ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Moto GP 2013

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Moto GP 2013

Postby Warweezil on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Typed out a huge post in the midst of several phone calls about dads health and a friend whose daughter is just home from a Jamaican prison (long story) only to find that the site had decided to log me out - and my post got dumped in the process. :eh:

oh well.

it kinda fits the way I feel about this place now. :(
Original Member no 137
The voices in my head may not be real..... but they have some damned good ideas
On Post.... Out there..... Up Close & Personal
Warweezil

Postby Lyria on Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:35 am

Warweezil wrote:Typed out a huge post in the midst of several phone calls about dads health and a friend whose daughter is just home from a Jamaican prison (long story) only to find that the site had decided to log me out - and my post got dumped in the process. :eh:

oh well.

Don't you just hate it when that happens? It happened to my daughter on another site the other day, she spent over 30 minutes typing in her post and the site went bits up and she lost it. Talk about :rant: :angryfire: :banghead: :argh: Never happens when you do a short post does it? Somehow it knows I reckon.

Hope things are all good with you now, life eh? It's never dull is it?
Lyria

Postby Lyria on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Most extraordinary motogp race I'ever seen.

The manadatory pit stop and bike swap due to the unsuitable tyres was bad enough, the Honda crew making a mistake so that the championship leader missed the pit stop window and got black flagged was just insane. They said it wasn't made clear to them, well sitting on my sofa in the UK the rule seemed clear enough to me, so much so that I actually said out loud he's broken the rules, they have to black flag him. Sure enough they did, Marquez and some others who missed the alloted stop were black flagged. Now if I knew that, why the hell didn't they?

Before the black flag though, as Marquez exited the pits he had a coming together with race leader Lorenzo, now to be fair to Marquez he did look behind him and saw nothing, as he looked ahead and pulled out Lorenzo and Pedrosa came screaming into view, their touch was almost inevitable, especially as Lorenzo said he made a mistake on his braking and went wide at that corner. I was glad they both carried on.

You have to wonder why Bridgestone couldn't show up with the right tyres for the track in the first place, then again I remember F1 in Indianapolis 2005 when Michelin turned up with bad tyres too and only the Bridgestone shod cars were able to race. So it's happened before, but it was still weird to watch.
Lyria

Postby Paul on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:20 pm

As the conmentator said.. The exit of the pits was designed so that they could get up to spead, but the powers that be ( see idiots) decided to speed limit it, hence the consequences we saw.
I still think black flagging is a bit of a heavy penalty for someone missing their pit window though. Since their tyres were shot to hell anyway - Better a drive through at most really.

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Paul on Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:23 pm

Warweezil wrote:Typed out a huge post in the midst of several phone calls about dads health and a friend whose daughter is just home from a Jamaican prison (long story) only to find that the site had decided to log me out - and my post got dumped in the process. :eh:

oh well.

---
Grief WW , on all counts, the dumped post being the least of you worries :banghead:
-
Hope all is well with ya Dad, and friend's daughter now :beer:

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Warweezil on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:05 pm

According to motogp.com, Honda were trying to "game" the rules by swapping Marquez "After 10 laps had been completed" - to put it in simple terms at "ten and threequarters laps", the tyre change rule was very clear.
(From the original announcement posted on Motgp.com)
2. Every rider will be required to enter the pits and change to his second machine with fresh tyres at least once during the race. In normal circumstances this means that the rider must change machine only at the end of Lap 9 or Lap 10.

Now once you cross the start/finish line at the end of lap10 -you begin lap 11 - so I cant see how Honda expected to pull that one off. the requirement was for a change at the completion of either the ninth or tenth lap - in simple terms that means that either on lap 9 or 10 the rider must take the start/finish point in the pit lane. :noway:

No Sympathy from me - The rule was clear but Honda apparently tried to push the envelope. :evil: That sort of stunt is as seedy as the similar one pulled by the German during his career. Win the thing on the track... that's where it counts, rule book shenanigans turn me off - one of the reasons that F1 is a largely unknown area for me now.

Right now I have that Rossi feeling - one of his oft uttered broken English phrases "I am very 'appy"
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Warweezil on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:10 pm

Paul wrote:Grief WW , on all counts, the dumped post being the least of you worries :banghead:
-Hope all is well with ya Dad, and friend's daughter now :beer:

Life goes on. I'm hoping to be back at my hobby next year. Kinda missed it. I gotta make the most of my local circuit while it lasts, I have a sinking feeling about waste of money they are building in the valleys - a circuit pretty inaccessible to most of Wales - but it will serve the "elite" (as they see themselves) in Cardiff, and clearly ego-stroking Cardiff is the single most important thing in Wales... :roll:
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Paul on Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:22 am

Grrrrrr Mate.. Whats the betting Bernie owns the land :roll:

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lyria on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Warweezil wrote:According to motogp.com, Honda were trying to "game" the rules by swapping Marquez "After 10 laps had been completed" - to put it in simple terms at "ten and threequarters laps", the tyre change rule was very clear.
(From the original announcement posted on Motgp.com)
2. Every rider will be required to enter the pits and change to his second machine with fresh tyres at least once during the race. In normal circumstances this means that the rider must change machine only at the end of Lap 9 or Lap 10.

Now once you cross the start/finish line at the end of lap10 -you begin lap 11 - so I cant see how Honda expected to pull that one off. the requirement was for a change at the completion of either the ninth or tenth lap - in simple terms that means that either on lap 9 or 10 the rider must take the start/finish point in the pit lane. :noway:

No Sympathy from me - The rule was clear but Honda apparently tried to push the envelope. :evil: That sort of stunt is as seedy as the similar one pulled by the German during his career. Win the thing on the track... that's where it counts, rule book shenanigans turn me off - one of the reasons that F1 is a largely unknown area for me now.

Right now I have that Rossi feeling - one of his oft uttered broken English phrases "I am very 'appy"

I quite agree WW, good to see you back by the way, I've missed our chats about motogp 8)

See Marquez was meant to follow Lorenzo into the pits, the fact he didn't is a worry. Now some people I know are saying that Marquez did have an eye injury a while back, he was getting double vision after a crash in 2011 in Sepang, maybe it could be as easy as he misread the pitboard, after all he's had a lot of near misses and crashes which also begs the question is he safe to ride? Maybe it was as simple as someone in his team can't count and made a mistake in the heat of the moment. I don't seriously think Honda were trying to cheat, what would they gain? After all he's leading the championship with a huge margin, well, less so now. If they'd been behind and trying to gain an advantage I'd agree it was sinister, but I honestly think they just screwed up.

Ask Paul, he'll tell you I'm no fan of Marquez, so I'm not defending him for that reason. I'd honestly rather Lorenzo was champion again, so from that perspective I think Marquez getting banned was a good thing.

Oh and the writing on the bottom of the tv screen said 'no more than 10 laps can be completed before the bike change', the second Marquez crossed that start finish line he'd completed more than 10 laps and therefore had broken the rules. So he deserved everything he got ;)
Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:58 pm

The comments about the team were drawn from an item on the Motogp site, I guess the truth is that as ever - the politics of Motorsport series means we will never really be sure of the truth.

I'm not sure if his issue is vision or arrogance. You will recall that he "missed" a yellow flag and came close to hitting several Marshals and Cal Crutchlow. I see him as being uncontrolled and potentially dangerous. I work with riders of a lower skill set a couple of times a year - but I have more confidence going out to a faller with those guys than I would have if Marquez was around, simply because the club guys have the humility and good sense to know that the waved yellow is shown for a good reason and that ignoring it is BAD. I know that no matter how exposed I am while assisting a fallen rider/recovering a disabled machine I have confidence that the guys approaching WILL comply with the flags and "lift" to allow us to do our job in safety and confidence.

If vision is an issue he needs to be separated from competitive riding until such times as he has full visual faculty restored. Racing speeds kill, we were reminded of that only a couple of years ago when number 58 was retired...... whatever the issue with this guy is needs to be properly looked into. if he has vision issues then action is needed, if it is something else then it needs to be addressed, for the sake of the other competitors, Marshals and for the rider himself.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Paul on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:08 pm

[quote="Ask Paul, he'll tell you I'm no fan of Marquez, so I'm not defending him for that reason. [/quote]

:shy:

I watched Marc being a dick in Moto2, and thought Honda would put him straight when he went to the big bikes.
At first it seems they had, and he was being more careful, especially with his team mate, but it seems he is creeping back to his old ways.
That said he's done a Rossi on Rossi a time or two, which I think is fair play :hit:

---
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lyria on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:42 pm

Oh I am no fan of Marquez, some of the moves he makes are just plain dangerous, then again he's got that invincibility of youth about him still hasn't he? He'll learn, I just hope he doesn't cause anyone else to suffer whilst he does.

It's so wrong to put any other person on the track, be that other riders or marshals, at risk. I totally agree, his not slowing down for that yellow flag deserved a much greater penatly than he got for it. The marshals do a hell of a job and they should be given the upmost respect, putting them in danger is never an option and it annoys me when they are treated with such disregard.

Paul is right, early in the season I think Hond gave Marc a talking to, he was more careful in his passes and he was more respectful of his team mate, that has all gone now though, he's back to his brash ways. If he's going to be champion and be riding like that for several years to come I'm glad I won't be able to watch after the end of this season, he'd just seriously annoy me, as he's already doing.
Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:55 pm

It is a respect issue I guess, and Marquez seems to have none for anyone else.

I know being a Marshal has its hazards, vehicles moving at high speeds can become "uncontrolled" due to circumstances - such as spilled oil.. loose debris etc, and I accept that I need to keep an eye over my shoulder when trackside - although usually we are watched over by someone with a whistle, but what really isn't needed is people creating problems by arrogance in ignoring warning flags / approaching hazards/incidents at full race speed simply because they don't have the sense or respect for others to slow down when it is needed to ensure the safety of others.

My own feeling about Silverstone is that there should have been a huge penalty - including a race ban - to send a message right down through the circus that such behaviour isn't acceptable, clever or to be tolerated. He needed a lesson that would stay with him for along time - instead the slap on the wrist was quickly forgotten.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Lyria on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:28 pm

You're totally right Warweezil. It is all about respect, but it's also the fault of Dorna. They have penalties but they don't enforce them enough. I was actually pleased to see them black flag those who broke the pitstop rules, that was the right thing to do. The whole points system they have isn't working, a point here or there makes no differnce to anyone. If they break the rules give them a swift penalty that does work, like a grip penalty or being thrown out of a race. If you don't enforce the rules then no one will follow them, why would they?

F1 drivers are more likely to follow the rules simply because they know what will happen if they don't. Motogp needs to do the same thing to protect those on the track be they marshals or riders who have crashed. Or will it take a tragedy before they take any action? Sadly that is the most likely thing that will happen the way it's going.
Lyria

Postby Lyria on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:59 am

Last race of the season and in fact thanks to BT taking the coverage, the last motogp race I will get to see :yaynot:

Loranzo has to be champion, thing is for that to happen he has to win and Marquez has to be at least fourth. Based on the form it's not going to happen unless his bike breaks or he throws it up the track. I don't like wishing anyone would crash but I am tempted to make an exception for him ;) I won't though as it would be wrong, I will just hope he bikes gives up mid race or something.
Lyria

PreviousNext

Return to Other Motorsports