ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

NASCAR 2013

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

NASCAR 2013

Postby f1datavis on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm not sure how much enthusiasm there is for the NASCAR Sprint series on the forum, but I am an off-and-on youtube spectator. The Daytona 500 was pretty special and started the perennial "let's get Danica into F1" thing in the papers again (she qualified on pole, finishing eighth, was running 3rd going into the 200th and final lap, but got squeezed onto the wrong line). She is not going to run in F1 peeps, get over it.

Anyway, if there is demand, this might be a good thread for continuing discussion of the series.

Jimmie Johnson took a lovely win in Daytona, and saw some of the serious cup rivals hit the wall or taken out. He's not a contender for the championship, but F1 fans may like to note that NASCAR journeyman Montoya got unceremoniously taken out on lap 33.
f1datavis

Re: NASCAR 2013

Postby IanK on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:07 pm

f1datavis wrote: She is not going to run in F1 peeps, get over it.

Part of that is everyone seems to forget that she sucks on road courses. I know that over the years she had some decent results and even a win, but those were all on ovals. Had she been in the old Champ Car series where it was the Milwaukee Mile and a bunch of road/street tracks she'd have probably been dropped after a season or two for underperforming and been remembered along the lines of Milka Duno.
f1datavis wrote:Alonso looking god-like right now.
IanK

Postby Ciro Pabón on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:27 pm

We remember Milk-a Dunno, great driver.

Better than Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson

We also like Danica Patrick for her driving style and her ability in road courses.

They would probably win over Alonso, Räikkonen, Vettel and the rest of mediocre drivers in Formula One.

Those who, driven by their lack of racing knowledge, say they cannot drive in road courses are ignorants and noobs, fanatics whose sexism is disgusting.

Being a discreet person, I won't mention their names (---> IanK <----|----> f1datavis <---).

The only thing I would ask for are regulations demanding transparent fire suits.
Ciro

GP meliora est
Ciro Pabón

Postby Lawrence on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:09 pm

Can't pass on any thread that mentions Milka Dunno, even if I really have nothing to add.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby f1datavis on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Moi? :shy:
f1datavis

Postby f1datavis on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:56 am

So Denny Hamlin is hurt pretty badly after a wreck probably caused by Joey Logano. Big feud going on; entertaining but Hamlin is pretty lucky to have escaped even worse...
f1datavis

Postby Lawrence on Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Don't follow NASCAR, but was pretty aware that Montoya was rather consistently under-achieving there. Interesting article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/juan-pablo-montoya-departure-marks-end-magical-era-180600748.html

And this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascars-greed-sagging-attendance-164200797--nascar.html

And finally, of course in the face of bad news, this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2013/02/16/nascar-tracks-attendance/1925205/

If you don't like what people are saying....don't give them any data !!!
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby f1datavis on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 am

Looks like Montoya likely to land another NASCAR seat, which pleases me as he seems to be just about getting the hang of it and starting to challenge for oval wins. Good luck to him. I really miss Montoya off the F1 grid, and would love for him to land, say, the spare Lotus seat. But it'll never happen.
f1datavis

Postby Lawrence on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Well he would have to drop from his NASCAR racing weight back down to modern F1 racing weight. They are already having problems shoehorning the current drivers in the cars !!!
Lawrence

Postby Lawrence on Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Read an Time Magazine article on NASCAR this morning while in the dentist's waiting room: http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2153755,00.html

Can't get the whole article here, but the gist of it was that the average age of their fan base is 47 and they are not pulling in new fans. The business has dropped at least a third in overall revenues, revenues have declined for the last six years, and the decline does not seem to stop. The article did play up the "social and political" aspects perhaps a little too much, but that is a clear factor. They also mentioned that Juan Pablo Montoya is heading back to Indy Cars next year (which of course, was made in the context of the lack of latino and black drivers). The article seemed to point to the conclusion that there was little on the horizon that was going to change the situation.
Lawrence

Postby f1datavis on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Sad really. I really enjoy the uniqueness of NASCAR, and evidently its not easy to be quick in. Certainly its exciting.
f1datavis

Postby Lawrence on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am

f1datavis wrote:Sad really. I really enjoy the uniqueness of NASCAR, and evidently its not easy to be quick in. Certainly its exciting.

I am surprised at how little of an impression Monyoya made there. On the other hand, Tony Stewart, who was also an Indy Car driver, has made a big impression. Hard to say what works and what does not.
Lawrence

Postby f1datavis on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:08 pm

True enough. Certainly comfort with a heavy but floaty car. In single seaters I'm guessing folks who dislike an overly pointy front end, so more Senna and less Schumacher. But then, also comfort more a more 'physical' race craft, Schumi might do alright :D

They should run a charity fundraiser in the off season where two formulae grids swap rides in a double header... Pricey, but bloody fun.
f1datavis

Postby Lawrence on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Well, a number of drivers from outside the formula have done well in NASCAR over the years (Gurney, Mario Andretti, and Foyt come to mind, in addition to Tony Stewart), but there a very few cases of NASCAR drivers doing anything outside of NASCAR (Pearson in Trans-am and that is about it). It does not appear to be a skill set that transfers well outside of NASCAR.
Lawrence

Postby f1datavis on Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:15 pm

My attention in the 'other' threads has wandered, so apologies for the late post.

I suspect you are right about skill transfer, but it could also be that the vast majority of NASCAR drivers couldn't give a rats arse about any other form of motorsport.... NASCAR and the Cup is their Everest. Dale in an F1 car? I can see his face in my imagination , and he ain't that impressed.
f1datavis

Next

Return to Other Motorsports