ad
Countdown to 2016 Australian Grandprix:
2016 Formula1 World Championship Calendar

Australia | Bahrain | China | Russia | Spain | Monaco | Canada | Baku | Austria | Great Britain | Hungary | Germany | Belgium | Italy | Singapore | Malaysia | Japan | USA | Mexico | Brazil | Abu Dhabi

Cockpit protection

Talk about the Teams & Drivers

Moderators: Lyria, Mafia, Lawrence, Administrator

Cockpit protection

Postby Warweezil on Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:01 pm

Was reading Autosport on my phone at work today... Now while F1 doesn't really get my blood running any more I do follow developments that might affect me from a Marshaling perspective Even if I continue to ignore the British GP, a lot of stuff filters down to the lower series that visit our humble local circuit.

I spotted an item about the new cockpit protection designs, there was a picture of the Mercedes "halo" which is apparently the front runner of the 3 under consideration. I looked at it, and said to Lee....
"hmmm F1 guys are getting "Y fronts"" ^o^

I'm sorry it just seems to fit... so I thought Id share.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV.
Original Member no 137
The voices in my head may not be real..... but they have some damned good ideas
On Post.... Out there..... Up Close & Personal
Warweezil

Re: Cockpit protection

Postby Lawrence on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:52 pm

Well, anything that protects the drivers is hard to argue with, but there are trade-offs. I am sure no one really wants to go back to the days when 25% or more of the drivers did not survive their career. That said, I am not sure how much additional protection the Halo offers.
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Mach on Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Warweezil wrote:Was reading Autosport on my phone at work today... Now while F1 doesn't really get my blood running any more I do follow developments that might affect me from a Marshaling perspective Even if I continue to ignore the British GP, a lot of stuff filters down to the lower series that visit our humble local circuit.

I spotted an item about the new cockpit protection designs, there was a picture of the Mercedes "halo" which is apparently the front runner of the 3 under consideration. I looked at it, and said to Lee....
"hmmm F1 guys are getting "Y fronts"" ^o^

I'm sorry it just seems to fit... so I thought Id share.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV.

Soooo....Y-fronts for cockpit protection 8)
:clint:
"We exercised our veto in compliance with our legitimate commercial right to do business as a powertrain manufacturer" Maurizio Arrivabene
Mach

Postby Warweezil on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:10 am

Mach wrote:Soooo....Y-fronts for cockpit protection 8)

Wouldnt it be funny if a team came up with a "Boxer" engine to add to a car fitted with "Y fronts"? :rotflmao: ^o^ :rotflmao:

"scuse my twisted sense of humour - although members who recall me from the long past days of members like "Sparkly BMW Girl" and "Alias" will know this is normal for me. Just keeping my spirits up, learned yesterday that with the collapse in the price of scrap metal my job is looking shaky.... recovery? we are not seeing it in my area! :banghead:
Original Member no 137
The voices in my head may not be real..... but they have some damned good ideas
On Post.... Out there..... Up Close & Personal
Warweezil

Postby Lawrence on Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:57 pm

Looks like it is happening: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/f1-start-racing-partially-closed-131932315.html

I gather it will be something like an halo type arrangement.

Opinions from people who were actually drivers?
"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
Lawrence

Postby Paolo 2 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Lawrence wrote:Looks like it is happening: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/f1-start-racing-partially-closed-131932315.html

I gather it will be something like an halo type arrangement.

Opinions from people who were actually drivers?

I don't like it, I think that it solves far fewer problems than it seems to be solving and creates new ones (getting out of a car which is upside-down will be a struggle). Everything that makes getting out of the car slower is not for me. BUT some might like it
Paolo 2

Postby Sakae on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:15 pm

Red Bull has on the table a different solution (counter-proposal). On drivers side, Hülkenberg is on the record that he dosen't like cockpit protection of any design at all.
Whatever you do, don’t just do it. Push it forward! [Whitelines]
Sakae

Postby Lawrence on Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Paolo 2 wrote:(getting out of a car which is upside-down will be a struggle).

How often does that happen vice how often a flying object hit the driver?

I assume that the halo does not stop all flying objects, just the large ones and the ones on the correct trajectory. I think there would have to be a windscreen to really provide full protection.
Lawrence

Return to Formula One Talk