ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

The site

Your questions and suggestions about the forum

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

The site

Postby AdmiralSam on Sat May 01, 2010 9:37 am

Hey y'all.

Wasn't really sure where to post this so apologies if its in the wrong place. The gp.com homepage now has a banner at the top with a lot of grey space (in safari) and black space on my mac's google chrome. There appears to be a new banner above the most recent race report picture too. Honestly, it looks fairly terrible and unprofessional. The continuing increase in advertising on the site is making it look less credible and more like the pitpasses and planetf1's in my opinion (i.e. more akin to the tabloid of the website world). Advertising needs to be more subtle - at this rate, it seems like we'll get pop ups too. While I know that this forum likely isn't read by the creators of grandprix.com, it is possible that the mods might be able to have a word. I understand the need for advertising, but I think it needs to be implemented better!

Feel free to disagree - perhaps we can use this thread for constructive criticism as to where they should be placed?
AdmiralSam

Re: The site

Postby Paul on Sat May 01, 2010 10:16 am

Looks like this on IE...

To be honest.. Advertising is one way of a site staying afloat, and pretty much necessary nowadays..

---
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
- Mark Twain .

---
Paul

Postby MikaPup on Sat May 01, 2010 2:15 pm

Shows up for me in Safari. Even on an iPad, so it's not a Flash thing*. Have you got an ad blocker?

*Dear Flash, please die a quick, yet painful death. Thanks.
MikaPup

Postby Lyria on Sun May 02, 2010 3:36 pm

Well as you say the ad isn't the nicest looking thing ever but I am guessing if it's there it's because it has to be. I could mention it to admin but I seriously doubt he's going to take an notice and take it down on the grounds it's not pretty, I'm sure he's as aware of how it looks as we are.

I see your point though but as we all know times are tough for everyone, advertising appearing on the site is more likely a necessary evil than a matter of choice sadly. Personally I can put up with an ad or two if it means we don't lose this site however much I may not enjoy seeing it.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, have been struggling with computer woes and haven't looked at much here in a few days, am getting sorted again now though thankfully.
Lyria

Postby DixonFan on Mon May 03, 2010 7:19 am

No problem with me on the new advertising - at last it is in a part of the screen I don't pay attention to, rather than in the middle of everything. This site on the whole is one of the least advertised ones I visit, and anything there is is fairly unobtusive.

What does seem to be happening that is of concern to me is the lack of material. I know this has never been a site that rehashes press releases, but the dearth of content means it is less frequent that I check it out for news. On the plus side, some of the analysis is still top rate, the stuff you have to pay for on the likes of Autosport.

As an aside, is Joe still contributing? I notice on his blog he no longer refers to the site in his link listing..
"To think, I turned to a cult for mindless happiness when I had beer all along" - Homer J Simpson
DixonFan

Postby AdmiralSam on Mon May 03, 2010 11:32 am

It appears something has changed - the banner now shows up as being black in both safari and also google chrome. It looks a lot less intrusive now at least.

I would equally agree with DixonFan though, the articles on the site also appear to be rapidly drying up.

I don't have an ad-blocker mikapup - are there any you would recommend?
AdmiralSam

Postby Dev on Mon May 03, 2010 3:46 pm

I use Firefox on WinXP/Win7, and I use AdBlock Plus, its free and works like a charm. I strongly recommend it. :thumbs:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby MikaPup on Tue May 04, 2010 12:39 am

AdmiralSam wrote:I don't have an ad-blocker mikapup - are there any you would recommend?

I use Click-to-Flash, which isn't really an Ad Blocker - but it kills all the Flash ads, which are 99% of the trouble anyway.

DixonFan wrote:As an aside, is Joe still contributing? I notice on his blog he no longer refers to the site in his link listing..

I suspect, from some things he's said in his blog, that there's been a falling out with his partner(s) here.
MikaPup

Postby Dev on Tue May 04, 2010 4:24 pm

MikaPup wrote:I suspect, from some things he's said in his blog, that there's been a falling out with his partner(s) here.

Really? That's a shame then :yaynot:
Alcohol isn't a problem, it's a solution... Just ask any chemist.
Dev

Postby Sinister on Wed May 05, 2010 9:27 am

I keep on seeing this topic in every sub-forum I visit. :eerie:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby Funkmother on Thu May 06, 2010 1:24 am

You're seeing double mate. I only left a place-marker for it back in chat in case anybody was looking for it but I thought this was a more suitable place for this conversation.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Sinister on Fri May 07, 2010 2:12 am

Funkmother wrote:You're seeing double mate.

I knew I had too many mushrooms for dinner the other day. :eerie: :armchair:
The Master Of Mind Games and the undisputed King Of Groaners :clap:

Things can only get worse.
Sinister

Postby AdmiralSam on Thu May 20, 2010 5:19 pm

just thought i'd post this here to confirm what I suppose some of us had already guessed! Joe comments in his blog under 'Looking back on the Schumacher Business' that he no longer has anything to do with the editorial on this website. I'm not really sure why he commented this there (cba to read all the comments!) but still, its a confirmation!
AdmiralSam

Postby Funkmother on Fri May 21, 2010 3:11 am

Yeah, this has been the case for a while now. Its my understanding that there was a difference of opinion with the other partners and that he decided to go his own way. Its a shame really and the contributions on the front page of this site have suffered as a result.
The metaphorical inuendo flows like chalk.
Funkmother

Postby Lawrence on Fri May 21, 2010 4:25 pm

I agree. This used to be the best F1 site out there, with a lot of inside information and often very clear-headed reporting (as opposed to repeating every rumor, like some sites do). It sort of lost its edge when Joe Saward left and unless they put someone back in to fill in the gap.....it really does not offer anything unique now.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Next

Return to About the Forum