ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2015 Mexico GP

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2015 Mexico GP

Postby Sakae on Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:41 pm

Vettel had relatively slower start than most around him, which actually started ball rolling IMO. It was very uncharacteristic of him, thus it raises question how was car set up for such high altitude? In terms of choosing his racing lines leading into the incident, I think they were evasive, for he was under attack on the left from a Williams, which almost hit him just moments before due to speed differential, and when he blocked left side and aimed for apex, it was probably too late to realize that RB was heading on the right side for the same spot in what had been rapidly closing space. Ahead of him, left, right, behind - Vettel had cars all around that were closing on him in higher speed, and seeing it on Monday from an armchair is one thing, while he was driving was another. It did not go well on that afternoon. He too saw it differently in driver's seat, however later in the garage in replay again other way, so much he admitted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RehLH8HxEaY
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:29 am

A note - Tilke, an architect of race tracks, has been a leading figure in reconstruction of the Mexican circuit. Compliment where compliment is due.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:44 pm

Sakae wrote:A note - Tilke, an architect of race tracks, has been a leading figure in reconstruction of the Mexican circuit. Compliment where compliment is due.

Actually, most of the track design was the same as it was in 1992. They just changed the Peraltada area. It was always a good track.

Tilke has gotten better. After all these years, his tracks are not as mindless, boring and same as they used to be. But, I do object the monopoly. I prefer a wider range of ideas and choices.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:27 am

The race track architect doesn't get to his disposal a sheet of white paper, pencil, and unlimited space. He gets in all likelihood certain budget, a huge load list which in totality usually exceeds budgetary assumptions, land fill as a base, and when range of suboptimal solutions are find, than he tries to fit a track into available parking lot. Finally, when he is done, then he can read on forums how he gets shamed.

Another shining examples how budgetary restrictions and commercial priorities clash, and destroy what could have been a beautiful idea. The renovated track in Mexico is of course exception.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:07 pm

By the way, in case we forget, after they both made their second pit stop, Rosberg did exit the track at one corner. It still could have been a replay of Austin.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:49 pm

Lawrence wrote:By the way, in case we forget, after they both made their second pit stop, Rosberg did exit the track at one corner. It still could have been a replay of Austin.

True, but behind him his team mate had done something similar on another corner which sort of evened it out.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Lyria wrote:
Lawrence wrote:By the way, in case we forget, after they both made their second pit stop, Rosberg did exit the track at one corner. It still could have been a replay of Austin.

True, but behind him his team mate had done something similar on another corner which sort of evened it out.

Yes. It does appear like they were racing. Both offs were fairly limited with little lost time, unlike at Austin.

I am not sure I accept the argument that this was gifted to Rosberg.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:45 am

Seb - perhaps I tried too hard, posting highest speed of the season
the highest top speed of the season was reached – 366km/h (227.4mph) by Sebastian Vettel in his Ferrari.

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/545617/Technical_Analysis_Plucking_366kmh_out_of_thin_air/
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Lyria wrote:

Yes. It does appear like they were racing. Both offs were fairly limited with little lost time, unlike at Austin.

I don't accept it at all. It's just Hamilton opening his mouth without engaging his brain, as so often happens, if you ask me. :roll: Even Niki Lauda (who is usually an ardent Hamilton fan) said that wasn't the case and wasn't happy that Lewis had said it. If Niki's denying it, I'm inclined to believe him.
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Lyria wrote:I don't accept it at all. It's just Hamilton opening his mouth without engaging his brain, as so often happens, if you ask me. :roll: Even Niki Lauda (who is usually an ardent Hamilton fan) said that wasn't the case and wasn't happy that Lewis had said it. If Niki's denying it, I'm inclined to believe him.

It does seem like kind of a pointless whine. If he had stayed out, suspect he would have been reeled in by Rosberg. But from a team point of view, why risk a tire puncture or off when you can just pit both of your cars a second time for the sake of safety.
Lawrence

Postby Mach on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:05 am

Lawrence wrote:
Lyria wrote:

At the end of the day, it was a boring race with the Mercedes 1 and 2 finish :roll:
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Previous

Return to Formula One Talk