ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Please Read - Terms and Conditions information.

Your questions and suggestions about the forum

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Please Read - Terms and Conditions information.

Postby Captain Awesome on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:45 pm

Funkmother wrote:And to be accurate, he didn't actually make any threats. He just reserved the possibility of legal action.
*scoff* Bluster and bluff! He sounds like a very sylly boy.

I "reserve the possibility" of jumping on him and pummelling him if I ever meet him (what I'll actually do - very loudly, while pointing - is say "Hey, aren't you the guy who got all legal and blustery because you didn't like what someone had written about you on GrandPrix.com? Haha, you're such a w@nker!").

However, I can understand where you're coming from - it's a lot less hassle to simply say "Okay, let's simply not mention this tw@lt's name and save ourselves the potential hassle that might result if he actually was insane/stupid/deluded enough to think he'd have a snowball's chance in hell of bringing anything resembling a viable case against us in court."

I thought GP.com was based in the States, anyway - can't you just point out that he'd have to bring the case in a US court, while pointing to the First Amendment and giving him the finger? :clint: :evil: :vettel:
Captain Awesome

Postby Captain Awesome on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:52 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: :clint: :evil: :vettel:
That's a brilliant smiley combination, even if I do say so myself. :)
Captain Awesome

Postby Lyria on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:17 pm

Funkmother wrote:We wouldn't want to say. And to be accurate, he didn't actually make any threats. He just reserved the possibility of legal action. That's probably about as much as we want to say at this time. It probably won't do you a hell of a lot of good to start engaging in random speculation. I'm sure we won't have any further issues if we all just be sensible and play nice. :thumbs:

Well I call suggesting the possibility of legal action a threat to be honest, but okay I'll go with you on that one.

It goes to prove though that what we say here can be read by anyone and it can cause problems, so as long as we're all aware of that then we can just get on with the business of discussing, in a well thought out and mature way, the topic of F1, right? :roll:
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:I thought GP.com was based in the States, anyway - can't you just point out that he'd have to bring the case in a US court, while pointing to the First Amendment and giving him the finger? :clint: :evil: :vettel:

Yea, I think even his lawyer would tell him it is a waste of time and money.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Captain Awesome on Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:27 pm

Lyria wrote:Well I call suggesting the possibility of legal action a threat to be honest...
Albeit a pretty hollow one...

Lawrence wrote:Yea, I think even his lawyer would tell him it is a waste of time and money.
Actually, your average shyster would probably do it quite happily (but insist that his legal fees were paid up front).

You know, come to think of it, it could turn out to be quite an effective way of bankrupting the moron. Also, it would be quite funny, not to mention poetic justice. The ironic thing is that, by making a fuss about it, he's actually confirmed, beyond doubt, that he's a moron. If he'd simply ignored it I, for one, wouldn't have paid any attention - I simply thought "Oh, someone has a poor opinion of someone else." Shocker! Not exactly an unusual occurrence on the Internet!

Now, I'm thinking "Hmm! X is so insecure that they feel the urge to make an issue of it. And they're so stupid that they think they have legal weight to throw around."
Captain Awesome

Postby @Lter3d_eg0 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Uh oh. Might this have something to do with those pics of a certain former F1 team boss in skimpy swimming trunks that Dev so loves to post around the forum? :reallyevil:

Sorry folks! As you were. :D
TMFKaAA -- The Member Formerly Known as ArchAngel :hypocrite: :D
@Lter3d_eg0

Postby Paolo 2 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:32 pm

Lyria wrote:
Funkmother wrote:We wouldn't want to say. And to be accurate, he didn't actually make any threats. He just reserved the possibility of legal action. That's probably about as much as we want to say at this time. It probably won't do you a hell of a lot of good to start engaging in random speculation. I'm sure we won't have any further issues if we all just be sensible and play nice. :thumbs:

[color=#400080]Well I call suggesting the possibility of legal action a threat to be honest

I strongly agree
Paolo 2

Postby Silver Fox on Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Hmm... from the comments I've read here I think my original point of view is shared by many here.

Re: some of the points made answering my previous post I'm afraid that I do not agree with FuMo with regards to our responsibilities when posting on this (or any other) site. We are not radio DJs, journalists nor magasine editors (all of whom work in licensed areanas) nor do we share similar responsibilities with them when posting on threads. Instead we are all just simple Joes posting our opinions on an unlicensed, unregulated and totally free medium (the internet). Anyone trying (pathetically in my view) to 'protect' their reputation on the WWW simply by issuing threats (whether veiled, implied or explicit) against posts that they believe may be detrimental to themselves is simply exposing themselves to the whole wide world as exhibiting as much common sense as a latter day King Kanute, only a billion times worse.

For those who do not know the person who complained isn't a major league F1 player. Instead they are a very minor pin prick at the extremities of the sport who obviously doesn't take on board the midget's view about publicity. Far from protecting their reputation they've exposed their very real self to the WWW in a way that even they probably couldn't have imagined. As for the Admin of this site surely anyone who understood the situation must have realised that the legal position implied by the complainant was, at best, extremely ambitious, threatening as it did the legal right to free speach (gained via the death of millions in recent world wars). Furthermore surely they (as well as the person who complained) must also have realised that, in taking the actions that they did, they would only stoke up the issue rather than letting it simply die away.

Whilst I do not blame the individual Mods for doing what they were told to do the actions taken by Admin in bowing down to an extremely hollow position taken by a very minor and insignificant member of the motorsport fratunity definitively induces a severe crack in the integrity both of this forum and, by extension, this website. If this particular insignificant complainant can induce this sort of reaction from Admin God only knows what sort of actions they would take if the midget / Sspanky / Schuey / Flav / et al decided to take total leave of their senses and complain to them about some of the posts in this forum. For what its worth my view is the best course of action that Admin could take at this moment in time (for everyone concerned, including the complainant themselves) is to immediately pull this whole thread and hope that everyone just forgets that their lttle 'reminder' was ever issued.
Proud sponsor of 'The Team with No Name...'
Silver Fox

Postby Funkmother on Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Silver Fox wrote:... Re: some of the points made answering my previous post I'm afraid that I do not agree with FuMo with regards to our responsibilities when posting on this (or any other) site. We are not radio DJs, journalists nor magasine editors (all of whom work in licensed areanas) nor do we share similar responsibilities with them when posting on threads. Instead we are all just simple Joes posting our opinions on an unlicensed, unregulated and totally free medium (the internet). Anyone trying (pathetically in my view) to 'protect' their reputation on the WWW simply by issuing threats (whether veiled, implied or explicit) against posts that they believe may be detrimental to themselves is simply exposing themselves to the whole wide world as exhibiting as much common sense as a latter day King Kanute, only a billion times worse ...

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your lack of agreement. Case in point: Somebody on Facebook started a group called "We hate Teacher X" and invited my daughter to join. The teacher in question was one of my daughter's teachers although not one she particularly disliked. She joined the group because all of her friends were doing so. In this group insults were liberally traded about said teacher. I found out about all this when a special assembly was conducted at my daughter's school and a list of names called out to attend a special session with the principal. The police were involved. The matter was taken seriously and while the repercussions for the students involved were not dire, they were educated that comments made online differ radically from comments made in the playground.

The whole world is not the US of A. Free speech is not guaranteed everywhere. What law applies where and whether any potential case is viable is not at issue here. We are guests of the owners of this site. We use this service for free. We don't want by our behaviour to impose any stress or burden on the people operating the site, otherwise they might just think that this forum is more trouble than its worth. While I don't think that this particular case will result in that happening, repeated or more severe occurrences just might.

This sticky was not intended to be a debate. It was put here for information only. If people want to discuss legal issues they can do it elsewhere. This thread is now closed.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Previous

Return to About the Forum