ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2016 Engine War

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

2016 Engine War

Postby Mach on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:46 am

Tag Heuer branded Renault engine....no wonder Lotus acquisition and subsequent announcement took so long :paul:
Dennis must be pissed :rant:
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Re: 2016 Engine War

Postby Lawrence on Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:45 pm

"I don't know if that's true but it's what I'm told. Mercedes even helped Ferrari a bit technically, which is why Ferrari has caught up and they're happy. It means they're both rowing in the same boat," Ecclestone argues.

Really?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Mach on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Lawrence wrote:
"I don't know if that's true but it's what I'm told. Mercedes even helped Ferrari a bit technically, which is why Ferrari has caught up and they're happy. It means they're both rowing in the same boat," Ecclestone argues.

Really?
Yes, I do recall reading an article a while back about Mercedes helping Ferrari with the energy recovery system. Can't remember the details, but Mercedes sent their ERS contractor or an actual employee.

I'm too lazy to browse for the answer.
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:33 pm

This is as close to the evidence of conspiracy involving two teams, as I ever came across on the internet (and I read a lot). More importantly, if anyone had any concrete proof, we would have an investigation going on. Instead, what we have is, "he said, she said". As a side point, I have never heard of an upright CEO, who would publicly engage in such accusations, and got out of it, unharmed.

Red Bull accuses Mercedes of helping Ferrari in Formula One
Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one ... z3v4kbGieM
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:21 am

Helmut Marko mouthing off in April.... that is the only evidence?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:11 am

Well, if Mr. Ecclestone knows otherwise, perhaps he could state so clearly, instead his very recent "I heard it, cannot be proved, but maybe..." etc.
Ref.
http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/12/22/ecclestone-mercedes-and-ferrari-joined-at-the-hip-like-siamese-twins/
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:00 pm

This rumor serves his purposes, he doesn't care if it is true.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:54 pm

Wolff
"The independent engine is complete nonsense, just a few [people] still debating about it," Wolff told Speedweek. "We go with a hybrid on the road and will continue racing like that. Today's engine designs are the most exciting technology. With a huge amount of internal combustion engine and a minor proportion of hybrid."

And Wolff says Mercedes will do its part to ensure the current power units are more exciting to increase the appeal of F1.

"In January we will present a concept that is based on the architecture at present, but in which we will put right all things that we've done wrong. Formula 1 needs to be louder and more exciting. The cars need a lot of power and a higher top speed."

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/550273/Independent_engine_is_nonsense__Wolff/

Hmm, OK, I can't wait.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:14 pm

Renault and Genii have finally concluded their ownership transfer deal :roll:
Who will better benefit long-term title sponsorship agreements? Renault or McLaren/Honda?

Tough call really. Ron Dennis has been playing hard ball with advertisers and underperforming on the track resulting in losing a couple major sponsors. But then again, McLaren/Honda has a year head start in the reliability department. McLaren/Honda may continue internal bickering. Renault on the other hand is a manufacturer with potential advertisers finding it easier and more professionally astute to deal with.

I choose Renault :tophat:
Mach

Postby Sakae on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:43 pm

Slightly off OP, however for the record (from ESPN F1)
“One thing you may not have realized is that the LVMH group had within it another brand, which is the Hennessy Moet brand,” Dennis added. “I never give away numbers but I can tell you that our relationship under that brand is multiples more valuable than the financial situation with TAG Heuer.”

As I read it, Dennis is on defensive, claiming, that Tag Heuer after 30 years has been replaced with a higher contributor, yet side-steping explanation of causes and process, how this partnership went down the tubes for McLaren.

On engine side, It seems that Honda, whilst on the same page in terms of keeping hybrid PU in the game, is not in the centre of F1 politics, and one wonders if RD has hands in running the show on Honda's behalf.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:03 pm

He maybe holding cards close to vest in order to hide the potential private or public sale of McLaren
Mach

Postby Sakae on Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:47 pm

I read this, and not to beat around the bush, I am confused. Is RBR after V8 from Ilmor or Cosworth, or they are playing on both sides of the road?

It has been revealed that the cost for Volkswagen to start-up with Formula 1 under Lamborghini will not be to enormous, given the fact that during the first year it is likely to be not more than a ‘technical partnership’ and majority of the funding will be received by Middle Eastern investors. Red Bull’s Christian Horner admitted that talks are already underway for their 2017 engine supplier, however nothing could be revealed in terms of their plans.

Admittedly it is yet to be clarified which PU is being considered, and its widely known that Marchionne wants VW in F1, but with hybrid engines, yet entry in 2017 however would be suggestive of V8 engines.

As a point of reference, Mercedes purportedly working on hybrid technology some odd 8 years. I am of course not sure what VW has done to-date on a similar project, and where is their baseline compared to active racing teams.
Sakae

Return to Formula One Talk