ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Bye bye Kimi?

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Bye bye Kimi?

Postby Lawrence on Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:23 pm

I think he is gone and Bottas is in. We shall see.

Nasr to Williams is a good move. He has been really impressive this year.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Mach on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:42 am

I say......Kimi drives Ferrari in 2016 :|
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:17 am

I do not understand logic of this all. What is anyone going to learn new about a driver in next three races before a decision is made, which they couldn't learn in past 8 or 9? Delay on the announcement has most likely a different dimension, than just Kimi's driving.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:21 pm

Friday, July 31 is a decision day for some people regarding options...

Frankly speaking, I would not be surprised if Kimi stays. His (bad) luck resembles Seb's 2014 year, and he is still good for another one or two years. With exception of Hulk who might be available, I am not to keen on Bottas. 2016 looks bland right now.

TR guys would be a hit, of that I am sure.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Odds for balance of the season is difficult to figure out, but historical performance/luck: (number denotes career wins)

BEL: Kimi 4, Seb 2
ITA: Kimi 0, Seb 3
SING: Kimi 0, Seb 3
JAP: Kimi 1, Seb 4
RUS: Kimi 0, Seb 0
USA: Kimi 0, Seb 1
MEX: -
BRA: Kimi 1, Seb 2
AD: Kimi 1, Seb 3

This may or may not mean anything, but since both guys had rather forgetful 2014, being both unhappy with their cars, score is suggestive it is going to be one sided, altho, Seb always had miserable time in Hungary, and he turned around in 2015 (with some help from Mercedes), so, who knows how this second half of the season will pan out. There are some promises for ITA, but I want to see it first. Kimi got a lot of (good) patting on the shoulder after the last race.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:42 am

Well, I was not impressed with Kimi's drive at Hungary. Certainly competent, but nothing that screamed that this guy is a world champion. I think he will be replaced by Bottas for 2016, and I really don't blame Ferrari for that.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:37 am

Increasingly Bottas looks very mediocre, thus I am in doubt he is worth money Williams is asking for his release. I would never paid that, but luckily that's not my decision, nor my cash. I am merely hoping Ferrari will not shoot themselves into a foot, getting just a journeyman, and rather wait for a better driver on the market. Kimi is not known to have big mouth like some other fellow drivers, he is a modest man which seems behavioural detriment to some cultures, but he has more speed in him as proven already, as most of the field in hand. I don't think he is as bad as some trying to portray him as such.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:49 am

Code: Select all
                       Vettel               Raikkonen
Points                 160                  76
Wins                   2                    0
Race battle            8                    2
Race battle (w/o DNF)  5                    2
Quali battle           8                    2
Fastest lap            0                    2
Podiums                7                    1
Front row              2                    0
Laps lead              115                  10
Best race result       1                    2
Best quali result      2                    3
Laps complete          633                  529
Position change Lap 1  +3                   +3
Pos change overall     +17                  +9
Worst race position    20                   18
Best race position     1                    1
Average race position  4.84                 5.94
Average starting pos   4.5                  7
Average quali gap              -0.561s

Courtesy of Marklar (another fellow forumer).

Why is it here? This week option on Kimi's services expire, but his chances for staying another year aren't totally lost, according to some sources. Stats are one aspect of his performance management will most likely talk about.
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:36 pm

Well now Ferrari are tipped to be keeping Kimi after all. We'll only know for sure of course when an announcement is made.

Full story: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns31561.html
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:41 pm

Well, the significant statement in that article was that Williams and Ferrari have agreed to a buy-out price for Bottas.
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:09 pm

The BBC journalist Andrew Benson has just posted on twitter that Ferrari have announced they are keeping Kimi Raikkonen for 2016. So the rest of the driver market can now be sorted out. Seems like Bottas will most likely be staying at Williams after all then.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:55 pm

Good catch Lyria. I see this on the internet as well. This explains why Kimi was so relaxed yesterday. Good for Ferrari to cut through the chase, and focus what's really important - P2 in 2015 WCC. I thought announcement will be at Monza, but why hold back. Kimi can now race Seb with mind in the clear.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Kimi saved for another year. I wonder how much was that based on his improved form (which did not look that much improved) and how much was based upon a lack of really obvious choice to replace him. Suspect they will hold him on a one year contract and look at the market for 2017.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:40 pm

There is no better replacement available which could be signed without doubts for more than a year. I thought Sainz and Hülkenberg are still without contract, but obviously Ferrari has other thoughts. Forget Bottas and money demanded for his services. Fun begins when "Silly season 2017" kicks in.

Allison is a big defender of Kimi, and his comment was, that there is no difference between Seb and Kimi in terms of speed. I guess taking account some equipment issues, and candidates they did not like, result if now clear. Let's wait and see next year. I do suspect they talked to some people already for 2017, so preliminaries (A Letter of Intent) are done, methinks.

Haas probably will make their decision internally this week as well.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:06 am

Kimi Raikkonen's problem has never been speed. He actually has the second highest number of fastest laps of any who has ever run F1 (only Schumacher has more, and Prost one less). That is 42 fastest laps. Hamilton and Vettel only has 24, Alonso 21 and Senna 19! With 20 wins, 16 poles and a mind-numbing 42 fastest laps, his problems lie someplace other than his speed.
Lawrence

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk