ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Engine War 2015

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: Engine War 2015

Postby Sakae on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:22 pm

Alonso has been also quoted that they do require in 2016 about 2.5 sec/lap improvement on car speed to match Mercedes.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:26 pm

Lawrence wrote:More like 0.1 seconds. That was not encouraging.
Yes, my mistake misreading my source. 0.1 it is, and I am not sure how that reading was obtained considering margin of errors in the process.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Yea, I was hoping to see Honda take a big step forward so we could real banger of a 2016 season. I think Ferrari and Mercedes will be close, and hopefully closer, but I would like to see a third team in the mix. I prefer seasons with 3+ teams in the running, as opposed to what it usually is.

Looks like Red Bull would be better of staying with Renault than switching to Honda.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:44 am

I think we are on threshold of Civil War, F1 style, over directions taken on the engine side. Without getting into fingerpointing on point of origin of which current situation developed, I am not entirely clear why anyone, be it FOM or FiA specifically thinks, that Ferrari should subsidize engine clients. Maybe CVC could be a better party to assis in that regard.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Well, they are trying to control the cost one item at a time, which I think is the most difficult way to do it. Of course, Ferrari would likely veto any cost cap either (and voted against it). Anyhow, maybe the EU investigation will also put an end to the Ferrari veto power, which is certainly not fair in a sporting series.

On the other hand, you can't have an engine that is sold for less than it costs to make it. So, I understand why Ferrari objected.

Anyhow, as best as I can read the tea leaves, right now we have the same engine regulations for 2016 (with 32 tokens that can used throughout the year). In 2017 the engine regulations can change, but it appears they are going to stay with the current 1.6 liter engines and add a less expensive 2.2 liter V-6 that is almost as good.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:35 pm

With all fairness to Ferrari, because they, and only they among all teams have a such veto power, whereas the others (lucky them) do not have to bother then, and look bad at the same time, despite that none of those four suppliers want anything different than Scuderia. Maranello is taking merely a bullet for the other three. What I find interesting, that they all, teams, FiA, and FOM knew that veto will be deployed, since MA went public with their position ahead of the vote, yet FiA and FOM went with the proposal ahead anyway, making Ferrari a bad guy of the F1, and media swallowed, sinker, line and hook together.
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Well, I suspect FIA would have been hard pressed to get anyone to make an engine for another team for a loss, regardless of what rule they passed.

They still appear to be in the mode of finding more Band-Aids to address the problems at hand, instead of coming up with a cohesive solution. With FOM and FIA having different visions of the sport, every solution now seems to be some bizarre compromise (we will have both new technology engines and old-style engines...and the new technology engines cost-controlled by limiting development, and the old-style engines cost controlled by a FIA assigned sell price).
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:40 am

Since of course we all speak French, a language of diplomats, here is little bit of light reading: what Cyril thinks
http://www.lemonde.fr/formule-1/article/2015/11/29/cyril-abiteboul-la-f1-est-une-terre-de-chantage-absolu_4819983_1616771.html
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:04 pm

There is a cryptic headline on the internet, featuring Horner, who thinks that RD is not going to be happy when he will learn what engine will power RBR next year(?). So, where this leaves us? RBR + unbadged Renault in 2016, and RBR with Honda in 2017?
Sakae

Postby Mach on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:08 pm

Yeah....sounds like Horner has some interesting news to deliver.

BTW, we need to rename this threads title to Engine War 2016 :reallyevil:
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:50 pm

Mach wrote:Yeah....sounds like Horner has some interesting news to deliver.

This is rather turning into everybody against everybody else war, methinks.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:35 am

Sakae wrote:
Mach wrote:Yeah....sounds like Horner has some interesting news to deliver.

This is rather turning into everybody against everybody else war, methinks.
No...no....nooooo :roll:
Everyone's against Bernie, Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault and/or Pirelli :vettel:
Oh...and....errrr...yeah, Hamilton hates Nico and Rosberg hates Lewis :vettel:
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Technical changes

The FIA also approved a relaxation of the number of tokens engine manufacturers can use over the next few years, starting with 32 for next year and dropping to 25 for 2017.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:15 am

Noble
Red Bull will be powered by TAG Heuer badged Renault engines next season, the Milton Keynes-based team confirmed on Friday.

End of suspence.
Sakae

Postby Lyria on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:09 pm

Yes, so Red Bull will run Renault engines just branded with another name, and Toro Rosso will run the Ferrari engine. Which will be faster though? I have a feeling it could easily be the Ferrari engine.
Lyria

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk