ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Haas F1 potential drivers

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Haas F1 potential drivers

Postby Lawrence on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:26 pm

IanK wrote:
Given how the last attempted American team went that would already be an improvement.

Well, that one was truly weird. Still don't understand what went wrong. I gather they had a real ambitious plan and the money did not show up.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Latest, Jean-Eric Vergne is ahead of Esteban Gutierrez. Criteria stated implying, that Danika could be out of considerations, whether she cares, or not.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:36 pm

Hell, I would throw her into the car for the year just for the marketing value. It is not like Haas is going to winning next year.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:42 pm

But Steiner now says: “We are looking for two drivers with experience. As a new team, you don’t also want to be running a driving school. You need two drivers who already know what they’re doing,.”
Sakae

Postby f1datavis on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Lawrence wrote:Hell, I would throw her into the car for the year just for the marketing value. It is not like Haas is going to winning next year.

Unless she's out of a drive in Sprint Cup, I doubt she'd want it, and JEV would be much much cheaper. Plus, while I'd love to have some gender diversity on the grid, I'm not convinced of her speed, or is that too harsh? Having said that, NASCAR is likely more difficult than F1.
f1datavis

Postby Mach on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 pm

I imagine Haas will push for very short term contracts until he gets the drivers he wants
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby IanK on Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:27 am

f1datavis wrote: I'm not convinced of her speed, or is that too harsh?

You are far from being alone in thinking that. Honestly, if we took marketing potential and media awareness out of the equation and went purely on talent her career probably would have either stalled out in Indy Lights or she'd wash out of IndyCar after about a year.
f1datavis wrote:Alonso looking god-like right now.
IanK

Postby Lawrence on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:26 pm

f1datavis wrote:I'm not convinced of her speed, or is that too harsh?

Nope.... she has only won one race in her entire career, but can't argue about her marketing value.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:46 pm

I used to watch three cars in fight, Prost, Senna, and Schumacher's Benetton, yet I would be darn if I ever heard anyone got talking about any marketing value. We had tension, we had genuine competitive fight to watch, no time for marketing. The P1 end of a race was the best marketing there was.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:16 pm

Well, that is the front half of the field. The back half of the field is all about paying drivers, sponsors and marketing value. Even when Niki Lauda came out of the retirement in the early 1980s, he told Ron Dennis that over half of his salary was due to his marketing value.

The reality in F1 is that money doesn't talk....it swears !!!
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:03 pm

Danica will not drive in F1. Not only she would risk turning lights off from where she is now, but she would have to work, and work hard. I read Vettel's comments how much a team taxing their time, and it is not as easy and glamorous as many think. Meeting with engineers, simulator, gym, sponsors, travel, etc. Daily! Danica actually reminds me of Hamilton. She is an advertising spokeswoman, model, driver, and she has her entourage around her. She can forget most of that in F1; she would lose her US based mental support, and my guess is, she would not like it, and her racing focus could be affected. She is over 30 and has enough money not to be desperate.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:38 pm

I don't recall anyone ever questioning her work effort. I think she is pretty damn serious about her trade. She did drop out of high school at 16 and raced in England for three years. Of course, the problem is results. In 115 Indy Car races she has only 1 win and 3 poles. In 161 different NASCAR races she has no wins and 2 poles.

On the other hand, Montoya, who won 7 grand prixs and 13 poles in 94 starts, ran 278 NASCAR races with only 2 wins and 9 poles.

Anyhow, she is good for marketing. It would certainly raise the profile of F1 in the U.S. (where it is still pretty damn invisible).
Lawrence

Previous

Return to Formula One Talk