ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Moto GP 2013

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Moto GP 2013

Postby Lyria on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:28 pm

I will confess I sniggered when Marquez threw it all away after taking so much care to pass his team mate :reallyevil: The way he carried on you'd think someone caused him to come off, that was all his own doing, no one was near him at the time!

Poor Bradley, how they get back on those bikes with the injuries they pick up I have no clue, they're either really brave or stupid, maybe a mixture of both.

Another great podium for Cal, I just hope he still has the ride next year, if they take him off that bike and put Pol Espargaro on it instead they're idiots, unless of course Rossi is dropped for Cal, now that would be a good move. Oh and Scott Redding is a name to watch as well from motogp 2, I haven't watched it myself but he seems to be a star of the future perhaps.

With Rossi, I think it was a racing incident, the stewards looked at it and found no fault, though it was Italy, they were never going to blame Rosi were they? Saying that if I had to call it, I'd say it more Bautista's fault if I'm honest. Either way they both went out very early in the race. Good ride by Dovizioso again and yes, Bradl did well too, he had a shocking start to the season but is getting there again now it seems.

I will watch this season of motogp but then I'm done, I am watching F1 again, forgive me Warweezil, I am weak and I missed it!!!

My cousin is racing with the Historic racing Drivers Club, he has a car he's spent a lot of time working on and is having a fantastic time. He did well at Oulten Park a few weeks back until he made a rash overtake and ended up in the gravel. I am proud of what he's doing and what he's achieved too.

Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:38 pm

Indeed how they get back on those bikes... shows up the F1 crowd somewhat. The issue surrounding Cal seems to be political - another sport that is slowly getting ruined by the machinations of talentless drones behind the scenes.

Going back to be a circus follower huh? lol thats ok I'm used to being isolated now, but getting back in touch with the roots of motorsport is something I don't regret, anyone can spectate, to get involved... takes a commitment that many don't have, The number of friends I have challenged to spend a weekend with me... and get up real close to things... the few that have really enjoyed themselves. The more I hear about what used to be the pinnacle of motorsport the less I miss it.

I have stayed here because ... well its been a long time... but many of the "old names" are no longer around... Alias was the first to disappear (and most puzzling)... the other "rejects" seem to have drifted away almost totally, and even the names that came to be familiar during my time here have disappeared. I lurk more than I post... but I'm lurking less these days... I guess we all change.... and my weekends are a lot fuller now than they were back then, The smell of hot oil and burning rubber - nothing tops that.

The HRDC guys dont visit Pembrey, so I wont have the opportunity to experience that - sadly - those are my sort of cars - I cut my teeth on those... both mechanically and driving.... I do have the Vintage Sports Car Club to look forward to along with the Classic Sports Car Club, that and Rallycross and even a weekend with the North Gloucester Bikes I have some good weekends ahead of me - even if the Pembrey weather does its worst - as it does so often on race weekend Im soaked but happy a lot of the time it seems

So I guess after this I will be posting here even less... its been fun guys... but seriously.. there isn't much that I can contribute to the community now, My disillusionment with F1 turned into disinterest... well done FIA et al... you took a fan of over 40 years and turned him against you. When a sport is talking about artificially enhancing the noise of the shrinking engines... you know it has lost its way... and lost touch with many of the fans that were into the sport when it was all about going fast.... not pitstops and politics.
Original Member no 137
The voices in my head may not be real..... but they have some damned good ideas
On Post.... Out there..... Up Close & Personal
Warweezil

Postby Lyria on Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:44 pm

It's true, takes a certain kind of mindset to be thrown about like a ragdoll and potentially seriously injured, then get up, brush yourself down and get back on one of those bikes.

To be honest I'd love nothing more than to attend races, I could easily go with my cousin and enjoy time with them, but my health doesn't allow it. Last race they forgot the pitboard and his daugther in law knocked one up from an old tea tray apparently. Now that's what it's all about 8) So it's either watching racing on tv or not seeing it at all, I have to be content with that. I did come to miss F1, plus I missed being able to discuss something I know plenty about, I like the bikes, I am still watching whilst I can, but my knowledge of them is still very limited sadly. I'll mail you a picture of my cousins car, he's spent so long building it up and lovingly getting it ready to race, his wife will attest to his dedication in that regard ;)

At least stay and discuss the rest of this season of the bikes with me, I'd miss you if you didn't. We still have some good races to enjoy hopefully. I know what you mean about all the people who used to be here but who have disappeared, I could name a load of them that I miss horribly, but like you say, we all move on don't we? Life never stays the same and how boring would it be if it did?

Lyria

Re: Moto GP 2013 (Slightly o/t)

Postby Warweezil on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:08 am

Talking of sheer "nads THIS ITEM came to my attention this week. Now we already have one guy that races Classic Fords that we get briefed about especially when he appears on the grid sheets simply because going to a car that had gone nose first into a wall and finding a guys hand still on the steering wheel while he is sat on the wall in front of the car can throw some Marshals :confused: :eek: :rotflmao:

This guys takes it to a whole new level.. and the more I see of guys like this and the race2recovery guys, the more I realize what a bunch of spoiled whining pussies inhabit F1. A lot is said about the "aliens" in Moto GP... Id say this guy is in an alien class all of his own, and I wish him every success. :thumbs:

These are the real stars, the men worth of admiration - and a better role model than many of those that make up the top flight grids
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Lyria on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:43 am

Wow, that guy is just amazing isn't he? Makes you realise just how strong the human spirit can be and what we can overcome. Thanks for sharing that :thumbs: :clap:

As for the guy in the car who leaves a hand behind, I think my first reaction was eeewwwwwwwww :hihi:

Good luck to anyone who can do something like that, they are remarkable aren't they?
Lyria

Postby Lyria on Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:50 pm

What is it with Bautista? That's two races in a row, at least he avoided Rossi this time, but only just.

One third of the field didn't finish the race, that's madness! Was sorry to see Cal slide off and Nicky too.

So enjoyed watching Marquez tip toe around behind Pedrosa, anyone else and he'd have gone for it, someone has seriously had words with him and impressed on him not to do that to his own team mate haven't they?

Well done to Bradley Smith for getting a good result and for passing Dovizioso, shame we never got to see the move of course, they were too busy watching the Honda boys vying for second.

Good win by Lorenzo, he made a great start and controlled the race from the front, I thought Pedrosa might pass him but it wasn't to be again.
Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:52 pm

So what was the issue with left hand corners? I saw footage of Cal de-briefing in his pit afterwards and you could see the confusion on his face, for so many to go down all on left handers, including one corner where "no one ever falls" there had to be a tyre issue, bearing in mid that the tyres are not symmetrical, did they get the left side wrong?

Yay Bradley! a solid ride, good to see, I'm wondering if Marc had some of the vinegar knocked out of him last time out, The problem today for Dani was that once Lorenzo had clear track ahead of him there was no Honda to slow him through the corners, Looking at the way Lorenzos longer chassis performs maybe it is time Rossi looked at moving away from the shorter chassis that he normally prefers, given that the old short configuration worked well with the old tyres but doesn't play nice with the newer tyres. they say the longer trailing arms help stop the bike from lifting its front wheel under power, and using the energy to propel the machine forward rather than pulling wheelies has to be better.

No return for Spies for a while? Im starting to wonder if his days in Moto GP are numbered - he certainly seems to have a lot of issues around injuries and the body can only take so much
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Lyria on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Oh I wish I understood enough of what happens with the tyres and so on in motogp to be able to explain things to you about the race. All I know is, the track was slippy and a lot of riders came off. :shy: I didn't hear any mention of tyre issues, all I heard them say was that the track was slippery and they might have said greasy at one point too.

Bradley had a good race, just a shame we didn't see more of him really but there you go. The points are in the bag and that's what counts.

Yes Lorenzo had won that race from the first corner according to a friend of mine who knows way more about this than I do. Saying that, I think if Marquez had been able to clear Pedrosa earlier in the race he might have had a chance of passing, let's face it he's not exactly known for sitting back and waiting for a chance is he? He's the kind to make a space where none existed before. Saying that I think the team have had serious words with him about taking out his own team mate, that could expain why he was so hesitant behind Dani. I'm surprised he listened given his reputation but he does seem to have, for now at least, how long that will last, who knows?

Yes, no Spies again, I too am wondering if he's going to be back. Pirro is doing a fair job on his bike in his place as well so maybe the team arne't that bothered.

Lyria

Postby Lyria on Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:55 pm

What a ride from Rossi, they said he'd been off somewhere and found a good set up that he was happy with on the bike and they weren't kidding were they? What a ride by him.

Was disappointed to see Cal swamped at the start but he did well to get back to where he finished, could have even got second if not for that last lap thing where Marquez put him wide. Another good ride by Bradley as well, he did well to fight back to 9th in the end as well.

Lorenzo, was he right to ride? I don't think so, sure he scored some points which might be vital at the end of the season but at the end of the race he looked a real mess. It can't have done him any good to put himself through that, it just can't!

Great start by Pedrosa but faded through the race yet again, he had a chance to make the most of Lorenzo's injury and he blew it in many ways sadly. He could regret that later on.
Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:07 pm

What a weekend! even qually was all over the place :propeller:

Valentino.. what can I say? :yay: That was a ride more worthy of him, _O_ I'm hoping that it is the start of the revival, My understanding of the situation with him is that he prefers a short chassis/swinging arm set up, but the current tyres don't work well for his style of riding in that configuration. I read that he has adopted the longer arm that Lorenzo favours along with some tweaks to the front end and has found that with the right set up he can brake late and chuck it into the corners without the tyre carcass deforming badly and losing grip.

Whatever has happened I'm hoping that the coming weeks will show that he still has it. Its strange a lot of people are dismissive of Rossi after the foray into Ducati, but that bike had well known handling issues before he went there, and let me see... where did Ducati finish today? Oh Yes - 10th, so Id say that wherever Rossi had the Ducati in his time there was just about where it should have been - a disappointment for me as I experienced a Duke back in my teens. I will happily admit to wondering if he had "lost it" after his leg injury a couple of years ago. I'm hoping that we are seeing a revival, I've missed The Doctor.... and watching "the Donkey" has been extremely painful

As for Cal, I think he hates a "loaded" bike, he gets faster as the fuel tank empties, I was disappointed to see him being swamped at the start, Maybe if he had managed to get up behind Marquez a few laps sooner we might have seen a real fight. At one stage - a couple of laps from the end I was sure they would both end up in the gravel. Cal on the podium is now commonplace - so I am sure it cant be long till his first win. Im with the guys from Eurosport that said that one of the things he had to consider was how Yamaha would react if he affected Lorenzo badly by passing him - If he displaced Lorenzo they said he had to be sure he could also pass Pedrosa and reduce the points take for both Dani and the Honda team - passing the factory bike of Lorenzo alone would not be good, passing Dani as well made it "ok" in terms of the overall points calculations, and I'm sure he spent a couple of laps weighing up his options.

Following on from the conversation of a couple of weeks back - how about Lorenzo? once again its clear to see that the real men are in Moto GP. Happy to see that there were no nasty problems today - I guess all of those were out of the way yesterday.

Coming next... back to back weekends :)

Rossi today helped Lorenzo hold onto a decent fighting position in the championship, Cal helped too, the points denied to Honda riders by the Yamaha guys could be real deciders later on.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

strange stats.

Postby Warweezil on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Came across a few strange stats for Rossi today - the number 46 seems to loom large in his life...

To date he has earned a total of 4646 points across all GP classes, Last weekends win was 46 races since his last win.

Stats from Martin Raines - Compiler of official Moto GP stats.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Re: strange stats.

Postby Lyria on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:43 pm

Warweezil wrote:Came across a few strange stats for Rossi today - the number 46 seems to loom large in his life...

To date he has earned a total of 4646 points across all GP classes, Last weekends win was 46 races since his last win.

Stats from Martin Raines - Compiler of official Moto GP stats.

Great stats, thanks for sharing those :thumbs:

You're right, Cal doesn't like a fuel filled bike, he always does much better once some has burned off. Hopefully he can find a way of getting used to it though as if he keeps on dropping back like that at the start he'll never win a race. Nice to see him pass Lorenzo and Pedrosa though, shame Lorenzo had to be injured for that to happen of course.

Should be an interesting couple of races and apparently Spies could be coming back at Laguna or Indianapolis, let's hope his injury is all cleared up now.
Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:57 pm

I liked what Cal said at the weekend.... "its not a proper pole", guess he wanted to beat the whole grid... including Lorenzo.

He has the makings of a great role model for younger riders, which can only be a good thing.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Lyria on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:23 am

Warweezil wrote:I liked what Cal said at the weekend.... "its not a proper pole", guess he wanted to beat the whole grid... including Lorenzo.

He has the makings of a great role model for younger riders, which can only be a good thing.

Yes it can't be a proper pole when the world champion isn't on the grid I suppose.Cal is a good boy, that's why I support him ;)

Now all he has to do is sort out his starts and he might just get the win we all want to see him get and think he deserves given how well he's riding right now on a non factory bike!
Lyria

Postby Lyria on Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Laguna was a prett good race. Marquez was being denied by no one it seemed, the move he pulled on Rossi was awesome. He made a good move on Bradl who in all reality probably deserved to have won but had to settle for second. He rode really well. Oh and I loved that corkscrew in the track, very nice, never seen anything quite like that before.

A bad race for Cal, not sure why it should be but there you go, that's motorsport isn't it?

Pedrosa managed to get by Lorenzo on the track, that must have pleased him I suppose. Did you see the two of them afterwards though? Talk about in pain, makes you wonder if what they do to their bodies is really worth it doesn't it? They have three full weekends off now to recover, I reckon they're going to need them too.

Felt bad for Bradley Smith, wasn't his fault from what I could tell. Just one of those things again I guess.
Lyria

PreviousNext

Return to Other Motorsports