ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2015 Japanese GP

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2015 Japanese GP

Postby Sakae on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:39 am

Japan 2015 - post race reflections

I love Japan, I love Suzuka, but predictable race at the front (boredom will do just fine). F1 could be facing its existential crisis, if they carry on like that. I am not sure if this was just coincidence, but some politics might have crept into TV coverage.

Looking back, I am still wondering if Singapore was a gift to keep false perception of (bogus) competition existence.

First of all, congratulation to Honda keeping it on the road. That was very good, despite some pretty damming calls on radio by their ultra expensive driver. Samurai embarrasing Honda on their home turf? Maybe in his study of 5 rings and Samurai traditions he hasn't past a second page...

Vettel has done what he could, but PU on Ferrari unfortunately is no match for Mercedes. What else is new?  Congrats to him anyway. I am not sure what is Kimi problem, but he should be doing better - well, maybe. I was not too impressed for reasons hard to explain. Just sh**y feeling, that's all.

Williams today is not the same team 20 years ago. Too many mistakes as I see it. What's Smedley's role again?

There was more action in midfield, which was fun to watch, but race also revealed that some drivers perhaps do not belong. Rossi, Stevens, Ericsson - I am not sure about you guys, and sorry for my openness.

It is not lost on me, that DR was involved again in an incident, whilst his colleague had really difficulty to keep it on the road. Both drivers shamed RBR today IMO.

Sainz lost a point on my mental score sheet, whereas MV gained. No one has told to Sainz not to collect stationary objects at the pit entrance? MV guy is really good, and he might shuffle up pretty quickly. More fun to watch TR than both current RBR drivers.

Hamilton driving Hülkenberg off track (and maybe also Nico) was rather poor show, and it is disgrace anyone still considers this as racing in present day.

On my iPad I am p...d with F1 coverage - what am I paying you if not deliver a broadcast? Instead I am bombarded to buy another services? Isn't there some law for protection of consumers that once you take money, you have obligation to deliver..? What’s happing with the old good England  for ff?
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:51 am

Not exactly an exciting race, nor worth the 6am start for me, but there you go.

Vettel did well to be in 2nd for as long as he was, he was never going to keep it though given the advantage the Mercedes cars had here. Some good midfield battles, once again Max Verstappen showed how good he is and also made light work of passing his team mate. I was slightly disappointed in Sainz for that one but there you go.

Alonso isn't happy, he's making noises that suggest he's not going to see out yet another McLaren contract, he and Ron are starting to fall out again. Oh dear. Saying that, I can see why he's frustrated given what they're expecting him to drive, it's been tough on him and Button this year, no one expected it to be this bad did they?

All in all a pretty dull race really in many ways, and then we go to Russia next , well that was wrist slittingly boring last year. I hope this year it at least rains or something to spice it up a little. :roll:
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:35 pm

Race: sunny day out of 10 (so, it's not utter write off)
Best Driver: MV and Hulk
Worst Driver: DR (him, Maldo and Gro several years ago could have been buddies), add Alonso as Mr. (in)sensitivity
Best Team: Would've voted Ferrari, but I question whether they mismanaged Vettel's pitstop, so - none of them
Best Overtake: Vettel at the start, Max had some kicks and pretty moves as well
Best Moment: Race was over (and only 5 more to go)
And the race in a sentence: token upgrade system failed, strategy group of F1 failed, software (network?) with Japanese race data failed
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:46 am

There is speculation floating on the web, that someone cut on TV coverage of certain cars that raced, as part of "punishment" by almighty in relationship to engines supply squabble. The thing is, Lauda claims Mercedes was not ever formally approached, and RB is already confrontational with Ferrari, even before any agreement was signed. Weird. On my part I can say to the almighty, if I am not permitted to see my favorite driver during a race, than what is a point watching?
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Sakae wrote:There is speculation floating on the web, that someone cut on TV coverage of certain cars that raced, as part of "punishment" by almighty in relationship to engines supply squabble. The thing is, Lauda claims Mercedes was not ever formally approached, and RB is already confrontational with Ferrari, even before any agreement was signed. Weird. On my part I can say to the almighty, if I am not permitted to see my favorite driver during a race, than what is a point watching?

Yes I read that Bernie 'punished' Mercedes by not showing their cars much during the race. If that is true it's petty, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Actually I thought it was nice to see the battles further down the field, how interesting is it to see a driver out front on his own and winning easily? Especially when it's the same driver who has done it race after race, yes I get that the fans of that driver want to see him but it does get a bit tedious.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:15 pm

Lyria wrote:
Sakae wrote:There is speculation floating on the web, that someone cut on TV coverage of certain cars that raced, as part of "punishment" by almighty in relationship to engines supply squabble. The thing is, Lauda claims Mercedes was not ever formally approached, and RB is already confrontational with Ferrari, even before any agreement was signed. Weird. On my part I can say to the almighty, if I am not permitted to see my favorite driver during a race, than what is a point watching?

Yes I read that Bernie 'punished' Mercedes by not showing their cars much during the race. If that is true it's petty, but it wouldn't be the first time.

Actually I thought it was nice to see the battles further down the field, how interesting is it to see a driver out front on his own and winning easily? Especially when it's the same driver who has done it race after race, yes I get that the fans of that driver want to see him but it does get a bit tedious.

Right you are, it is a balancing act, and nothing wrong to see action of a kind we saw in mid field, but on the other hand, I saw blip of red cars on couple of occasions only, and I cannot recall seeing Merc too much, if at all. Saw Rosberg being pushed off the track early on, but then I think it's all what I remember about that team. I will get probably hammered for it, but I think it is a good pay-back solution for some people who insists on monopolizing front end of the grid by preventing others to catch up, and I would add, if the organization if question doesn't like it, then leave. Under any other circumstances politicizing a race is almost certainly wrong.
Sakae

Postby Paolo 2 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Not the most amazing race at Suzuka, which is a pity as that track is IMHO one of the most interesting on the calendar

Hamilton - he settled the race and the champiosnhip at the second corner, after that it was plain sailing

Rosberg - when I started racing go karts one of the first things that I was taught was that every now and then a crash is good, it serves to proves to your peers that you mean business and that they have to respect you and take you seriously. I gather that Keke never had such a talk with Nico as IMHO yesterday he only had one honorable thing to do: he had to stay put and let Hamilton crash into him. He has already lost the WDC, all that was important was not giving in to his team mate. Blaming Hamilton for his behavior was pointless, Nico has to look after himself, being nice doesn't really work with either Hamilton or his bosses at Mercedes. The fact that he drove a sterling race means nothing since until he learns to inspire "fear" into Hamilton he's never going to win the WDC. And I perfectly remember what happened when he stood up for himself at Spa last year, but Nico doesn't need the money, if he's expected to play number 2 IMHO he should just show Hamilton and Mercedes what they can do with their tactics (as I'm 100% convinced that last year he had to let Hamilton win the WDC and this year it looks to me more of the same) and walk away. If he can persuade other teams that he means business he'll find another competitive car (maybe at McLaren?) otherwise when Mercedes will no longer need him they'll just show him the door

Vettel - I think that he had a very very solid race and I really liked his approach, and what I liked even more, and I'm sure that many at Maranello share my view, is that afterwards he was (genuinely) sorry for not having been able to keep Rosberg at bay with his banzai in-lap, I'm sure that he has won the heart and minds of many at Maranello

Raikkonen - correct me if I'm wrong but the guy was often 0.7 seconds per lap slower than his team mate. IMHO he would have never been able to pass Bottas on track

Bottas - better than some of his recent performances but still a long way to go to deserve a top team

Hulkenberg - I didn't really see much of him yesterday but he must have done something good for being up there

Grosjean/Maldonado - good for them that they managed to finish the race in the points

Vesrtappen - another great race for him, I don't particularly like him but he's good, whether he's as good as Alonso, Hamilton or Vettel I don't know (and I have a few doubts) but let's see what the future brings to young Max

Sainz - pity that he didn't get the best strategy, IMHO he's another very strong rookie

Alonso - I feel for the guy, he drove a sterling race, he showed that the chassis is good (his traction out of the chicane was brilliant, despite the fact that the Honda engine is notorious for its poor driveability) and IMHO he's right to vent his frustration. I don't buy the rumour that he's got issues with his team, he has always been very positive about the chassis, he's got issues with the engine and he's perfectly entitled to be upset as that engine is in performance terms a GP2 engine and not a F1 engine, IMHO it's as simple as that

Button - same as Alonso, and the fact that he vented his frustration as well IMHO just shows how bad things are at McLaren - Honda
Paolo 2

Previous

Return to Formula One Talk