ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

24 Heures du Mans 2011

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 24 Heures du Mans 2011

Postby Funkmother on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:49 am

He shouldn't be so disappointed. He won Sebring and that was against 6 factory cars.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Sinister on Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:31 pm

Possible return for Toyota next year

Toyota has been testing an all-new LMP1 car since last year, and could return to the Le Mans 24 Hours as early as 2012, according to this week's AUTOSPORT magazine.

The Japanese manufacturer commissioned the machine, which is known to incorporate hybrid technology and comply with the 2011 prototype technical regulations, from racing car constructor Dome.

When asked about the possibility of Toyota returning to top-line prototype racing, Vincent Beaumesnil, sporting manager of Le Mans organiser the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, said: "We are in contact with many manufacturers who are interested in LMP1, not just Toyota."

Toyota last competed at Le Mans as a full manufacturer in 1999, but supplied engines to the Rebellion LMP1 squad on a customer basis this year.
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby Funkmother on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:22 am

Peugeot are also reportedly developing a hybrid prototype.
Funkmother

Postby Sinister on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:36 pm

Exciting news: Porsche could return in 2014 :yay:

Porsche will return to the Le Mans 24 Hours with a full factory LMP1 prototype in 2014, the Stuttgart-based sportscar manufacturer has announced.

As the event's most successful manufacturer, the company has not been represented in a works capacity in the top class at Le Mans since 1998 when Porsche claimed the last of its 16 outright victories with Allan McNish, Stephane Ortelli and Laurent Aiello in the 911 GT1.

It has retained a strong presence in the GT class since then, however.

President of the Executive Board at Porsche AG, Matthias Muller, said the company had always intended to return to Le Mans as a factory team and had been waiting for the right time to announce its intentions.

"Motorsport was always an essential part of the Porsche brand," said Müller. "So for us it was only a matter of time before we returned as a factory to the top league of racing.

"Porsche's successes in Le Mans are unrivalled. We want to follow up on this with the 17th outright victory."

Porsche's last factory involvement in the prototype class was its successful American Le Mans Series-winning LMP2 RS Spyder - which was run and developed by Penske.

Porsche back at Le Mans with new LMP1The company has not released details on the new project, or whether it will be a coupe or an open roof car, but indicated that it wanted to make the most of the Automobile Club de l'Ouest's inticing approach to green technologies.

Hartmut Kristen, Head of Porsche Motorsport, said: "We're looking forward to the task of developing new technologies and to continue on with the success of the Porsche RS Spyder. After the conclusion of our works-supported sports prototype programme in the American Le Mans Series we have kept up with the latest technological advances.

"Now we will begin with detailed research in order to evaluate the various concept alternatives for our new car.

"These obviously depend on how the regulations for the year 2014 look in detail. In principle, these regulations are interesting for us because the integration of our hybrid technology in the vehicle concept is one possible option."

Porsche indicated that it could use the new project to highlight new technologies as it did recently with the 911 GT3 R Hybrid, which raced in the recent Nurburgring 24 Hours with the flywheel KERS system developed by Williams.

"With the RS Spyder we proved that our motorsport engineers in Weissach are at the forefront," said Wolfgang Hatz, Board Member for Research and Development at Porsche AG. "For instance, we were the first to run a high-revving race engine with direct fuel injection, DFI, setting new standards in performance and efficiency.

"Recently, with the 911 GT3 R Hybrid, we adopted a completely new drive technology for racing purposes and achieved a considerable reduction in consumption."

Porsche's run of victories at Le Mans began in 1970 with Richard Attwood and Hans Herrmann in the fabled 917. The French track then witnessed the marque dominate through the 1980s, with a consecutive wins from '81 - '87, the last six of those with the 956/962 derivatives.

Can't wait for them to return. But I have a feeling Audi will pull out at the end of 2013. Doesn't Porsche own a share of VAG?

Sinister

Postby Funkmother on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:30 am

Yeah, I think so.

I was wondering whether they intended using their "flybrid" system as they referred to the similar flywheel KERS in the #5 Hope Racing hybrid that ran in LMP1 this year. There were still Porsche RS Spyders running in LMP2 at last year's Le Mans but none this year. It would be good to see them running a prototype again; I'm happy to see as many different types of prototype as possible at LM.

What I really want to see is that new Aston Martin getting some proper development. The old Lola Aston prototype was the best sounding car at LM last year and the best of the petrol-driven cars behind the all-conquering diesels. The new Aston AMR-One was a bit of a fail this year because they hit the go button on its development a bit too late. By next year they'll have had plenty of time to develop it and I want to see what they can make of it. There's talk that the straight six engine's crank is too long and it won't work. Well obviously Aston's engineers feel differently. I wans to see who is right. And I want to hear that great Aston sound again.
Funkmother

Postby Sinister on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:24 pm

Now Jaguar seem interested in returning.

Jaguar is beginning to plan for its first bid for outright honours at the Le Mans 24 Hours since 1991, this week's AUTOSPORT magazine reveals.

The British manufacturer's Indian owner, Ratan Tata, and bosses at Jaguar parent company Tata Motors are known to be evaluating a return to the prototype ranks with an all-new LMP1 car.

AUTOSPORT understands that a decision has already been made in principle to mount an attack on the race in the future, although it is unclear what timeframe Jaguar and Tata are working to.

A Jaguar spokesperson said: "We are monitoring developments in motorsport around the world."

Jaguar has seven Le Mans victories to its name, its most recent success coming in 1990 with the XJR-12.

Sinister

Postby Funkmother on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 am

I find the idea appealing but how much expertise do Jaguar have left? Is there any race expertise left in Jaguar or with this be a Tata-based effort? If this is being run out of India, they might have problems doing business when everybody hangs up on them because they think its a call about a non-existent virus on their computer. :evil:

Still, imagine a battle betweek Porsche and Jaguar. :thumbs:
Funkmother

Postby Funkmother on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:30 am

It may be more than 2½ months since this race but I've finally gotten around to editing my digital recording of the race down to 10 DVDs. I must say, that's not the whole race because in spite of Eurosport's promotions that indicated they'd be telecasting the entire 24 hours, they crossed to two other sports in the middle of the night so really its about 21 hours of race and maybe a little more than an hour of pre and post race comment. At least this time I managed to have the start and finish on disc unlike last year when the final six hours or so of my recording bombed.

Of course, its a bit hard to plant your arse in front of the TV for the entire 24 hours and this was the only way I was ever going to see all of the race and that was to consume it in small chunks. Still, I now figure I've seen more of the race than the vast majority. Of course, there was much of the race I never saw the first time around but I must say I was appalled by the way a lapped Peugeot was allowed to hold up and even risk contact with the race-leading Audi in the final quarter of the race. Clearly blue flags don't apply to the same degree as they do in F1. Its true that blue flags were being shown to regularly to GT cars being lapped but it would appear its different when its a French car that's holding up the Audi. All the same, the #2 car was lucky to win even by 13 seconds given the way it had been delayed. I thought it was quite appalling.
Funkmother

Postby Sinister on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Sinister wrote:Possible return for Toyota next year

Toyota has been testing an all-new LMP1 car since last year, and could return to the Le Mans 24 Hours as early as 2012, according to this week's AUTOSPORT magazine.

The Japanese manufacturer commissioned the machine, which is known to incorporate hybrid technology and comply with the 2011 prototype technical regulations, from racing car constructor Dome.

When asked about the possibility of Toyota returning to top-line prototype racing, Vincent Beaumesnil, sporting manager of Le Mans organiser the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, said: "We are in contact with many manufacturers who are interested in LMP1, not just Toyota."

Toyota last competed at Le Mans as a full manufacturer in 1999, but supplied engines to the Rebellion LMP1 squad on a customer basis this year.

Toyota confirm return to Le Mans

Toyota has confirmed that it will make a fully-fledged return to the Le Mans 24 Hours next year with a petrol hybrid LMP1 car, as predicted by AUTOSPORT in June.

The programme will mark Toyota's first full-scale Le Mans bid since its GT-One car of 1998 and '99. Toyota had already rejoined the LMP1 ranks as engine supplier to Rebellion Racing this year.

The new car will enter several other World Endurance Championship rounds alongside Le Mans. Its chassis will be constructed by Toyota Motorsport GmbH - formerly the firm's Formula 1 operation - with the engine coming from the Toyota Motor Corporation in Japan.

Tadashi Yamashina, Toyota Motor Corporation Senior Managing Officer and TMG chairman, said the hybrid technology element was key to Toyota's return to sportscar racing's top flight.

"Toyota Motor Corporation has entered Le Mans before but by using our hybrid technology this time will be a completely new challenge," he said.

"We want to write a new page in the history of the Le Mans 24 Hours, as well as in the FIA World Endurance Championship, through our use of hybrid technology.

"In addition, we aim to learn from the experience of competing in such a challenging motorsport environment to enhance our production car technology.

"Le Mans is a legendary race and I would like to thank the ACO and the FIA for their constructive and positive cooperation over the last few months."

A Toyota statement said the new car "is planned to take part in a roll-out around the turn of the year prior to an extensive test schedule in early 2012."

Toyota's previous Le Mans programme saw it take pole position and finish second in the 1999 race, before it switched its attention to its forthcoming F1 operation.

Sinister

Postby Funkmother on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:10 am

I don't think they're going to win Le Mans in a Prius.
Funkmother

Postby Sinister on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 am

^o^

Sinister

Postby Paolo 2 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Sinister wrote:Doesn't Porsche own a share of VAG?

it's a bit more complex than that http://www.porsche-se.com/pho/en/porsch ... structure/
Paolo 2

Postby Sinister on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Damn, you are right. :hihi:

Sinister

Postby Sinister on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Toyota's all-new 2012 Le Mans 24 Hours contender hit the track for the first time last week.

The Japanese manufacturer's petrol-electric hybrid LMP1 coupe was shaken down over three days at Paul Ricard, starting on Wednesday. No comment has been forthcoming from Toyota Motorsport GmbH about the test, but it is understood that the car completed several hundred kilometres of largely trouble-free running.

All three of the drivers who will race Toyota's solo entry at Le Mans and in selected rounds of the FIA World Endurance Championship this year were on hand at the test.

It is believed that Alex Wurz, whose team-mates are Nicolas Lapierre and Kazuki Nakajima, was at the wheel for the first laps and undertook the majority of the driving.

Further testing is scheduled at Ricard at the end of the month, when more official details of Toyota's progress should emerge.

The car, a name for which has yet to be announced, is expected to make its race debut in the Spa WEC round in May.

Sinister

Postby Funkmother on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:02 pm

So nice to see a couple of former F1 pilots in the car. Still, its only dipping a toe in the water given they'll be up against three Peugeots and three Audis. They'll more likely be contesting the unofficial hybrid class along with Hope Racing who ran the Oreca hybrid last year (assuming they return, which is not a given).
Funkmother

PreviousNext

Return to Other Motorsports