ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Moto GP 2013

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Moto GP 2013

Postby Warweezil on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:45 am

Well.... wasn't it good to see Rossi Back on a competitive bike? :yay: Marquez seems to be the new big talent, the future looks good with Crutchlow Bradl and now Marquez on the grid. I have to say Rossi let things slip early on but what a recovery ride, More like the Vale of old, and the fact that Ducati are still finishing around 6/7th shows that the pace he was getting out of them was an honest assessment of their capability. Some may point to Lorenzo being away at the front, but that is where the Yamaha works well, with an open track ahead of it, dragging the machine through the pack takes a little extra something, and it was good to see the old Rossi back in business. Ok he dropped a few places because of a mistake - Im guessing the anxiety to prove that he hasnt lost the edge after 2 years with a bike that was seriously under-performing, and for a while I wondered if he would get the donkey Crash helmet out of retirement, you may recall that after a fall during the Indianapolis MotoGP in 09, he turned up at the next race (Misano) sprting a new helmet design that he said he would wear until he lived down the mistake by winning again.... which he did at that race. (Pics HERE. That is one of the things that makes him a great ambassador for the sport, that rather twisted sense of humour.

Pedrosa seemed to lose the ability to fight in the latter stages - I'm guessing his tyres were feeling a little thin by then. I'm starting to think that Dani's day will never come, which is a shame as he has really deserved better luck than he has had. The only thing that spoiled it a little for me was Lorenzo leading from pole to the flag, I'm not expecting too much from Cal this year - the factory support for the Tech 3 Team has been reduced, so chances are the bike will lack the edge to take the fight to the factory Yamaha, and as long as there is a reasonable straight, the Honda will always be really strong having the extra torque to pull away quickly - Cal was often a couple of clicks faster on the straight than the 2nd & 3rd placed Hondas but was losing out because the Yamaha doesn't get up to speed as quick as the Honda, and once Rossi caught up with the fight it was never going to end well for Cal.

I'm looking forward to this season a lot now, For me, the race yesterday was entertaining and exciting in places, where Rossi took 2nd from Marquez, then lost it back, so re-took it again all in the space of a lap, that is the sort of action I want to see... on track fighting not pit stop passing, racing belongs on the tarmac, wheel to wheel.

2013 has the makings of a great Moto GP season! :thumbs:

Just My Opinion.... YMMV
Original Member no 137
The voices in my head may not be real..... but they have some damned good ideas
On Post.... Out there..... Up Close & Personal
Warweezil

Re: Moto GP 2013

Postby Lyria on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:28 pm

Only just saw this thread :shy: Hey Warweezil :yay: Hope all is good with you :sun: 8)

You're right it is good to see Rossi back on a competitve bike, that first race of the season (if you ignore Lornezo rushing off into the distance and staying there) was a really good and well fought race. I was sad to see Cal make another pretty much unforced mistake, he does seem to make a fair few of them doesn't he? Having said that he made a good recovery ride and did really well. In Austin he made a good recovery too and his pass on Bradl was awesome I thought. Go Cal!!

Dovizioso is making that Ducati look better than Rossi managed last year I'd say, he's going well though I think he's lost out as the Yamaha Tech 3 bike is still a better bike. Cal is easily beating him this season where as they were closely matched last year. Not a great start for Bradley Smith yet but he's doing okay, I guess you could say it takes a rookie time to get used to the step up to motogp from the lower ranks. Though of course young Marquez then blows that theory wide open doesn't he? He's a talent that boy and I think Dani Pedrosa is going to be psychologically crippled if he can't find a way of beating his team mate sooner rather than later. Marquez is all over him already and that wasn't in the plan was it? This was meant to be Pedrosa's year!! ;)

I am reliably informed things will be different when they get back to Europe, we'll see about that. Jerez next, at least I know that track, makes it a bit easier to enjoy the race when you do I find. It's shaping up to be a great season I would say.

Of course the rumour is the BBC will be losing the motogp coverage after this year and it could well be going to BT Vision. I hope that doesn't happen as if it does I'm stuffed for watching it. I can't watch it on the computer like so many others seems to. Don't know what I'll do then but I'll worry about it if/when it happens.
Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:15 pm

:sun: Still around... things are ok... We are still alive in this soggy corner :rotflmao:

Well... Cal and his unforced errors. lets pick this problem over.

He is riding a satellite Yamaha. It is based on last years factory frame, and is fitted with parts that Yamaha have "discarded" - having developed newer (and better?) parts, so in effect it is an "old" bike it should (in theory) be returning race laps that are little slower than the factory bikes of Lorenzo and Rossi, and yet Cal is up there with them. My personal estimation of it - having watched club bike racers from a very close perspective is that the boy is riding the wheels off of that pile of old parts, and it is a mark of his skill and courage that he consistently returns such good results.... GIVE THE GUY A FACTORY RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! My take on the "errors" are in all likelihood the bike passing the limit of its capabilities.. hes just riding that 2nd division pile of parts too hard :yay:

Bradl sadly has the weight of his fathers shadow (Helmut), while he was never a world champion, there is a certain expectation amongst many that Stefan should do well because of his parentage, indeed I have heard this from a few commentators, who assume that having a father who raced and now mentors his son must be worth some extra 10ths. I think if people stopped talking about his fathers 5 wins in 250s etc and let the guy race on his own merits, I believe he would be a happier and more settled rider.

Marquez scares me. The guy is fast and fearless, and that means the potential for a nasty accident is a little larger than for the average rider. He seems to be one of those rare talents that just appear from time to time. I wish him a long and successful career, and I hope that success will not go to his head, love or hate Rossi he has a visible sense of humour which is a refreshing change when so many "sportsmen" are so far up themselves.... I refer in particular to "The Donkey" - I cant see many F1 drivers having the character to do something like that.

The Ducati is still not a competitive machine, despite them having dropped the carbon fibre frame it still doesn't have what it takes to win races. I'm sure the machine has developed over the winter, I think we will see it improve in the coming months.

As for Dani, I think his chance has come and gone I don't see him topping the points table.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Lyria on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Hey you :)

I am a big Cal fan, he is my favourite rider, I have the keyring and literally the t-shirt too!! I've just noticed that he often is pushing and hard and then makes a mistake, but I agree, you're absolutely right, he is on an inferior bike and he's doing great given what he is riding. Put him on a factory bike and I think he'd be regularly winning races, I truly do, and could go for the championship as well.

See I know so little about the history of motogp (and I miss having the knowledge about it like I have on F1) I didn't know about Bradl's father. That is always something you have to get over if you have a famous father, we've seen it in F1 with drivers like Damon Hill, Jacques Villeneuve and Nico Rosberg to name but a few. It's a door opener initially I imagine but the expection level on them is obviously that much greater, as is the pressure.

Oh I think there's going to be fireworks with Marquez if things don't go his way, I also expect to see him being punished and sent to the back of the grid more than once this season, if/when that happens we'll really see what he's made of. I have heard from those who watched him in lower levels that's a ruthless rider who could cause all kinds of problems. If he keeps being as fast as he's been so far then he's fine, but I'm not sure he's going to be a likable rider, he's going to be one of those who are like Marmite, you either love or hate them.

The ducati does look more impressive than last year so far but still has a way to go. I feel bad for Spies being out again with his shoulder injury, though I am sure Pirro is celebrating, he has a chance to go racing in Jerez. Pedrosa has been a bridesmaid so many times, has his missed his chance to be a bride? I am beginning to think so sadly for him.

It should be an interesting season that's for sure.
Lyria

Postby Paul on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Its Early yet ;)

Now they go from a fantastic track, to a regular one, so things will change :beer:

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lyria on Sun May 05, 2013 3:21 pm

One question, was Marquez ruthless or dangerous?

See I could make an argument for either, I know you could almost see steam coming out of Lorenzo's helmet at the end there and who could blame him? Thing is, in some ways I'm inclined to think it is such moves as that which make champions, or they end up with someone getting badly hurt. It's a very fine line between the two I reckon.

Espargaro was excellent again, good ride by Cal despite his injuries, nice pass on Bautista too, that's the way to do it ;) Have to say too, if Pedrosa hadn't won/beaten his team mate today his season would probably have been as good as over in his mind, now, we got a fight for the championship!! Rossi is still good, but yet again he's not as on it as the other top 3 riders, yes I know, new team, new bike, Marquez has those same issues though and it hasn't held him back any has it?
Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 am

Hmmm. Gibenau/Rossi - Spanish GP 2005 (?), similar thing, no protest. The thing is I have heard it said that Marquez can be a pain when it doesn't go his way, so I am waiting to see how he reacts when the roles are reversed, as I am sure they will be now, hes kinda put down a marker that will require other riders to step up to the same aggression level. I still think that Marc is riding his luck hard (as well as the bike) and that at some point it has to bite him.

Rossi apparently prefers a front heavy bike with a lot of weight on the front legs, There is talk that the '13 fuel tank moves the fuel payload further back in the chassis - Cal is running the '12 tank which has the weight up front. Eurosport (Toby Moody?) were saying there is a test this week and they were expecting to see Rossi trialling the '12 tank on the '13 frame as he has all the weight possible from the standard '13 configuration dialed in to the front legs at the moment.

I wonder if Cal was riding a "recovery race", looking to maintain his position in the points without expecting to have the ability to push himself hard to win after the problems he has seen this weekend. Its the sensible thing to do, just keep the points stacking up - its happened before that guys have taken the title without dominating the top step of the podium - consistency is also important!

Bradl again seems to be trying too hard, and its frustrating because a couple of years ago when he came up to the top class he had some good speed, I still think the pressure is getting to him Honda and the critics need to let him find his pace and style as right now he seems to be trying too hard. It isn't long ago that Both Bradl and Crutchlow were hailed as the new rising stars of the series, I feel for the guy that everyone seems to expect first division performance from a guy on a second division bike, Yes I know Cal is delivering in those circumstances, I wonder if some of that is down to a difference in the way the satellite teams are treated by the different factories - maybe Yamaha are more generous or prolific in developments.

Good race. Qually was interesting, its looking to be a good season. :yay:
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Lyria on Mon May 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Yes I've heard the Rossi/ Gibenau thing from '05 quoted as being similar incident, I wouldn't know of course as I wasn't watching it then.

Oh and on Thursday it seems they will announce that motogp coverage in the UK is going to BT Vision, so that means I won't be able to watch anymore as I can't watch online, even though a kind friend offered to pay for a log in for me at motogp.com. :banghead: :angryfire: :argh: :rant: I'm not happy about it I can assure you! Why does all the sport get sold to pay per view? It's so unfair.

No penalty for that move by Marc from the new penalty point system then, I would have considered that a dangerous move myself because there was no way he could make that corner without Lorenzo being there for him to brush against like that. It was a deliberate act in some ways, yet they both got away with it. Being on Lorenzo corner had to make it hurt that little bit more though didn't it?

From what he said Cal was riding a recovery race, he was pretty damn sore after coming off twice on Saturday and I think he was just glad to get through the race without any further incident. He rode well considering and kept Rossi honest. What was worrying for the Yamaha team was they said it was a track that should suit them best, yet it was Honda who got a one-two finish. Can't comment on the fuel tank thing with Rossi, don't know enough about it, but I do know Cal got no updates from last year, the only thing that changed on his bike from 2012 to 2013 was the number font on the front.

Bradl is trying too hard, three races and two retirements isn't a good start to the season for him is it? He needs to calm down a bit. Good result by Laverty making it up to 13th as well, his first points I believe. So yeah, a good race with lots of promise for the rest of the season. Dani has proved it's not going to go Marc's way all the time and that can only be a good thing so long as they don't take points off one another and let Lorenzo win the championship.
Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Mon May 06, 2013 4:02 pm

Damn more PPV? This is getting ridiculous. I saw a link for streaming sports coverage - Im sure it was here - here a while ago that worked well for footie. Damned if I can find the link now though :banghead:

Any ideas anyone.... it was only a few months back.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Warweezil on Mon May 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Damn more PPV? This is getting ridiculous. I saw a link for streaming sports coverage - Im sure it was here - here a while ago that worked well for footie. Damned if I can find the link now though :banghead:

Any ideas anyone?.... it was only a few months back. seemed to be a good site with some decent stuff on there incl motorsports, I was sure I bookmarked it... but cant find it now :angryfire: That site had F1 coverage so maybe they would have Moto GP coverage.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Paul on Mon May 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I was happy with Marks move on Rossi, showing him that hie shit wouldn't be happening, but the one on Lorry wasa bit of a booboo.. It didnt take long for mark to be what he was in Moto2 did it :hihi:

Have PMed you with a possibhly good link WW :beer:

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby Lyria on Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 am

Warweezil wrote:Damn more PPV? This is getting ridiculous. I saw a link for streaming sports coverage - Im sure it was here - here a while ago that worked well for footie. Damned if I can find the link now though :banghead:

Any ideas anyone?.... it was only a few months back. seemed to be a good site with some decent stuff on there incl motorsports, I was sure I bookmarked it... but cant find it now :angryfire: That site had F1 coverage so maybe they would have Moto GP coverage.

I know some people who could give you a good link if the one from Paul doesn't work out. Let me know if you need it :)
Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Thu May 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Its probably my last season for watching televised sport :banghead: My income is going down not up and Dorna selling out to the muppets at BT is the last straw :argh: I DONT have money to throw at this. nor will I be blackamiled into taking BT Broadband in order to watch a sport :rant: Maybe BT would like to spend some of the £8 million in sorting out my unfit for purpose phone line so I can get decent and consistent broadband service. :angryfire:

I really hope Dorna falls on its butt over this.

Once again the BBC fails Motorsport fans who are also victims of the licence blackmail that operates in the UK. :yaynot:
One more treason to hate BT and strengthen my resolve to NEVER take their retail broadband or Phone services - in fact its time that the voiceline tax was removed from broadband provision.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Postby Lyria on Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I hate to say it but I told you they were going to do this, I take no joy in being right though I can assure you. It means in the UK you can't watch motogp anymore without paying for it. I can't and I won't, so once this season is done, so am I whether I like it or not. :angryfire: :rant: Could have been worse, Sky could have got it, then I'd be even more annoyed about it.

Oh and the news that Cal might be dropped by Yamaha next year for Espargaro doesn't thrill me either. I feel like giving up now, what's the point?

Lyria

Postby Warweezil on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:02 am

I still think that Marc is riding his luck hard (as well as the bike) and that at some point it has to bite him.

*Does the "told ya so" dance* :yay:

Musta hurt, but did you see him spitting his dummy in the kitty litter? Its a sign of immaturity to throw a race like that, 3 laps from the end when you know he hasnt the raw speed to both catch and challenge the leader of position, but he threw threw points away and gifted Cal another top 3 result to add to his record, I'm happy with that.

What about Bradley Smith? Ouch! He tweeted a photo of his finger injury, it was just a hole in the flesh OUCH!!!!!!!! It really wasn't his weekend.

Stirling ride from Cal again, the guy just gets on with it, its been a long time coming but finally we have a contender from the UK!

Bradl put in a decent performance. with a nice pass and re-pass fight going on in the closing moments...

As for Rossi, From the overhead shot it looked like he collected someone who wasn't worried about if that part of the track was already occupied or not. It was a hard impact at a point where there is no air fence deployed (why?) and I am thankful that there were no nasty consequences.

Oh well thats one less to watch - one closer to pretty much giving up on televised motorsport.Soon all I see will be the live stuff at Pembrey, and even that is on the back burner this year - money is just way too tight to allow me to have my usual season. Gave the sprint a miss this weekend, have given up supporting those meetings, there is an attitude amongst some of the competitors that is frankly insulting to those who help facilitate the event, Its something I can do without - the hillclimb guys n girls are have a much better mindset.
Original Member no 137
Warweezil

Next

Return to Other Motorsports