ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Silly season 2016

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Silly season 2016

Postby Sakae on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:10 pm

motorsport.com
Magnussen Q&A: McLaren split was on my birthday via email
(from RD's secretary)

McLaren at its best? Probably so.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Well, Magnussen was decent, but clearly not as good as Alonso or Button (or Perez), so it is understandable that he got squeezed out. After Button leaves, I could think of almost a dozen other probably available drivers I would pick over Magnussen (Perez, Vandoorne, DR, Kvyat, Verstappen, Sainz, Bottas, Nasr, Grosjean, Hulkenberg and even Kobayashi). Magnussen had his one year to shine and simply did not shine bright enough. Unfortunate for him, but it is a highly desirable seat.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:56 pm

Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:24 am

I think I (and several others) have already stated that Ferrari probably hired him for 2016 for only a year because they want to grab one of this new wave of great drivers coming up, who all look to be as good or better than Bottas. So Verstappen to Ferrari in 2017 does not surprise me.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:18 am

Several others would include probably me as well, which is actually true. I would be not surprised if papa Verstappen keeps interested parties updated about level of interest regarding his son, just to be sure that price is right, or better. Latest morning prognosis on RBR and TR saga is, that no one is going anywhere, thus MV stays with TR for another year. We will see if in another 8 hrs we get different forecast.
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:35 am

The Haas team have finally announced the worst kept secret in F1, they've put Esteban Gutierrez in as team mate to Grosjean. None of saw that one coming did we? :roll:
Lyria

Postby Lawrence on Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Gutierrez had some speed but was not very consistent. We shall see how he compares to Grosjean.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:37 am

Max Verstappen’s father has ended any uncertainty about the future, revealing the 18-year-old will once again race for Toro Rosso in 2016.
En savoir plus sur http://www.thisisf1.com/2015/11/15/fath ... tyvJcW1.99
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:22 pm

Ghoson is not exactly confirming Renault drivers as yet.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:15 am

Yea, I thought that was interesting. Do the driver contracts Lotus signed provide any obligation to Renault, or are they now null-and-void? Given a blank sheet, some budget and some long term prospects as a team (after all...it is Renault)...who would be the best two options of the drivers available (not under contract or under a contract that could be bought out)?
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:59 am

I do not know what driver's contract say, especially when chances of changing hands or going bust was quite real. One would hope any such concerns were addressed. Ghoson wants, and rightly so, a French seat with Renault. It's French investment, thus it should be their choice.
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:06 am

Sakae wrote:I do not know what driver's contract say, especially when chances of changing hands or going bust was quite real. One would hope any such concerns were addressed. Ghoson wants, and rightly so, a French seat with Renault. It's French investment, thus it should be their choice.

That puts Vergne in a strong position I'd say. Looks like Grosjean jumped to Haas too early, I wonder if he's now regretting that. Other than that maybe they'd look at some newcomers or stick with Palmer but still let Crashtor Maldonado go, they reckon it could be three years before they're fully competitive so they need solid drivers who can give good feedback, or a newer driver who will have time to bed in with the team and grow with them.
Lyria

Postby Sakae on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:31 am

Vergne, Nico Prost, Esteban Ocon, to name a few. Those are all good French guys, but pushed back for some dark reasons in this series. Ocon might give MV run for his money IMO, given a chance. Sainz can too, but has been unfairly, again IMHO, overlooked, considering how much trouble he had with his car this year. MV is collecting trophies like there is no tomorrow, but in reality he is yet to prove on long run that he is so much better than Sainz (or Nasr). MV was quite impressive, don't get me wrong, that cannot be disputed, but somehow his escapades on the track overshadowed misfortunes of his contemporaries, which prevented them to shine just as much as Max. Mine is merely an idle watercooler-type talk, nothing much more, of course, with no data, no analysis, just plain fun.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:10 am

I guess I didn't notice it before, but Rosberg has a contract only for 2016, while Hamilton has one for the next three years. This may be significant.
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Neither Räikkönen nor Rosberg have their respective contracts for the 2017 season. There could be some domino effect ahead.
Sakae

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk