ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

2015 Russian Grand Prix

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: 2015 Russian Grand Prix

Postby Paolo 2 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:26 pm

Lawrence wrote:
I do think Kimi's move caught Bottas by surprise.

that's the real problem here, Bottas could have easily covered it had he suspected that Kimi was going to try. Regarding what Bottas could or couldn't see, IMHO if he saw some red to his right hand side that was more than enough since he perfectly knew that he had Kimi on his tail. I think that Kimi's move was optimistic (but I believe that he had to try something) whereas Bottas could have easily closed the door before Kimi made his move OR he could have kept a wider line once he realised that Kimi was charging on the inside (I fear that Kimi would have had a very slow turn in and therefore Bottas would have kept his position even had he left some room for Kimi). IMHO contact could have easily been avoided
Paolo 2

Postby Sakae on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:40 pm

Bottas admitted that he was aware of approaching Räikkönen, thus here we have not as much a case of someone looking into his rear mirrors, but combination of racecraft anticipation what following driver will do (Räikkönen passed him earlier on the same spot, the same way, according to his post race comments), and failed determination (to block him this time) compounded with inadequate spatial awarness. Bottas in his determination IMO miscalculated actual Ferrari's position, and got consequently tossed off the track, instead just giving up a position which he lost due to strange defense on his part.

This was an avoidable racing accident, which could have been a brilliant pass, that hasn't pan out, but only FiA can blame (only) Ferrari for it, whilst we have seen this year much worse Rambo style attempts judged differently.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Paolo 2 wrote:(I fear that Kimi would have had a very slow turn in and therefore Bottas would have kept his position even had he left some room for Kimi). IMHO contact could have easily been avoided

Well, one thing I have a hard time judging is how far Kimi would have continued past the apex if Bottas was not there. Would he have 1) stopped and been able to turn within one car width beyond the apex, or 2) continued half ways across the track, meaning Bottas would have had to given him a lot of room, or 3) would he have pretty much gone to the other side of the track, meaning the only way for Bottas to avoid was to leave the track?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Paolo 2 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:00 am

Lawrence wrote:
Paolo 2 wrote:(I fear that Kimi would have had a very slow turn in and therefore Bottas would have kept his position even had he left some room for Kimi). IMHO contact could have easily been avoided

Well, one thing I have a hard time judging is how far Kimi would have continued past the apex if Bottas was not there. Would he have 1) stopped and been able to turn within one car width beyond the apex, or 2) continued half ways across the track, meaning Bottas would have had to given him a lot of room, or 3) would he have pretty much gone to the other side of the track, meaning the only way for Bottas to avoid was to leave the track?

I'd say 1 is the correct answer
Paolo 2

Postby Lawrence on Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:05 pm

Paolo 2 wrote:I'd say 1 is the correct answer

If that is the case, then Bottas could have left space, made the corner and still be ahead of Kimi.

On the other hand, the stewards penalized Kimi, Bottas is apparently still very angry at him, and a lot of commentators have also been critical of his move.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Paolo 2 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:04 am

Lawrence wrote:
On the other hand, the stewards penalized Kimi, Bottas is apparently still very angry at him, and a lot of commentators have also been critical of his move.

regarding the commentators who have been critical of Kimi's move I know of Mika Hakkinen and Niki Lauda, the first is part of the management team of Bottas and the latter is the chairman of the team that provides engines to Bottas' team and is a colleague of the other guy who is managing Bottas. That's my problem with how some media tend to portrait Bottas, they quote day day out people who at the very least are in a very clear conflict of interest. I think that this is significantly harming Bottas' career. And the fact that the stewards took a very strong view on that incident when in the past the very situation has been regarded as a racing incident does help
Paolo 2

Postby Lawrence on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:33 pm

Well, obviously Mika has an agenda of promoting Bottas, and right now the attempted promotion is into Raikkonen's seat (is this all some bizarre Finnish soap opera we are watching). The TV commentary I am getting here in the U.S. primarily comes from David Hobbs (driver) and Steve Machett (mechanic). They are not really part of the F1 world any more (and for several years did not travel to the races because of budget). They came down pretty solidly on the side of Bottas. In the post race interview, it appears from words, tone and body language that Raikkonen was on the defensive and realized he had made a mistake. So yea, I rewatch the video, and there is clearly some question about Bottas' maneuver, but the optimistic pass attempt was initiated by Raikkonen.

Once we sort this one out...then let's resolve the Schumacher-Hill championship deciding crash of 1994. ;)
Lawrence

Previous

Return to Formula One Talk