ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

FiA & F1

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Re: FiA & F1

Postby Mach on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:02 pm

Races should be better now that Caterham and Marussia are no longer on the grid. They were always seeing blue flags throughout the race anyhow.

Are we really going to miss them?

:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Lawrence on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:48 pm

Mach wrote:Are we really going to miss them? :clint:

I miss 1989 when there were 21 teams.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Sakae on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:58 am

Lawrence wrote:

What aspect had appeal to you, which you don't have today, except the obvious, crowded track? I am curious, because NASCAR tracks do leave me empty and without excitement (experienced this in person once at Brickyard 400 inaugural race).
At home F1-camera stays in vast cases focused on a cluster of interest (mostly to the director), thus I find impossible to follow usually more than one or two cars closely, and no more than five or six cars in total. Admittedly this narrow point of view could be rooted in way how I follow a race, because monitoring of visual TV screen shots and sector data on my device keeps me busy for duration. Vast majority of other drives leaves me cold, unless occasionally someone pops up, like Bottas, who often quietly, and without the usual fanfares (surrounding couple of other drivers) makes good impression, and rises my interest. Can't imagine 42 cars, infinite number of blue and yellow flags, and everything else such crowd generates, including turbulent fluidity of the race.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Mach on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:53 pm

Lawrence wrote:

I miss all the noise those cars used to make back then. I also miss the drivers characters too. Heck even Ron Dennis was chasing his drivers around with buckets of water.

"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Sakae on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:34 am

Audi to F1 in 2016 rumor talk is on, as just about every year, but this time big way. I assume its due to recent hire of Stefano Domenicali. Extended rumor surrounds their purchase of an existing team, rather than starting from scratch. Most resonance underground noise has their (alleged) focus on purchasing, and renaming of TR. Noise will of course grow even more, should Alonso (at least to my surprise) gets reunited with Stefano in 2015. Can't helped to add (sarcastically of course) old wisdom on how to make a million in F1 is, that you start with a billion, and CVC takes care of the rest. The only aspect which makes sense to me is, that Mercedes is getting attention internationally, whereas Audi not as much, despite all their success in racing elsewhere, and that might be a sore point. BMW of course is a technology leader in many aspects, and people with money to get one know that, thus this automaker doesn't need as much F1, as F1 might need entities like them (as Asian markets indicate, where Volkswagen, BMW and Mercedes fighting like crazy for premiership in sales).
Sakae

Postby Mach on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:14 am

Alonso going to an upstart team to further delay chances of winning a WDC is rubish

Mach

Postby Sakae on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:19 am

This last minute call for 3 cars is bursting at the seams.

RBR - confirmed as willing
Ferrari - confirmed as willing
McLaren - yet to confirm its commitment

Mercedes - next in line, should McLaren decline

Ecclestone and JT are running rather pretty weird setup on choosing who would have three cars IMO.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:22 am

Mach wrote:Alonso going to an upstart team to further delay chances of winning a WDC is rubish

You mean to say rubbish rumor? Well, they have him now in Lotus uniform, how about that idea? I bet Alonso is fully enjoying cheap interest.
Sakae

Postby Sakae on Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:30 am

Sakae wrote:This last minute call for 3 cars is bursting at the seams.

RBR - confirmed as willing
Ferrari - confirmed as willing
McLaren - yet to confirm its commitment

Mercedes - next in line, should McLaren decline

Ecclestone and JT are running rather pretty weird setup on choosing who would have three cars IMO.

For now, Formula 1 and its race promoters will have to cope with a diminished grid as big teams are promised at least two months notice before having to field three-car teams.

Whole two months to get a car, driver, parts, engine... Really? How generous of F1 governance. I must be getting really old, because nothing makes sense to me anymore.
Sakae

Postby Mach on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Sakae wrote:
Mach wrote:Alonso going to an upstart team to further delay chances of winning a WDC is rubish

You mean to say rubbish rumor? Well, they have him now in Lotus uniform, how about that idea? I bet Alonso is fully enjoying cheap interest.

Yes to rubbish rumor...thanks for fixing my oversight....caffeine hasn't kicked in yet :coffee:
Alonso announced, some time ago, he won't be driving a Mercedes powered team....so how can he be going to Lotus?

Mach

Postby Paolo 2 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:02 pm

an interesting article from The Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... ndretti-f1
Paolo 2

Postby Sakae on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:16 pm

As Graeme Lowdon, the president of Marussia put it just days before his team joined Caterham in administration: “The current recipe, in terms of sporting and technical regulations, has produced a sport that nobody can afford.

Notable - regulations - not budget cap - need changes to produce an affordable product. Well, (some, hopefully majority of) fans are attuned to that directive for years, why not FOM and FiA as well?
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:22 am

Sakae wrote:
Lawrence wrote:I miss 1989 when there were 21 teams.
What aspect had appeal to you...

Everything, from the large number of teams, to all the interesting cars and drivers, to full grids of squabbling racers, too getting up early in the morning at the Phoenix Grand Prix to watch pre-qualifying. This was what racing is about, full of color, stories, peoples, different cars and fighting teams.

..., which you don't have today, except the obvious, crowded track?

What we have today looks stale in comparison.

But there is another process here which I don't think Max Mosely and Bernie Ecclestone ever understood (and why I still fault them both for the current problem)...which was that if you are not growing...then you are dying. Teams come and go, nothing new there. But you need a constant flow of new teams coming into a formula to keep it fresh and lively. The attempt to limit F1 to 10 or 12 select teams has always struggled to work and eventually seems to want to naturally drop down below 10 teams. They need to make F1 as attractive as possible for new teams, and if they want 24 cars to start a race (and why only 24?), then they need to have 14 or 15 teams. You won't have that unless you make the $$$ work for the new teams. Obviously, it does not as the last three teams to join F1 have failed.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Paolo 2 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:45 am

let's not forget that Williams used to be a hopeless backmarker in the 70s, or that what is now Lotus struggled for ages to get through pre-qualifying... they were given a chance, first of all a chance to compete, and then a chance to grow. Preventing new blood coming into F1 doesn't make any sense for anyone apart from the incumbents' shareholders

And yes, I miss a full grid, I miss many teams giving a chance to many young hopefuls, I miss years when you had in line 4s and V6 turbos racing against V8s, V10 and screaming Ferrari and Lamborghini V12s :emo: :emo: :emo:
Paolo 2

Postby Lawrence on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Paolo 2 wrote:let's not forget that Williams used to be a hopeless backmarker in the 70s, or that what is now Lotus struggled for ages to get through pre-qualifying... they were given a chance, first of all a chance to compete, and then a chance to grow. Preventing new blood coming into F1 doesn't make any sense for anyone apart from the incumbents' shareholders

And yes, I miss a full grid, I miss many teams giving a chance to many young hopefuls, I miss years when you had in line 4s and V6 turbos racing against V8s, V10 and screaming Ferrari and Lamborghini V12s :emo: :emo: :emo:

Completely agree.
Lawrence

PreviousNext

Return to Formula One Talk