ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Nascar

Talk about other disciplines of motorsports around the world

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Nascar

Postby DixonFan on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:23 am

We get a bit of NASCAR coverage here, pretty much all races live plus highlights. I quite enjoy it (any racing is better than no racing), particularly if you appreciate it for what it is rather than what it isn't. I'm pleased to see Monty is having a good season and is in the running for the chase.

NASCAR is an unusual beast of a racing series. It is an odd mix of low tech (especially compared to F1) and until recently pretty low budgets. This means "on the day" has way more significance, and adds a bit of variety. "Wrecks" are more common place, and again adds another vraiable, no matter how good a driver you are. There is certainly a completely different skill set to "standard" racing.

Still, the southern folks who mostly make up the sport do provide a fair amount of amusement. Boogedy Boogedy, anybody?
"To think, I turned to a cult for mindless happiness when I had beer all along" - Homer J Simpson
DixonFan

Postby Clag on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Doing something is rewarding over time.
But doing nothing pays dividends immediately
Clag

Postby strad on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:36 pm

Man...Ambrose must be gutted....what a way to lose...drive a beautiful race and screw the pooch on the last corner...MAN.
Y'all better tie kerosene soaked rags around your ankles, to keep the ants from crawlin up your legs and eating your candy asses
strad

Postby DixonFan on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:38 am

I didn't see any of it - did he lose it himself? He was always pretty cool in the Aussie V8s, though would bash around a bit when back in the pack.
"To think, I turned to a cult for mindless happiness when I had beer all along" - Homer J Simpson
DixonFan

Postby DixonFan on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:42 am

I didn't see any of it - did he lose it himself? He was always pretty cool in the Aussie V8s, though would bash around a bit when back in the pack.
DixonFan

Postby DixonFan on Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:46 am

coooool

double post, 4 minutes apart. spooky...
DixonFan

Postby Clag on Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:58 am

That race took 4 hours ....for a 200 mile race. 12 cautions. It wasn't a good race to watch. There were too many drivers involved that didn't belong there IMO , and all they did is run into each other all day.
Doing something is rewarding over time.
But doing nothing pays dividends immediately
Clag

Postby strad on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:08 pm

Oh he did it to himself...said as much in what is a record short post race interview...Didn't want to talk about it...don't blame him.
Y'all better tie kerosene soaked rags around your ankles, to keep the ants from crawlin up your legs and eating your candy asses
strad

Postby DixonFan on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:46 am

Yeah, that sounds like Ambrose.

4 hours? For a 200 mile race? And they say F1 is broing...
DixonFan

Postby strad on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:08 am

Petty and Yates under one roof...so to speak.

Richard Petty Motorsports will merge with Yates Racing, running a four-car Ford operation with drivers Kasey Kahne, Elliott Sadler, AJ Allmendinger and Paul Menard, the teams announced Thursday.
strad

Postby strad on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:02 am

A very nice second by Montoya...Congrats Juan...nice start to the chase..
strad

Postby DixonFan on Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:20 am

that's a great effort - I saw this morning he was on pole, but that doesn't count for much in NASCAR. I also read an article recently on Ganassi in NASCAR, in essence it said he was happy he could finally show what the team is capable of.

I am genuinely happy for Monty, I reckon he is another driver who would have prospered in a different F1 era. NASCAR is incredibly tough, so hats off to him for giving it a go, and with a team who aren't traditionally leaders in the series (though it is a team that Monty has a lot of history with).

Are any of the chase races on road courses or all ovals?
DixonFan

Postby grunf77 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:34 am

DixonFan wrote:that's a great effort - I saw this morning he was on pole, but that doesn't count for much in NASCAR. I also read an article recently on Ganassi in NASCAR, in essence it said he was happy he could finally show what the team is capable of.

I am genuinely happy for Monty, I reckon he is another driver who would have prospered in a different F1 era. NASCAR is incredibly tough, so hats off to him for giving it a go, and with a team who aren't traditionally leaders in the series (though it is a team that Monty has a lot of history with).

Are any of the chase races on road courses or all ovals?

All ovals.
Listen, it was hard enough to drive those heavy old cars back then under normal circumstances, but with a crazed monkey clawing you at the same time, it becomes nearly impossible! http://www.timflock.com/jocko.htm
grunf77

Postby DixonFan on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:32 am

That's a sha, I think a street/road course could have helped him.

I don't excpect him to win the chase, but a top 5 finish would be pretty impressive.
DixonFan

Postby strad on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:13 pm

That's a sha, I think a street/road course could have helped him.

I don't excpect him to win the chase, but a top 5 finish would be pretty impressive.

Agreed all round..There SHOULD be at least one road course in the chase.
strad

PreviousNext

Return to Other Motorsports