ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

F1 Perspectives

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: F1 Perspectives

Postby Sakae on Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:23 pm

Mach wrote:
Sakae wrote:Interesting and somewhat fighting talk in this:
http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/12/22/ecclestone-mercedes-and-ferrari-joined-at-the-hip-like-siamese-twins/

In a political arena this is called (I think) letting out baloons with aim to calibrate various responses in advance of the real thing. Accusing indirectly Ferrari and Mercedes from collaborating (conspiring?) with aim to manipulate F1 regulatory agrements is IMHO a serious one.

Jan 15 cannot come soon enough, a date when teams are suppose to reveal their cost saving proposals. I am surprised however over jest of the claim, that 2 teams, having 2 voices out of 18 in total are solely responsible for current situation. Well, maybe not surprised by sheer audacity of it, but that others let FOM away with this rhetoric.
I expect Ferrari, Mercedes, Honda and Renault to share the same obvious view point to protect their interests as engine manufacturers. None of the aforementioned teams will race with a Cosworth spec engine.
Rest assured, the conflict isn't Ferrari & Mercedes versus FIA or FOM for that matter. The conflict is Big budget teams commercial gains Vs Little budget teams commercial gains :tophat:
With some minor exception, I do agree with you, Mach, but problem is, economics of research, development, and production was based on more customers than just servicing two cars. Than optics, etc. Too many imbalances in that mix. If hybrids go, so is Honda, as much they already admitted.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Mach on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:01 am

No exceptions, no problems....no wrinkles. Economics of research, development, and production are the cost of doing business for both Big budget and Little budget teams regardless of their product/service offerings to the F1 market specifically or the general public as a whole. I expect Big budget teams to protect their interests as engine manufacturers to maintain their market share....even at the expense of the smaller F1 minnows.
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:37 am

Pretty much accurate, and pragmatic point of view by EB, IMO. Cost-down regulatory changes are one of the principal causes of boredom in F1. If you cannot afford it, don't come is very much a solution!

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-formula-1-costs-needs-a-rethink-665162/

Add.
Perhaps related comments:
Newey has been linked with various projects in recent times, including sportscar racing, as he has grown disillusioned with the design limitations of the current Grand Prix rulebook. .."I think actually LMP1 is really interesting because it has far more technical freedom on the chassis side than F1 does.

Marchionne
"I perfectly understand the problems that other teams may have but this is something FOM has to commit to solving."

...my reading - but not at the expenses of other teams.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:45 pm

Ecclestone's darling speaks up:
F1 bosses 'don't know what they're trying to solve' - Hamilton

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/550604/F1_bosses_dont_know_what_theyre_trying_to_solve__Hamilton/

I do of course realize that sometimes even he can get it right, and hit centre of a dart wheel. Aero changes proposal is a project led by RBR (Newey) under sponsorship of FiA. To be fair, like with Tilke, his hands are tied by cost-down regulations, and result therefore might not really represent all what he would like to do.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:35 pm

Yep, Mosley pretty much gifted the championship to Button/Brawn...with them winning the first 6 out of 7 races of the season.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:44 am

Sakae

Postby Sakae on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:16 am

Whilst media do speculate on many issues, and despite my understanding it may require some processing time, I find strange that we hear nothing regarding engine manufacturer's recommendations how to address issues of concern to FiA and FOM which was due on Jan 15th. All what I've found was one modest note quoting Mr. Todt, that engines related solution is very near. Makes me wonder if it is actually of interest to FOM to publish all efforts by manufacturers which he might later reject without explanation, leaving us guessing as to reasons behind it. (We also know that FiA was in touch with them every day over hollidays).

Conflict is not going away, and the only question remains, how bad is it? RBR is not going to stop complaining even if engines will be handed over to them free of charge, and every Dick and Harry will continue accusing engine manufacturers of giving them inferior engines as soon as they loose a race. RBR made clear that they decided to stay in F1 on pretext that Ecclestone will give them V8. What shall follow, if he will not deliver as promised, remains to be seen.
Sakae

Postby pob on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:08 pm

Sakae wrote:I find strange that we hear nothing regarding engine manufacturer's recommendations how to address issues of concern to FiA and FOM which was due on Jan 15th.

It will break in the news fully tomorrow. Rumours are they haven't thought up anything good :yaynot: .
Why aren't you playing for grandprix in the interforum league?
pob

Postby Sakae on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:53 am

Following article, assuming quotes are contextually correct, exhibits transparently conflicts and diametrically opposing thinking which perhaps on large scale could be a large problem than demonstrated in this case. Subject is potential return to refueling. Car salesman (Ecclestone) and a lawyer (SM) are pitted against an engineer (Symonds). Unfortunately, whilst Symonds was specific of his reasons for not favoring refueling in F1 during a race, I have not been able to find as to reasons why would Symonds be incorrect in his views, and what benefits those two have discovered which outweight stated negatives.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/01/18/is-the-return-of-formula-1-refueling-a-good-idea/
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:53 am

Cheaper engines, everyone will have one...(2018?) Problem solved then?
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:50 pm

Best compromise they could come up with. In the end, Ecclestone has a different vision than Todt, which is different than the rich teams with engines, which is different than the rich team without an engine, and is different than the poorer teams. I gather the deal was settled when Todt worked with the teams, leaving Ecclestone the odd man out.

In the end, it does appear that the new power units are here to stay for the next 5 or 6 years and we are not going back.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Odd men out is not only Ecclestone, but Horner&Co as well. They apparently managed to paint themselves into a corner on PR side more than once in a single year [Renault, V8 condition for stay], and now, what's next for them other than, put it mildly, PUSU?
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:35 pm

This may happen: https://www.yahoo.com/autos/formula-1-drivers-call-closed-cockpits-name-safety-143043085.html

Actually, I always wondered if Formula One cars should not be full bodied with the wheels enclosed. This would certainly improve safety (would have kept Senna alive), and I always felt full-bodied cars looked better than open-wheeled cars (and have more advertising space).
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:22 am

Closed cockpit may potentially give birth new type of incidents due to diminished lateral visibility for the driver, or increased exposure to debris on direct impact. Admittedly full enclosure would have most likely protected from harm Massa, however doubtfully Bianchi. Racing (and driving) is risky endeavor, and that aspect will remain so, as soon as cars start rolling on the surface of tarmac. Not all drivers are in favor of this safety initiative.
Sakae

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk