ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

F1 Fan Survey

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

F1 Fan Survey

Postby Lyria on Thu May 21, 2015 4:06 pm

The GPDA has put out it's fan survey all about F1. It's quite long, it does take a fair while to fill in, but I have completed my answers. Whether what they learn will do any good is another matter but I hope it will. I suppose it's something they're even asking our opinions at all.

Anyway, here's the link to the survey: http://gpda.motorsport.com/

If you're a fan of the sport at all, I say go and fill it in, let them know what you love or hate about the sport we all watch and spend so much time here talking about. 8)
Lyria

Re: F1 Fan Survey

Postby pob on Fri May 22, 2015 6:38 am

The F1 mags have also done their own version here :evil:
It's got a few controversial questions like: "do you think Bernie Ecclestone should continue to run the sport?"; "do you think Jean Todt is an effective FIA president?"; "do you think F1 benefits from having car manufacturers competing in the sport?"; "would you stop watching if Red Bull quit?"; "would you stop watching if Ferrari quit?".
Why aren't you playing for grandprix in the interforum league?
pob

Postby Sakae on Fri May 22, 2015 7:21 am

And herein lies a problem with surveys such as this one. Questions pob posted are impossible to answer with any degree of accuracy, and black and white answers merely distort reality even further. Nothing in life is black and white, and people occasionally do whatever displeases us, because they are driven by circumstances not of their own making, which is why I shy away from irrational behavior such as surveys (and gambling) represents.
As a way of one small example what I mean - take question about Todt. Like him or loath him, fact is, he didn't start with a clean sheet of paper, but inherited an organization riddled by the luggage from past, and he couldn't really fired everyone just because they were loyal to previous FiA president, just as remove at once dubious perks individuals in charge received over years. Having said that, I have no doubt that not all what Todt have done was right and perfect, but question is, whether he has performed best anyone could in his situation, or could he do better? Problem is, no one (thinking person) can answer that. I for one think that Todt's greatest contribution to F1 during his tenure was ability to stay out of headlines and court rooms day-in, day-out. How can a survey reflect that?
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Fri May 22, 2015 11:58 am

Yea, I wasn't too impressed with the GPDA survey. Spent a lot of time answering life and habits questions and not a lot of time addressing the issues with F1. Took longer than a fan survey should. Somebody did not think this through very clearly (and yes, I have designed surveys).

Missing a chance for comments, which is often the most interesting part of these surveys.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Fri May 22, 2015 12:31 pm

Well I've filled both surveys in now, whether it will do any good is open to question of course.
Lyria

Postby Mach on Fri May 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Survey organised by CVC is the one worth answering to :\
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Fri May 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Mach wrote:Survey organised by CVC is the one worth answering to :\

CVC suddenly need an input how to run their business? That's a new one. There are other surveys and analyses prepared in secrecy for stakeholders in F1, and anyone, should be lucky enough to actually get legally hands on a copy, first must handsomely pay for that privilege. That's a "survey" that counts.

I don't have a copy, but I know such studies do exists, and they are available in limited numbers. I saw roughly list of topics covered within. It's prepared for benefit and use by shareholders, team's owners, promoters, networks, CVC, FOM, FiA, etc.
Sakae

Postby f1datavis on Fri May 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Sakae wrote:And herein lies a problem with surveys such as this one. Questions pob posted are impossible to answer with any degree of accuracy, and black and white answers merely distort reality even further. Nothing in life is black and white, and people occasionally do whatever displeases us, because they are driven by circumstances not of their own making, which is why I shy away from irrational behavior such as surveys (and gambling) represents.
As a way of one small example what I mean - take question about Todt. Like him or loath him, fact is, he didn't start with a clean sheet of paper, but inherited an organization riddled by the luggage from past, and he couldn't really fired everyone just because they were loyal to previous FiA president, just as remove at once dubious perks individuals in charge received over years. Having said that, I have no doubt that not all what Todt have done was right and perfect, but question is, whether he has performed best anyone could in his situation, or could he do better? Problem is, no one (thinking person) can answer that. I for one think that Todt's greatest contribution to F1 during his tenure was ability to stay out of headlines and court rooms day-in, day-out. How can a survey reflect that?

To be fair, these surveys do not try for black \ white, yes \ no answers. They instead ask each person to rate strength of feeling. Aggregating this across thousands of responses provides very good statistical outcomes on how people feel, which is useful info, no?

I agree with Lawrence that the design was a bit weird.
f1datavis

Postby Mach on Fri May 22, 2015 11:24 pm

Sakae wrote:
Mach wrote:Survey organised by CVC is the one worth answering to :\

CVC suddenly need an input how to run their business? That's a new one. There are other surveys and analyses prepared in secrecy for stakeholders in F1, and anyone, should be lucky enough to actually get legally hands on a copy, first must handsomely pay for that privilege. That's a "survey" that counts.

I don't have a copy, but I know such studies do exists, and they are available in limited numbers. I saw roughly list of topics covered within. It's prepared for benefit and use by shareholders, team's owners, promoters, networks, CVC, FOM, FiA, etc.

Once again we see your initial reaction to my post is confusion. :roll:
GPDA can run all the surveys they want...accurate to a confidence level of 99.9%
Who's going to pay for the changes? GPDA or CVC?
The GPDA survey is useless without the backing of CVC to pay for changes.
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Lawrence on Sat May 23, 2015 2:03 am

Took the Vogue surgery. Liked it a lot better.

The surveys are useful in that they are providing some input, that people will then use to beat Bernie/Todt/CVC over the head. They probably could all stand a good beating (there is a Max joke in there somewhere). But more to the point, people are now actually seriously talking about what needs to be changed to improve F1. That is a start. Like all changes, some will be for the better, some will be for the worse, but clearly there needs to be some changes. No one appears to be happy with the current F1.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Lyria on Sat May 23, 2015 5:49 am

The point is at least they've realised something needs to be done about F1, that it's broken or at least not in as good shape as it should be. If they can make it better then that can only be a good thing, I am guessing they can't actually make it worse, can they? :roll:
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Sat May 23, 2015 7:29 am

Well, may internet friends, no one is happy is of course more of literally value, than a statement of facts. My fear is, that CVC is happy with a goose laying golden eggs, and any survey will serve them on planning defensive strategy, rather than constructive changes, rocking the boat. Moreover, I should find excerpt from one recent interview, in which Smedley of Williams was defending current state of F1 - if I recall what I have taken from that was - all is fine, nothing needs to be changed, and there will be always some people who do not like something.

What bothered me, that this guy, despite him being so far apart from voices of majority, actually has a voice of influence on direction F1 is heading. Perfect reason why I think we need new blood at the commercial helm, new blood at the regulatory race control, and a new, one page long and common CA.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sat May 23, 2015 2:20 pm

Lyria wrote:I am guessing they can't actually make it worse, can they? :roll:

Well, they are kind of at a crossroads..... so they could indeed send it down the wrong path. Read Kaltenborn's comments (Sauber). One could see an F1 consisting of 4 major teams and the rest being also rans in customer cars. Nothing like an oligarchy to look after the interests of the people.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sat May 23, 2015 4:23 pm

...you let land owners, energy companies, bankers and insurance lot to look after interest of people... :reallyevil:

Mercedes is on the record they are willing to supply factory version of the car, so in theory there should not be a problem, yet there is one, and huge one.

Unpacking freshly delivered a factory car is a start, but what will inevitably follow shall probably negate original intent. Further developments run independently by customers and suppliers will not run on parallel tracks, and results will be inevitably disappointing, methinks. Point here is, that the customer must run their development in timely fashion, otherwise what's left? 10 cars competing and another 10 cars playing defense?

I am not entirely clear as to what illness a customer car suppose to cure, but I am not seeing any light end of any of numerous tunnels whilst choosing that path. Either we have two tiers series based on finances (resources), or tore up existing papers, and re-do a business plan and CA.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sat May 23, 2015 9:45 pm

I am not sure it is to cure an illness so much as it will help the wealthiest teams defray some off their costs. Might make F1 more affordable for some of the poorer teams, but not the ones that want to eventually develop into race winners.

I am not sold on the idea.
Lawrence

Next

Return to Formula One Talk