to get first and Montagny, who ended up in second. Good drive by Prost Junior (who led all the but the last lap) and Di Grassi (who won). Particularly poor drives by Chandhok, Senna, Piquet, Tung and Buemi. The two female drivers were invisible. Trulli was out on the first lap. Sato set fastest lap but was otherwise invisible. Alguersuari showed some life early in the race and then disappeared. Oriol Servia looked good (as he often does) as did D'Ambrosio (coolest name in the field). Clearly inferior than their teammate was Abt (vs Di Grassi) and Pic (vs Montagny). Bird got 3rd but otherwise didn't make much of an impression and Sarrazin was invisible. 20 drivers, 10 teams.

The two and a half American teams, Andretti, Dragon (Penske) and Venturi (1/2 owned by Leonardo DiCaprio). Andretti and Dragon are now 1st and 4th in the standings. There are no American drivers in the series. Dams, Audi ABT and Virgin also looked good. Next race is in two months.

I think there is potential here, but this series is a very controlled spec series. If they loosen up the tech and allow teams to develop their own cars, it could get interesting. They also need more power. We shall see what they do next season.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Have to say I watched the race but it's not for me. Apart from the fact they were trying to make it feel like F1 and it really didn't, the noise of the cars (what little there was) is at a pitch which really affects me. Some noises just get to me and that was one of them, they make me feel physically ill and apparently that noise is just at the level which made me want to run away from it, or be ill. So yeah, I had the race recorded and had to watch it on one click of fast forward to avoid the noise.

I did see the Heidfeld accident, that was impressive and I was glad he was okay. The changing cars was just ridiculous and I find I just don't care enough to want to watch it again and apparently I can't even if I wanted to.

I'm glad I gave it a go just to see how good it was, but I won't be watching the next race in November.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:59 pm

Well, sorry the sound bothered you. it wasn't one of those sounds that gets your heart thumping. Maybe next time you can mute it ;)

Anyhow, it was nice to see those drivers (mostly F1 refugees) in equal cars.

I gather the car change was a necessary evil, otherwise the race would have lasted only 12 laps.

So, is this the future of F1....say in 20 years?
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:01 pm

I doubt I will watch another, I can't enjoy a race I can't listen to at all, I wouldn't be able to follow what was going on properly and I'd hate it.

Besides, it didn't thrill me. That parade lap, I could have walked it faster than they drove it!!

As for the car change, my argument would be, why try to hold a race that the technology clearly isn't ready for? I mean having to change cars like that looked ridiculous. I don't know what I expected, but not that somehow.

I gave it a go but it's not for me for several reasons. I hope F1 doesn't end up like that, though I guess it could one day but only when the technology has moved a long way on.
Lyria

Postby Paolo 2 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:32 am

I didn't watch the race, I only managed to watch the highlights and the crash, my first impression is that the track was a joke, it gave a very unprofessional feeling to the whole thing. Some of the racing seemed ok. Re the crash, it was clearly Prost's fault but had the track been properly set up it would have been a minor minor thing, those sausage kerbs and the way the barriers had been placed turned a minor touch into a major accident. I think that sausage kerbs should be banned.

I guess that that crash gave quite a boost to Formula E, it was all over the news and many people who had never heard of Formula E now know that it exists and that it can be quite exciting (well, sort of...)
Paolo 2

PreviousNext

Return to Other Motorsports