ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Renault F1

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Renault F1

Postby Sakae on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:19 pm

Bob Bell, for some time considered as a most likely candidate to lead a team - Renault F1 after buy-out, has signed as tech. consultant with Manor. What does that mean then?
I think this move could be interpreted several ways, namely, he has not received an offer to join French automakler, or, Renault is not buying any team in near future, i.e., 2016 entry.
I heard, but did not pay much attention to it, some rumors, that Carlos Ghoson demanded from the racing division to sort out engine issues first, before anyone actually start talking to him about emulating Mercedes, and buying a team. Hard to say what's in the pipeline. On speculative side, there are two other names linked with potentially leading Renault project, Alain Prost was one, and Cyril Abiteboul the other one. Anybody wants to take a shot at it?
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Re: Renault F1

Postby Lyria on Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:20 pm

I read about Bob Bell going to Marussia as well.

Hmm maybe they will hire Alain Prost, he ran his own team before and that didn't go so well did it? They didn't last long but maybe he has more experience this time around if they do hire him. I still don't think Renault will buy Lotus, I still think Toro Rosso would be a better fit for them.
Lyria

Postby Mach on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:06 pm

I find it strange....Bob Bell going to Manor
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:35 pm

Alain got black eye on that deal, but there were these Peugeot engines...
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:38 pm

I am guessing Renault decided not to buy a team yet. They may next year, but there is no hurry. Lotus is not going anywhere and they probably have a contract they cannot break for Mercedes engines.

Anyhow, would be nice if Manor actually got a little faster. I still want 14-15 real teams.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Mach on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:24 pm

I guess Bob Bell signed with Manor to be in touch with new technology.
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 pm

It may not be as big as it looks. I do not of course possess any inside on this, but based on job description as "a consultant", it seems the role is probably temporary, and short lived. He might not be even necessarily on premises every day. This could be either because limits on money they can pay him, or deliberate on his side to preserve his flexibility to redirect potentially his interest elsewhere on short notice, without being tied down by a long employment contract.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:20 pm

Well, he is a very talented individual with valuable knowledge to harvest :tophat:
Mach

Postby Sakae on Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:54 am

thisisF1
Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport reports that Renault officials met in Monaco with Matthew Carter, the Lotus team chief executive, about buying back Enstone.

But the report also said Renault chairman Carlos Ghosn was trackside in Monte Carlo, where he joined a representative of French oil partner Total in a meeting with Bernie Ecclestone.

“It is clear that Renault wants to return to being its own team,” said correspondent Michael Schmidt.

This (potential purchase of Marussia/Manor) is something I have not expected. Left field surprise.
Sakae

Postby Paolo 2 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:08 am

Lawrence wrote:I am guessing Renault decided not to buy a team yet. They may next year, but there is no hurry. Lotus is not going anywhere and they probably have a contract they cannot break for Mercedes engines.

I agree with you, I don't think that Lopez could sell, at this stage, to Renault, I'm sure that they have a clause in that engine supply agreement that prevents such a sale while the supply agreement is still running
Paolo 2

Postby Lyria on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:10 pm

If Renault are looking to buy Manor they'd get a much better bargain. It would make sense for them to pick up a cheaper smaller team and build it into what they want. See Lotus have the Mercedes engine, that has to be a stumbling block. They had a look at Toro Rosso but that didn't seem to happen either. Manor are desperate for money, they have a team and an F1 entry with a certain amount of funding, that makes them a better option than starting from scratch for Renault I would say. No one expects much of them right now either, so to me it makes sense.

There's even a story about it on the main site that makes it sound promising too.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31004.html
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Situation is really fuzzy from my armchair; I thought that Manor is McLaren's B-team (they do share allegedly limited technical partnership). Toro Rosso and Force India aren't worth much as they lack the facilities, such as wind tunnel, driver simulator, dyno, etc.These teams have been sourcing the complete drive train from other teams, and lack certain essential technical expertise in support of future developments. Renault would have to invest heavily in either of these teams, thus Lotus or Sauber perhaps make more sense for full take over, even if it is only next time around.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:10 pm

There appears to be PROS and CONS with each potential team purchase for Renault. Regarding B.Bell, maybe he's reviewing whether Manor is a viable purchase for Renault.

Just wondering if the possible return of Michelin tyres has any influence with HOW Renault moving forward?
Mach

Postby Sakae on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:15 pm

I don't always agree with Noble (actually more nay than yay), but with this one he is on right side of the issue, methinks.
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/527677/Renault_We_cannot_just_be_engine_suppliers/

Danger is, unless there is a change in regulations on the engine side, and they can fix their problems, they will leave, because letting FiA, FOM, and Mercedes to lock them for good in a bad deal (problematic PU unit) is no option for them worth considering.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:22 pm

A man at the helm - Ghoson - we will decide soon about our future

- we are going to go full in as team-owners, or
- we are going to pull out of the F1 (very committed on E-side)
- less likely stay as an engine supplier only

https://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/renaults-f1-future-governance-ghosn-170518136--f1.html
Sakae

Next

Return to Formula One Talk