ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Copyright Issues

Your questions and suggestions about the forum

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Copyright Issues

Postby Don Capps on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:25 am

I would strongly suggest that the moderators give very careful consideration to the consequences regarding the numerous copyright violations regarding the photographs in several of the threads here.

I would also recommend that when an article is placed here that it be given proper attribution with the author, publication, and date of publication being provided.
"As Yogi Berra might put it, it is difficult to write history, especially about the past." -- Gordon Wood, The Purpose of the Past

"History provides perspective and context, not lessons." -- Dr. Eliot Cohen
Don Capps

Re: Copyright Issues

Postby Crossa on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:28 am

Don Capps wrote:I would strongly suggest that the moderators give very careful consideration to the consequences regarding the numerous copyright violations regarding the photographs in several of the threads here.

I would also recommend that when an article is placed here that it be given proper attribution with the author, publication, and date of publication being provided.

DC,

Thanks for the heads up; I have moved your post to the about the forum section as this concerns the board in general.

I'd say in general the users here respect the issues you mentioned, re putting sources with texts, or just posting a link to a potentially interesting website instead of copying the text. As regards Youtube video's, pictures of any kind that in all cases most if not all cases are hosted on other websites, it is beyond our capabilities to check the extent to which copyrights have been violated in all these cases. We understand the issues related to that, but at the same rate, each user is responsible for what they post. I refer to the user terms:

ucp.php?mode=terms

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Grandprix.com Forum” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Grandprix.com Forum” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Grandprix.com Forum” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

This of course does not mean we sit back and be done with the issue. If and when concrete cases of violation of copyright or other laws are either spotted by us, or pointed out to us in some way, we'll take appropriate action and remove the content from the boards.

Also, I should like to point out that photographs from the Cahier archives, such as the pictures that constitute the "banner", are cleared for us to use.
Crossa

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:08 pm

In principal Don is correct....from a practical concern, there is no money being made from this, so sueing over it (which is the primary recourse), is probably never going to occur.

I think "Guy with a Beer" summerized it correctly in that these boards are like having a conversation in the pub. Now there have actually been a few people who have sued cover bands playing in bars....but in general they are ignored also. There is a practical limit to these things.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby D-Type on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:16 pm

Nevertheless, if a copyright owner did choose to get litigious it could cost the forum hosts a lot of money.
D-Type

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:32 pm

D-Type wrote:Nevertheless, if a copyright owner did choose to get litigious it could cost the forum hosts a lot of money.

Well, my understanding (and I am not a lawyer) is that you can only collect if there is any money being made and there is none in this case. Someone could certianly get some form of court order to require you to remove it, but to collect money, there has to be some real damage or money to collect.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby strad on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:43 pm

Larry, If you or anyone else is quaking in their boots waiting for a knock on the door, feel free to delete all the short stories I've put up and If we have to put up with trolls like Don just drop any notion of a literature thread.
Y'all better tie kerosene soaked rags around your ankles, to keep the ants from crawlin up your legs and eating your candy asses
strad

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 pm

strad wrote:Larry, If you or anyone else is quaking in their boots waiting for a knock on the door, feel free to delete all the short stories I've put up and If we have to put up with trolls like Don just drop any notion of a literature thread.

I am not in the least bit bothered about it. Still, it is a good habit to provide atrribution.
Lawrence

Return to About the Forum