ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2015 Singapore GP

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2015 Singapore GP

Postby Lawrence on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:51 pm

Lyria wrote:Hulkenberg has the penalty for the incident with Massa, I guess the stewards decided he was more at fault then.

Yea, I originally saw it as Massa's fault (as I think did the U.S. TV commentators). The Hulk was definitely ahead of Massa as Massa was in the pit lane area, but was behind Massa when they got to the corner. I gather from the post race interview that the Hulk thought it was his corner and it was probably too late to change his mind once Massa showed up there. It is a weird design that dumps the pit exit lane directly into the apex of the corner. Certainly the Hulk should not have been penalized for that accident.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:23 pm

It has never occurred to me that Hamilton was in this race for a podium, and deep down, I think he knew it. He might gotten ahead of Kimi on a pit stop, well, maybe, but under normal conditions that was all. I remain convinced that while PU was neutralized, Hamilton could not match Vettel, nor RB which seemed to own the track due to its topology and RB's aero/downforce combo. Best chance of this season for them, perhaps the only chance, and maybe their last chance for eternity, if the divorce goes through.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Incident - Initially I thought Hülkenberg could have been more evasive, while Massa was hitting brakes (late?), but after seeing replay, I tend to agree now that it was more suited into "weird racing incident" category, and Nico should not have been penalized. The only guilty parties are here track designer and FiA's approval of design.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Sakae wrote:It has never occurred to me that Hamilton was in this race for a podium, and deep down, I think he knew it.

He said in the post-race interview that he had a chance until the second safety car, and that matches with what I was seeing. He was conserving his tires and pacing himself, probably would have pitted later, and probably could have gotten around a couple of drivers as a result of running longer in the second stint. The second safety car ended that strategy. Whether he could have picked up the pace at the end of the race to run down Vettel is hard to say, but it would have made an otherwise processional race very interesting.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:26 pm

What else did you expect him to say, and if he thought that he could get through the RB, then I would argue, forget it, and land back on mother Earth.
Sakae

Postby Paolo 2 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:22 pm

I didn't enjoy the race, I find that track a joke, and a sad one for that matter, if it wasn't for the dark it would be horrible.

Vettel - great race, yesterday he did what he does best, he controlled the race from start to finish. He pushed (relentlessly) when he had to and kept a conservative pace when there was the odd chance of some sort of threat from Hamilton (Antonini dixit, IMHO Hamilton didn't stand a chance, even considering the fact that the Mercedes pit wall did the right thing in putting soft tyres during the first SC period). He's a hammer, Ricciardo didn't even try to pass him as he knew that it would have been impossible

Ricciardo - a mature and intelligent race from him, he knew what his car could achieve and he got him, I'm glad for him.

Raikkonen - he was consistently 0.7 seconds or thereabout slower than Vettel... I don't buy for a single second the theory that Vettel was trying to slow down Ricciardo so that Raikkonen could overtake him, come on guys do you really think that it's likely that Raikkonen can pass Ricciardo? Ricciardo would have his car dancing around Kimi's Ferrari any time he wants to.

Rosberg - not much that he could do, this time they were running a higher tyre pressure and so they had little traction and very slow under braking, it's as simple as that

Bottas - he finally managed to beat his team mate, oh hang on a second, his team mate didn't finish the race :rotflmao:

Kvyat - he was very unlucky yesterday, he deserved to be 3rd, pity that he lost some valuable time with his pit stops. I think that the guy drives very well

Perez - good for him, he kept Verstappen at bay notwithstanding the fact that his car was all over the place, I wonder is he's oing to invoice Verstappen's father for the private tuition in "racecraft" that he gave to Max

Vesrtappen - sure great to watch but I'm puzzled by the fact that we all talk about Verstappen and not about Sainz who is doing an equally brilliant job

Sainz - very good race for him

Hamilton - I don't believe that he had the pace to challenge Vettel, I guess that all the hype is down to the fact that his pit wall gave us something to cheer about when they put options during the first pit stop, it was just a punt, he might have overtaken Raikkonen (yes I know that's not saying much these days), but I still don't believe that he could have kept Vettel and Ricciardo behind even if he had managed to do a longer middle stint

Red Bull - ok so now we basically know without any reasonable doubt that their problem is the engine, the chassis looks quite tidy to me, once again they managed to run a set up, very rake, that no one else could manage

McLaren - we know that Honda's engine is crap, no doubt about it, and that the chassis is not bad, but not up to Red Bull's level

The stewards/FIA - they should all be sacked, not only we end up with a race in a dump like that (the track, not the city, parts of Singapore are brilliant, that track IMHO is not), not only they can't even stop a lunatic who wanted to take a selfie on track, but they placed the pit lane exit in the only place were it shouldn't have been and then handed out a penalty to Hulkenberg for reasons that are beyond my understanding (he was ahead of Massa and had nowhere else to go)
Paolo 2

Postby Sakae on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Not everyone is ignoring Sainz. I said this before, and I say this again, had my hand was on the choice, Sainz (or Nasr) would have been driving for Ferrari in 2016.
Sakae

Postby Willie Caja on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Paolo 2 wrote:I'm puzzled by the fact that we all talk about Verstappen and not about Sainz who is doing an equally brilliant job

Great PR team, F1 relevant father, strong backing. They sure knew how to exploit the "youngest F1 driver" thing to gain public's attention.
Also: I'm not sure Carlos will let Max pass again if ordered by the team. He said he let him pass in Monaco. Pretty sure it was the last time, after this race...

We'll have fun with these two in the future. :hungry:
"Okay Fernando, we are racing Massa behind to the end."
"I love your sense of humour!"
Willie Caja

Previous

Return to Formula One Talk